Wierd Cake Request For 29 Year Old!

Decorating By KaraN Updated 7 May 2008 , 1:00pm by chassidyg

KaraN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraN Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:09am
post #1 of 41

Ok. A coworker's birthday is next month. She will be 29 and she requested that I do a cake for her (probably a 9 or 10" round) with "Red" from Fraggle Rock (the muppet cartoon) on it. I never even knew who Red was until I saw her on the internet. So I could trace her in piping gel and transfer that to the cake or a FBCT (which I have never done yet.) Or.....any other suggestions? oh-also, she wants cream cheese icing. Now this might be a stupid question, but does cream cheese icing take icing colors as well as BC because the C.Cheese icing I have used is not as white. HELP!!!

40 replies
KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:16am
post #2 of 41

I'm 29 and I totally get her request--that was the best show when we were little kids!

If you are good at modeling you could try making a figure out of MMF . . . but the other suggestion I have is probably easier. Make a round cake to look like the inside of a cave . . . you could probably find some pics on the internet from the original show . . . and then just use a toy Red as the topper. Either way, thats going to be a really cool cake.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:20am
post #3 of 41

How cool

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:26am
post #4 of 41

I'm 29 as well and I remember watching that show. It was great! It's too bad they don't make shows like that anymore. As for ideas, I would do a transfer. Either a chocolate transfer or what you had suggested before. They are pretty simple I just did a chocolate transfer last week and it turned out well. As for the frosting I don't know. I wouldn't think it would make a difference in the colors. At least not too much anyways. HTH.

KaraN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraN Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:31am
post #5 of 41

I'm 27 and I did watch Fraggle Rock but I can't remember the names of all of them!!! I must be getting old! Ha ha. How do I do a chocolate transfer? I have never done a transfer yet, so I do an outline in BC on wax paper and fill in the colors...and then....????

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 2:42am
post #6 of 41

I used the colored candy melts to make them just like a FBCT. They're actually a lot easier to make then FBCT. Here's a link that might help you.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13945&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 41

Fragle Rock was awesome! I can't wait to see the cake!!

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 41

Here's what I would do. Do the FBCT of just the face and eyes (or the whole body, but being a round cake I would just do the face) Then use tip 233, it's usually used for grass, but I use it for fur all the time, and pull out lots of hair. So the hair is 3-D. Maybe make some MMF or other such substance eyes so they are a bit 3-D as well, you know, mound them up a bit.

The other question about the Cream Cheese Icing. I don't know how well it takes colors, I have always been afraid to use it for decorations, just because i don't think it would hold up as well. When asked for Cream cheese frosting I usually ice the cake with the cream cheese icing (it will crust) and then decorate with buttercream. It works great.

Good luck!

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 41

You can decorate on cream cheese icing. I had this request about a week ago for a fishing cake and it turned out fine. I would do a chocolate transfer. I have tried the FBCT and they are not so easy icon_sad.gif

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 41

Sorry don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to comment... I'll be 29 in April and I love Fraggle Rock, I actually own a few of the dvd's, and I don't know if anyone remembers Boober fraggle, but he was my fav.....see username!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 41

i'm a little older than 29 but i remember fraggle rock. i can't find our tapes anymore.

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 41

to all fraggle rock fans
there is a FRAGGLE ROCK-THE MOVIE
IN PRODUCTION right now to be out in 2009

so this is good practice because there will be alot of request for Fraggle Rock cakes when the movie comes out

frozen buttercream transfer are easy
but if you do one
do it the size of the cake
so that you just lay it over the top

TooCuteRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooCuteRose Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 41

fraggle rock??? never even heard of it...but TMNT i did...this will be an awesome cake...good luck...

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 41

Wow, fraggle rock!! Now there's a blast from the past!! LOL icon_smile.gif

CMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMarie Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 41

I'm only 23 and I LOVE Fraggle Rock!!! I'm excited that they are making a movie!!! I had a dog named Sprocket when I was younger! Back to the subject, I like the cave idea, that sounds cool!

CMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMarie Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 41

I found this website that has some cool Fraggle Rock figurines, If you made the cave cake these would be perfect!

http://www.timelesstrinkets.com/Other/Other-1980-Toys-Contents.html

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 41

I just have to say that we have season 1 on DVD and my kids love it too! I was just looking at the box to see when it aired - from 1983 to 1988. I was in Junior High and it was on a channel that we didn't have at our house so everytime I went to a friend's house we would watch it! Incidently- the box says it was the first American series to air in the Soviet Union!

