Friend With Stage 4 Cancer Need Cake Idea

Decorating By MichelleG Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 1:31pm by Lexy

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 23

Hello, I'm hoping that the wonderful cake lovers of this site can help me. My best friend was just diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer, the cancer was also found in her lungs and ovaries. She is only 39 with 4 children and has been given a few years to live. This came as a complete surpise she is always full of energy and it's amazing how fast your life can change in a matter of a few weeks.
What I need help with is my husband and I are doing a beef N beer party to help raise some money for the medical expenses. I will be doing a cake for about 100 people and I'm having a hard time coming up with any ideas on how to decorate the cake and what to say on it. I would love any help with this

Thank you icon_sad.gif

22 replies
cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 23

something cheery (sp?) flowers and bright happy colors. maybe teired with a bow? HTH

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 23

I can't help with the cake, but I am so sorry for what your friend and her family have to go through. Life really isn't fair. icon_sad.gif

salsera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsera Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 23

If you're worried about how to approach the cancer issue, you could have the cake revolve around the party theme instead? I've never seen a steak and beer cake before icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 23

There is a steak cake in the gallery that looks cool and you could do a beer keg.

If you want something different though you could do sheet cake saying thank you or with flowers. Cupcakes may work too. You can make them look like lil' ice cream floats by cutting up twizlers to a smaller size and sticking them in for the straw, adding a red M&M (letter side down so it can't be seen) for the cherry and adding little sprinkles.

DancingMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingMoon Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 23

Is your friend "known" for anything? Like, is she very much into a hobby or so, then you could get inspiration from that. Like a knitting cake or a gardening cake or whatever

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 23

First of all, let me say that I'm sorry for what is going on. I lost my friend to cancer a year and a half ago and know how difficult it is. Some things aren't fair at all.

But I know one thing my friend hated was when we'd feel sorry for him or try to be nice whenever possible; he even acted like a jerk on purpose to "test" us.

I guess what I'm saying is be cheerful- don't make her feel like an unfortunate person who needs consolation. I guess that's all the help I can offer. thumbs_up.gif

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 23

How about making the cake look like a donation jar of some sort seeing as that is the whole point of the party? You could have extra sheet cakes to serve too to get your 100 servings.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 23

How about RAINBOWS !! How much more colorful and cheerful can you get ?

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 23

Sorry for your friend I just lost my cousin to brain cancer. and my youngest son was diagosed the first of the year with ewing sarcoma. Its been tough to think about baking but it is my great stress reliever. Sometimes its hard to think happy I agree that if your friend has hobbies that would work. How about the pink ribbons cakes they do represent hope. With it being spring flowers butterflies etc. might be uplifting. I'm doing a large Thank You cake this week for the teachers at the school where my DIL worked they have been bringing dinners every week I decided on basket weave and flowers. Good luck and God bless you and your friend

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 23

Spring flowers....LOTS of spring flowers!! They are cheerful and make ME think of life renewing! Don't write anything on the cake! Make a 16" round with basketweave around the sides and all the flowers (ooooo and BUTTERFLIES) on top!

You are a good friend and may God bless you and your friend.

Beth in KY

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 23

How about a big red ribbon cake. Every cause seems to have a colored ribbon and I believe that cancer is red (don't quote me on that though). It goes with the theme of raising money and awareness. You could even do mini cupcake with small ribbons on them.

So sorry to hear about your friend.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #13 of 23

I would do something pretty & cheerful. I would definitely stay away from anything to do with cancer/raising money... she will probably just want everyone to act happy and normal so I would suggest a colorful cake with flowers, bright colors, etc... If it's for 100 people personally I would do a tiered cake, simply because I think they are so much cooler than sheet cakes. icon_smile.gif I agree with PP who said don't write anything on the cake. Good luck and I'm so sorry about your friend icon_sad.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 23

how about one like these by SweetResults to fit your beef and beer theme?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-307703.html
or
http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-166293.html

here's where she told how she did the bottles:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1678201-.html#1678201

and of course PM her!!

(and for fun could do a small steak cake -- one that looks cooked -- just for her and serve it as if serving her a real one!)

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:38pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

How about RAINBOWS !! How much more colorful and cheerful can you get ?

Ohmy. That's so close to Rainbow Bridge. I wouldn't.

I'd go for a pretty cake, no theme.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 23

Just found this on the home page. Only use lighter and brighter flowers! I love this idea!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-313513.html

I hope this works! If not go to FirstTimeCakes and check out her gallery.

Beth in KY

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:51pm
post #17 of 23

How about something using the symbol of wheat. Wheat symbolizes life, at least that's what they talked about on Emeril one night. It could go along with the theme of the party. Definitely a tiered cake, much easier to serve 100 people, and I would think because of the different levels, much more decorating possibilities. God Bless you and your friend and her family. May I ask what her first name is so that I can put her on our prayer list at church? You can pm me with it if you'd like.

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:55pm
post #18 of 23

I knew I came to the right spot to get ideas. Thank you everyone !!!!
I like the idea of the the tiered cake with the basketweave. I just bought the butterflies from sugarcraft and that would go well with the bright flowers.

Thank you again
Michelle

MarciaStewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarciaStewart Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 23

I did a cake for a coworker who just finished her chemo for breast cancer. She wasn't into the whole pink ribbon thing, so I focused on her obsession of Starbucks.
LL

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:04am
post #20 of 23

I'd stick with light and bright as many have suggested. I wouldn't get too "funeral" cake on people and I'd probably avoid inspirational, simply because this is supposed to be a party and she's probably getting all the inspirational advice she can handle at the moment.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:56am
post #21 of 23

First off I want to say sorry to hear of this news and I wish the best outcome for your friend and family! I just did a cake for a benefit for a friends brother that has stage four too. I based my cake on the theme of the benefit! I would do a themed based cake or a basketweave cake that is colorful and springy looking! Good Luck

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 11:48pm
post #22 of 23

I'm really sorry about your friend. My mom is a survivor of breast cancer, twice so I know how difficult it is to hear that it is....cancer.

My mom didn't want pity and did not want to be defined by her disease so I suggest you take the focus off of the disease and on life. I suggest a tiered cake in fun and funky bright colors and flowers. My first thought is a madhatter-style cake bright pinks and yellows and purples. I wouldn't put any writing, just a cheery, fun, great-tasting cake.

God bless you for all that you are doing for your friend. She appreciates it more than you will ever know. thumbs_up.gif

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:31pm
post #23 of 23

i really like this steak cake.

steak (11th cake down)
http://www.dmentd.com/cakes.php

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%