What Is Simple Syrup Used For?

Decorating By eza91804 Updated 6 Mar 2006 , 10:49pm by MariaLovesCakes

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 2:02am
post #31 of 37

I have always wondered about using the simple syrup, but was worried about sogginess. It doesn't cause mushiness? Does it affect the buttercream you put on after? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can ice the cake after brushing the wash on?

Sorry bout all the questions! icon_redface.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 3:15am
post #32 of 37

I know it would work ok on the scratch cakes - they are usually very dense, small crumb, and on the dry side (at least the ones I have made!). I never thought it would work on a cake based from a mix though - they are so moist to begin with. I will try the strawberry one though because it sounds so good! I'll report back with my opinion. (for what that is worth!) icon_wink.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 7:13am
post #33 of 37

I don't have an exact amount to brush on the cake. I mix 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar and 2 cubes of strawberry puree. Then just brush over tops and edges of cake. Occasionally I use a skewer and poke a few small holes in cake to let the flavor get in deeper.

I never thought I would be one of those people that say "until it looks right" or "until it feels right." But I find myself doing that quite a bit these days.

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 10:28pm
post #34 of 37

And the big question is: How much simple syrup do you pour/brush/spray on to your cake? For example, if I have an 8 inch square cake, how many cups of syrup do I put on it??

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:58pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhipster

And the big question is: How much simple syrup do you pour/brush/spray on to your cake? For example, if I have an 8 inch square cake, how many cups of syrup do I put on it??

Well, I start with a basic recipe, but I think it is a matter of how moist do you want the cake. I have people that like less syrup and others that like more.

So, here is the basic one, for a SCRATCH cake, 8" x "4 (2, 8x2) round cakes. I can probably work for a square one too.

1 cup of water
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla (you can change the flavors)

to this basic recipe you can add, liquors like:

Brandy (1/8 cup)
Amaretto (1-2 tablespoons)

Or pick others you may like.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 9:57pm
post #36 of 37

Just to chime in on whether to use the syrup on a mix or not, well, I always use mine on mix cakes. I just make sure to go light on it -- it really adds a bit of something extra that the customers will remember. The recipe that I've used is:

1/3 cp sugar
1/3 cp water
2 tsp vanilla
juice of 1/2 lemon filtered

You can replace the vanilla with any kind of flavoring.

I did have one cake that turned out a little mushy -- it was a devil's food and that was because I really "soaked" the cake too much. Otherwise, I've not had any problems.

It's been great to get other recipes for this -- thanks!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 10:49pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Just to chime in on whether to use the syrup on a mix or not, well, I always use mine on mix cakes. I just make sure to go light on it -- it really adds a bit of something extra that the customers will remember. The recipe that I've used is:

1/3 cp sugar
1/3 cp water
2 tsp vanilla
juice of 1/2 lemon filtered

You can replace the vanilla with any kind of flavoring.

I did have one cake that turned out a little mushy -- it was a devil's food and that was because I really "soaked" the cake too much. Otherwise, I've not had any problems.

It's been great to get other recipes for this -- thanks!

Thank you for sharing your recipe for syrup. I will keep it in my notes for when I use a cake mix...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%