The cave idea is awesome! Another option would be to make a figure and use Feather Boa for her hair!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:26pm
post #18 of 41

Oh I loved Fraggle Rock.............I will be 29 in September............make sure you post a pic of the finished cake!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #19 of 41

CC rocks!! I just came in from running errands and while at Target, I ran into a fraggle Rock "Red" plush doll!! I get home, hop on CC and what do ya know? There's a thread about Fraggle Rock- I totally got excited when I saw the doll and when I exclaimed how cool it was, my 1 year old looked at me as if I were speaking a foreign language! I'd definately go with the fondant figure sitting on the round cake, but if that's not an option, the FBCT sounds good as well. Good Luck with the cake. BTW as you can probably tell, I'm in the same age bracket as the birthday girl cause I got totally excited when I saw this thread!

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:38pm
post #20 of 41

oh wow, I am 36 and loved fraggle Rock, will definately be looking for the movie for me and my kids though they may trip out when I start singing the song with it !! LOL

Good Luck on your cake though !!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 41

Now I'm a little older than you kids are, but I loved (and still do love) Fraggle Rock. I'd make sure that my housework, etc., was done when it came on so that I could sit and watch it with my kids! Now that there's a movie coming out, I'll bet that my girls and I will take all of the 11 grandchildren to see it! I can't wait! Do you all remember the little Christmas show that was also done by Jim Henson called Emmett Otter and the Jug Band Christmas? I got to see it last year by chance, and all those old memories came back. I love these. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and for letting me know about the new movie! I can't wait to tell my girls! Oh yea, please post the picture of the cake when you're done.

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 10:13pm
post #22 of 41

OMG I thought I was the only one who remembers Fraggle Rock...mention them nowadays and kids look at you like you have an extra head! (I'll be 26 in April BTW...he he he) I also have them on DVD and my favorite is Mogley...and the trash pile, I love the trash pile...remember when she froze and they had to feed her soup to thaw her out???...LOL

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 10:17pm
post #23 of 41

OK I am going to HAVE to find a DVD of Fraggle Rock!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 10:27pm
post #24 of 41

Try Walmart in the kids DVD's...they usually have some

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #25 of 41

i loved emmett otter. we have a million muppet tapes. i'm always trying to talk my kids into watching them. guess i'll have to hire some kids to take to the fraggle rock movie. i love the dozers

nicolesplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesplace Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:30pm
post #26 of 41

I'm also in the same age bracket. Loved Fraggle Rock!!!! I was talking to a friend the other night about our childhood shows & how they are are being rehashed for our children. My brother & I used to watch Fraggle Rock, Rainbow Brite & the Raccoons I think that they were the only shows our mom allowed us to watch. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #27 of 41

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

Work your cares away,
Dancing's for another day.
Let the Fraggles play,
We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red.

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

LOL Sorry just had to sing! I'll be 26 in July...I loved Red! and the Builders. I love the Idea for a cave. With a Red figure. So cute, can't wait to see the cake.

marthajo1 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:45pm
post #28 of 41

Have you done this cake yat? I would love to see what you came up with!

marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:26am
post #29 of 41

So any word on the fraggle cake?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:45am
post #30 of 41

Ok this is how sad I am. My first thought was this 29 year old was more into Ecstasy the drug then the cartoon Fraggle Rock. Sadly these days more and more young people that say they love a cartoon is because that is the type of drug they use. Ecstasy comes with all kinds of cartoon pictures on them. Then the person who is talking about the drug can just use the cartoon name so others don't know they are talking about drugs.

How do I know this??? Because a friend of mine has a son who claimed to LOVE Scooby Do. She thought it was the cartoon and started to buy him all sorts of things with Scooby Do on it. Even had his cake made with Scooby Do on it. Then one day one of his friends was over heard saying "Your mom is so cool to get you Scooby Do stuff". To which the son reply was "Ya, but she has no clue it's the Scooby Do ecstasy pills I love and not the show".

Sad huh?

But then reading the post I'm now thinking I'm wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%