Soup Can - What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By talking_head Updated 3 Apr 2006 , 4:34pm by rlm5150

talking_head Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talking_head Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 5

I baked some cake batter in a soup can this past weekend. I filled it up only half way, yet the when I looked abt 20 mins. later, the cake had risen too much and had come put of the can all lopsided. What did I do wrong. The cake was done and came out of the can easily though, but it had a bend and looked like an elbow. What did I do wrong?

4 replies
Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't had much luck baking cakes in soup cans, the tuna cans work perfectly though. I'd say it's because it's too high and narrow though. Just my opinion, based on having tried it and gotten the same results as you.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman66

I haven't had much luck baking cakes in soup cans, the tuna cans work perfectly though. I'd say it's because it's too high and narrow though. Just my opinion, based on having tried it and gotten the same results as you.

I have baked in soup cans for castle towers and it worked fine...I just cut off the excess from the top of the soup can when it was cool....and then popped the cake out

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 12:48am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by talking_head

I baked some cake batter in a soup can this past weekend. I filled it up only half way, yet the when I looked abt 20 mins. later, the cake had risen too much and had come put of the can all lopsided. What did I do wrong. The cake was done and came out of the can easily though, but it had a bend and looked like an elbow. What did I do wrong?

Try putting a collar around it. This way when the cake rises there is some sort of support.

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 5

I baked cake in soup cans recently and just did as KHalstead say's. The only problem was that the choc. cake was so moist it wanted to crumble.
Tabby

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%