Fondant Bands

Decorating By nova Updated 15 Apr 2005 , 3:39pm by linnburg

nova Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nova Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 9

hi. i'll be making a wedding cake for a friend, and she wants a half-inch wide blue band around each cake. tried making it out of fondant but it keeps breaking. the longest i can make is 6-8 inches. how do i make the fondant more elastic? or if i opt to use a ribbon, how do i make it stick to the fondant?

8 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 9

I had to use black fondant around 23 centerpiece wedding cakes I made back in November - they are in the gallery. I rolled the fondant out and used a ruler and pizza cutter and actually let it sit for a few minutes before attempting to wrap the cake so it wouldn't stretch. I put the cake on a turntable and layed the fondant ribbon out so I could just flip it up around the cake while I turned the turn table. It worked great!

Hope this helps!

Debbie

linnburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnburg Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 9

I'm going to do a wedding cake with the ribbon bands at the end of May. I just thought I'd use regular ribbon and pin it with a straight pin, then cover the pin with flowers. Fondant sounds good, but I don't think I could keep the "ribbon" a consistent 1/2 inch all the way around. Also I don't think I could make it shiny like satin ribbon. Has anyone done this successfully with fondant?

Sandi

thecakemaker Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 9

You can use a ribbon cutter or ruler to keep the width right and you could try disting it with shimmer dust after it's on the cake for a sheen. My bride specifically requested black fondant ribbon for her cakes so I didn't have a choice!

Debbie

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 9

what a timely topic Thanks I have a cake in may The bride wants a black ribbon under some swags so I suggested fondant

I suppose as I am doing swags over it and the whole thing will not show I could do it in sections??? thanks for the idea of letting it set I would have forgotten that!

thecakemaker Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 9

If you can cover the joints with swags that would be great!

mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 2:57am
post #7 of 9

Your fondant is probably breaking because it is starting to dry out before you apply it to your cake. One way to extend your working time is to knead in a small amount of Crisco into your fondant before rolling it out (about 1 tablespoon of Crisco per pound of fondant). Then cut your fondant with a ribbon cutter or pizza wheel and carefully roll up your ribbon into a loose coil. Place 1 end of your fondant ribbon at the back of your cake and unwind the ribbon coil (attaching it to the cake with a small amount of water).

If you opt to use a real ribbon, you can use a small dab of royal icing to attach the end to the cake. To get the ribbon nice and snug, double wrap it around your cake and use double stick tape or royal icing to secure the end.

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 3:22am
post #8 of 9

I think the idea for securing the ribbon with royal icing is a good one. It would be awful if you weren't there to remove the pin and someone got hurt on it, or God forbid, it wound up getting eaten!! Sorry...I am a big time worrier and this had me scared for you icon_smile.gif

linnburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnburg Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 9

Royal icing is a great idea! Also, I like the idea of double wrapping the ribbon. It seems as though it would be less likely to show grease spots.

Thanks!
Sandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%