Question: Topsy-Turvy Cakes

Decorating By Tweedy Updated 27 Feb 2006 , 5:19am by DiscoLady

Tweedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedy Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 5:45am
post #1 of 23

Do you need to finish off the topsy-turvy cakes in fondant or can you use just buttercream icing? I love the looks of those cakes, very creative! icon_cool.gif

22 replies
izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 5:52am
post #2 of 23

The only problem with buttercream is you have to decorate each layer before stacking, but I guess you have to do that with regualr stacked cakes too, so why not?! Go for it!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 5:53am
post #3 of 23

I don't think there is a rule that it has to be done in fondant. icon_smile.gif If I ever get around to one of these it will be in buttercream.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 7:10am
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedy

Do you need to finish off the topsy-turvy cakes in fondant or can you use just buttercream icing? I love the looks of those cakes, very creative! icon_cool.gif

Whimsical Bakehouse makes them using buttercream.

StarAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarAmy Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 7:30am
post #5 of 23

I did a topsy turvy cake in buttercream, and it worked great! Go for it!

all4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cakes Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 23

Check out my photos....I recently did the topsy turvy cake and used buttercream for everything. Was pretty easy and YUMMY!!! thumbs_up.gif

Tweedy Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 23

That's very cute, all4cakes. Well done and love the colours you chose to use.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 23

I JUST did a topsy turvy in buttercream with fondant accents. You can see it in my photo album. It was a little tricky, icing it before stacking, but I think it came out pretty good. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 23

crisseyann,

You did a fantastic job on your whimsy cake! I was just wondering what size pans you used for each tier. I would like to try one of these cakes but need something much smaller than the instructions on this site.

Any suggestions on what pan sizes to use for a smaller cake??? icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 12:39am
post #10 of 23

Hi, traci... thank you for the compliment! For my cake, I used only two different sizes for each level instead of three, as shown in the tutorial on this site. My bottom layer was 8 and 9 inch, middle layer 6 and 7, top layer 4 and 5 inch. Each layer is torted so you end up with four layers for each level. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 12:52am
post #11 of 23

In the mini cake set I have, the layers are 2, 3 and 4"... I don't use the 2" it is so small, I add a 5 or 6 inch instead. Janice

traci Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:09am
post #12 of 23

Thank-you! I will have to give it a try soon. I think I will do a 2 tier cake and see how it goes! icon_smile.gif

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:12am
post #13 of 23

Could someone send me the instructions for the topsy turvy cake I would love to try one. They look so cute. Ya'll did such a great job on all your caKes. CC is great for newbies.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:32am
post #14 of 23

I'm only doing these cakes in buttercream from now on...much much easier in my opinion. I like that it can be chilled really well for easy transport/assembly and my corners are much sharper in buttercream than in fondant.

Here's mine:
LL

Tweedy Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:33am
post #15 of 23
poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:59am
post #16 of 23

Tweedy thank you for the site. Are they really hard to make.

Tweedy Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 6:23am
post #17 of 23

You're welcome. I haven't tried one yet but am tossing the idea around for my niece's upcoming 7th birthday. icon_smile.gif

traci Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 3:34pm
post #18 of 23

antonia74,

I really love your cake. You did a fantastic job! thumbs_up.gif

What size pan did you use on each tier and did you use Martha's icing to decorate with?

Another question...do you find that Martha's frosting recipe makes it difficult to stack tiers??? Just wondering since it does not crust. Any advice???
Thanks icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 3:42pm
post #19 of 23

Hi Traci...

Yes, it is Martha's Italian Meringue buttercream. The tiers are 5", 9" and 13" rounds.

I think it is really easy to stack, but I've never used a crusting buttercream...so I can't compare it well, sorry.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 8:18pm
post #20 of 23

This is my first whimsy cake all buttercream with fondant accents. I used the regular stacking method because the bottoms of the cakes were basically flat so I didn't need to make the wells.
The only problem I had with this cake is that I majorly undercharged!!!
LL

Tweedy Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 11:22pm
post #21 of 23

Discolady, that's great. Love the colours!!

traci Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 2:28am
post #22 of 23

It really looks great. I have decided to experiment with making only one small tier first. I am going to use my 3 inch pans using sizes 5 and 6. If I can mange the one tier without any issues. I might freeze and then attempt another bigger tier and try the stacking.

I think what might be steering me away is that I really do not want to have to dig the wells!!!

Discolady...I am assuming you must have used the sharpened dowel down the center of the cake??? Also...did you use a firm cake??? I am thinking about using a nice pound cake.

I will let you guys know if I make just one huge mess!!! I tried one of these in December and gave up when my sister's dog ate one of my layers!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 5:19am
post #23 of 23

Thanks ladies...
I used regular Betty Crocker cake mix and I did not freeze my cakes but they were refrigerated over night so they were pretty firm and I trimmed them first and filled them after. And yes I used a center dowel...I ALWAYS use a center dowel on my tiered cakes...ya just never know!!
Case in point: Wedding cake contest at the fair...girl enters beautiful stacked (3) fondant covered cake...figures it will just be sitting there thru the fair right? I return later that afternoon for the judging...room has grown quite hot from summer weather...her cake is slumped over in a big mushy pile on the counter...no center dowel in sight...bummer.
P.S. Regarding Top tier: I sliced the top of the tier at an angle, bottom was flat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%