Business License/commercial Kitchen

Baking By heidinamba Updated 28 Feb 2006 , 3:09am by 3inafternoon

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 4

I decorate custom cookies. I'm to the point where I want to make it a part time job. I'm getting together my website and brochures and I already sell plenty of cookies to friends and family. I've inquired with the state (washington state) about the steps to getting my business license. It seems so complicated! I guess the part about being able to bake ONLY from licensed and inspected kitchens is what complicates it. You definitely cannot bake from your own home kitchen in a business. I'm told that different establishments will rent out their kitchens regularly. How does this work? And where do you find somewhere that will suit your needs? Has anyone done this who is reading my message? This is certainly a deterrent for me but I want to get my license. I don't want to start selling to the general public until I can be official. I've been told that people can really sue you if you don't have your license and they get sick from something you made. Yikes!


3 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 4

I am in the same position. Try checking on church kitchens. I have just talked with the Elks Lodge here and they are more than willing to rent but they want more than I want to spend (not to mention that even though it pases inspection, I feel I need to clean it better--especially the oven). The man in chrge, can't remember his title, said they would work with me on a price but I don't know where to begin on that.

A cookng school here that I am associated with for cake decorating birthday parties will also rent, but I haven't talked price with them, plus they have limited space for my supplies. They are trying to get me to rent the space down from them but at $1500 a month, I would have to be baking and selling non-stop. I woud have all the expense of putting in appliances and decorating. If I could afford $1500 rent, I wouldn't need to rent their kitchen.

Other places may be businesses that close early--like around 3:00. We have a couple of restaurants that are only open for lunch. Check around--sorry this is so long and I'm not much help.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 4

check in the busiess section of this forum.....its all about issues like this!!!

sorry......each state is different on what they require, so i cant be of more help.


3inafternoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3inafternoon Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 3:09am
post #4 of 4

How about checking out some of the local churches. I know many churches have wonderful kitchens that are hardly in use. They could always use the extra money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%