What In The Heck Went Wrong(Urgent Help)

Baking By jmcakes Updated 2 Mar 2006 , 8:58pm by BalloonWhisk

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 4

I just finished making almond butter cookies. the recipe was posted by euphorybaker...The dough will not shape into a ball for me to chill...what do i need to do?

3 replies
slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know, but what is it doing? Is it too stiff that it won't form a ball (crumbly), or is it too soft and won't hold its shape?

I'd be tempted to add a bit more liquid if it's too crumbly, or a bit more flour if it's too soft, but I'm not a cookie pro by any means, LOL!

The one time I had cookie dough that was not looking or feeling right, I discovered that I had added twice as much butter as the recipe called for (I used two cups instead of two sticks) and I just divided it in half and added the right amount of ingredients to correct it.

Take a good look at the recipe and see if maybe you used the wrong amount of something . . .

Good luck!
Laura.

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 4

It does sound like perhaps too much flour. Or the butter could still be really cold and not adhering to the dry ingredients. I've heard that 65 is about the correct temp to add it. Slightly soft, but not too soft.

I used to run into overly-dry mixtures often until I began sifting my flour two or three times before I measured it. It's really easy to get too much other wise.

Did you add an egg?

I hope you are able to figure out what went wrong and salvage your recipe. Ingredients are way too expensive these days.

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 4

Gather it into a ball as much as you can and wrap it in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge. Lots of sandier doughs come together given time and cold, and letting the butter un-melt will take care of too gooey dough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%