Help, My Topper Is So Heavy It Might Be A Disaster Today

Decorating By CindyW Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 4:20pm by CindyW

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 5

My first wedding cake, the topper is heavy, the one from Walmart, the top tier is very small and I can picture it falling over and sliding down the cake!
Any Advice or tips?

4 replies
Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

You need to support it just like you would for your tiers. I personally use straws because they are easy to cut and hold up well. But whatever you use, cut them to the length you need, then put a cardboard circle (cut to fit the topper so the cardboard doesn't show) on top. Then just set the topper on the cardboard circle.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

You need to support it just like you would for your tiers. I personally use straws because they are easy to cut and hold up well. But whatever you use, cut them to the length you need, then put a cardboard circle (cut to fit the topper so the cardboard doesn't show) on top. Then just set the topper on the cardboard circle.

That was exactly what I was about to recomment, great minds think alike!

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 5

I had the same problem with one of the toppers in my Double Wedding photo. The topper was really tall and made of ceramic with a wooden base! The ceramic figures weren't connected in any way to the base. so I had to run out and get some sticky tack to keep it from falling off! I used several wooden dowels under the wooden base to keep it from sinking into the cake. I wasn't at the wedding, but a good friend was. and to play a joke she called me halfway into the reception to tell me the cake had been knocked over by a kid running into the table! Needless to say I didn't think it was very funny! icon_twisted.gif

It will be fine as long as you support it well enough. Good Luck! icon_wink.gif

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks ya'll! That will be much better.
Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%