Tips On Cutting The Cake

Decorating By dydemus Updated 25 Feb 2006 , 8:01pm by traci

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 5

Today I stayed to cut the cake at the event as was requested by the hostess. While I was cutting, I wondered, are there any really great knives or other tools that people use that they swear by? I always have my "toolbox" for quick repairs, but is there something for cutting the cake that makes it easier?

4 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 5

I stayed and the cut the cake for the last wedding cake I did. I really made quite a mess!!! There is a cutting chart in most wilton yearbooks. I really wish I had looked at it because I would have done a much better job! icon_biggrin.gif

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

Earlene Moore's cake cutting tips are the best I've seen. I still make a mess, but it's a controlled mess.

http://earlenescakes.com/cakeservinst.htm

JessicaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaM Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

I agree that Earleane's cutting charts are much better than Wilton's, I just think it's easier to cut the cake her way. Now I don't go by her servings, just her general cutting directions. I also think if you're serving a wedding or other 2 layer cake as opposed to a single layer sheet cake, it's much, much easier w/ 2 people. I always have someone help me, at least to hold plates as I put the cake on them and set them out of my way or give them to guests.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 5

JessicaM,

I will have to check out Earlene's cutting chart though I am not sure I will ever do that again! I was lucky that there was someone next to me with plates. I still made a huge mess!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%