Urgent: Using Lemon Extract W/luster On A Chocolate Cake??

Decorating By APCakes Updated 24 Feb 2006 , 3:12am by TexasSugar

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 4:59am
post #1 of 13

For anyone who has painted with luster dust mixed with lemon extract, do you think it would be a bad taste combination with a chocolate cake? It sounds kind of gross to me, but I don't know if there are any other options. Vodka or any actual liquor isn't an option. (although I know the extracts have alcohol in them, ironically, but that's the way it is... icon_smile.gif
I've tried mint extract before but that was REALLY strong and made the whole cake taste really minty. Can I use Wilton clear vanilla, even though it's just an imitation flavor? Any other suggestions?

THANK YOU!!

12 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 5:00am
post #2 of 13

vodka works wonders.

APCakes Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 5:01am
post #3 of 13

Thank you, unfortunately it's not an option (see above).

Any other suggestions?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 5:11am
post #4 of 13

sorry my bad.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 5:18am
post #5 of 13

I'm pretty sure you can use vanilla extract, it just has less alcohol in it than lemon extract so it may take longer for the pieces to dry. Try it on something small to see what happens to be sure if you are worried about it. icon_smile.gif

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 5:21am
post #6 of 13

In her book, Mich Turner uses melted cocoa butter with her colours and then paints it onto the fondant.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 13

I'd be inclined to try the almond extract.

APCakes Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you everyone. I don't know where to get cocoa butter, and I have to do it for tonight, so I'll probably just use one of my extracts. Vanilla seems safest. Not all people like almond, so I don't want to be worrying about that. I guess it will just have a lot of flavor!
Thanks!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 13

What exactly on the cake are you wanting to color? In my photos I have a chocolate cake with royal roses and leaves that I painted with Mahogany Luster Dust. I used the lemon extract and it worked great.

Lazy_Susan

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 13

I've painted using vanilla! It does work, but go with the pure extract not the imitation (just as a matter of taste, nothing else, really).

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 13

I've used vanilla before, no problems...I actually saw on a cake website (some big name cake decorator whose name I can't remember right now) who uses vegetable oil to paint with colors on their cakes....I haven't tried it but am planning to for my baby shower cake Fri. nite. I would imagine it would give it a nice sheen.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 13

Can you actually paint directly on icing?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 3:12am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

Can you actually paint directly on icing?

Yes, you just have to have a light touch and a soft brush, oh and a crusting icing. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%