How Do I Keep My Cakes From Getting That Large Hump?

Decorating By ChrisJ Updated 23 Feb 2006 , 11:25pm by ge978

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 16

I have a electric oven and my cakes always seem to get that hump in them. I've tried lowering the oven, bake even strips, letting the cake batter settle in the pan before I put it in the oven, but nothing I've tried yet seems to work. Does anyone have any advice? I hate shaving off so much cake!

15 replies
Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 16

There's really no way to prevent it form happening everytime. It's just something that kind of happens. Even with all the "gadgets' out there to supposedly prevent it.

Try flipping the cake over after being out of the oven for 5-10 minutes, onto something to keep it "flattened". Other than that' there's not much you can do. There's a reason they make the cake cutters. Because it's not something you can easily control.

Other people have other techniques that they'll share too.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 16

HMMMMM!!! You've tried pretty much anything I could suggest!

I use wet paper towels or wet strips of an old tea towel around my cake pan. I bake all my cakes at 325. It takes a bit longer to cook them but it's just a caution so I don't get an undone burned cake.

I really don't have any different suggestions.

Amy

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 16

Lower the oven more.

It has nothing to do with how your oven is fueled, you know.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 16

Don't know if this could be the problem but it might help. What kind of pans are you using? Until recently, I only baked in the Wilton pans you get from Michaels. I only have one Magic Line cake pan now but IMHO it bakes the levelest cake I have ever had. It is the really thick pan that has very straight corners and edges. Wilton makes one (Decorator Preferred®) but it didn't seem as thick as the Magic Line I bought online.

Hope that helps!

ChrisJ Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 16

Some electric ovens can bake "hotter" than gas, that's why I've tried lowering the oven. I guess I'll have to keep feeding the shavings to my kids.

Thanks everyone for your help.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 16

I got this from someone on this site, it does not prevent the hump, but it takes care of it.

When you remove your ckae from the oven, take a clean towel and lightly press the top flat while it is still in the pan. Of course, be carelful, the cake is hot.

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Some electric ovens can bake "hotter" than gas,

And some gas ovens bake hotter than electric. Most ovens are inaccurate one way or the other, and which way is not related to how they are fueled. Get a thermometer and figure out what temp you're actually baking at. In the meantime, the hump indicates that you are baking too hot.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 16

Just had to add how much I hate my oven....it is gas. I hate the stovetop even more cause I have no plasticware left since I melted it all. Since I am venting I hate my kitchen too it is soooooo dinky. I will post a pic. Lets have a contest to see who has the smallest kitchen........lol.
LL
LL

Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 16

I never have a cake to bake up in the middle...I put the batter in the pan and spread it evenly then I pull the batter out to the edge(about 1"wide all the way around) leaving sorta of a well in the middle. I use Wilton pans and bake at 325. I can't remember the last time I had to level a cake. Of course I don't make as many as you do..I am a family and friends baker only. I wish I could explain better. Let me know if you don't understand.

ChrisJ Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 16

It's funny that it doesn't happen when I use a scratch recipe, just cake mixes. mjones17, you are too funny! I needed to laugh icon_smile.gif

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 16

Have you tried the Wilton baking strips? They work pretty good.
But when I get lazy... after taking the cakes out of the oven I place a paper towel on top of it and place a slightly smaller pan on top of it and place a can of veggies on top for a few minutes. Works like a charm!!!
But my precious hubby misses the scraps icon_rolleyes.gif

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 16

Well, you've gotten your answers but I wanted to say that I see a big difference between my Wilton pans and my one Magic Line pan. The Magic Line pan doesn't bake my mixes perfectly flat, but it is definitely much, much flatter than when baked with the cheaper Wilton pans.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamie

I got this from someone on this site, it does not prevent the hump, but it takes care of it.

When you remove your ckae from the oven, take a clean towel and lightly press the top flat while it is still in the pan. Of course, be carelful, the cake is hot.

Maybe from me! That has been my life saver. Works every time for me.

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 16

Have you tried not greasing the sides of the pan? This isn't foolproof but it does help the hump a little...

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 16

mjones: You are too funny!! I can't win for the smallest kitchen...perhaps we could have the ugliest kitchen contest?I have a chance at winning that icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%