Fondant Other Than Wilton

Decorating By swtperfection Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 11:50am by TToomer

swtperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtperfection Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:42am
post #1 of 20

Ok you cake experts. I love love working with fondant and I actually teach the Wilton classes at Michaels. I do not have time to make MMF and still want to buy it. I am wanting to buy it in bulk. Does anyone have any recomendations for good bought fondant other than Wilton. Thanks a bunch

19 replies
sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:02am
post #2 of 20

Ateco sells fondant. You can buy it in bulk. I do not know how thier fondant test. but they have
5-lb for 30.00
20-lb for 100.00 Plus, they sell it in smaller batches.
A lot of cc people use Satin ice. Log on to satinfinefoods.com To see what they have to offer.
Hope this will help.

purpleheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purpleheart Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:18am
post #3 of 20

Check out caljavaonline.com the have white chocolate fondant. I have not personally tried it. I had a friend tell me about it.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:23am
post #4 of 20

Satin Ice is good. tastes better than Wilton very workable. I've heard that fondx at calajava is very good.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:23am
post #5 of 20

satin ice is, by far, the best i've used.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:25am
post #6 of 20

Just wanted to put in a plug for mmf -- Satin Ice is great but expensive. Don't know if you've done this or not yet, so please forgive me if I'm assuming too much, but if you make a batch of MMF with a KA, it will only take 10 minutes -- literally!

Sarah

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:23am
post #7 of 20

I've tried a few different kinds of fondant and still prefer satin ice. It's a better deal to buy the 20 lb bucket for about $50. Sometimes I buy a small bucket of red or brown. Boy is that a timesaver!! I get so sick of trying to get a good red or black from white fondant. I know, I know....I need an airbrush!

Courtney

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 20

I would also like to try the Satin Ice...Everyone is always raving about it on here!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 20

i guess im outnumbered i do not like satin ice.. it tastes great,but i find it hard to work it..

ive used choco-pan and others..wilton of course is icky to me.

maddyscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddyscreations Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 20

Where do you get satin ice 20lbs for $50? I can't find it for less than $80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

I've tried a few different kinds of fondant and still prefer satin ice. It's a better deal to buy the 20 lb bucket for about $50. Sometimes I buy a small bucket of red or brown. Boy is that a timesaver!! I get so sick of trying to get a good red or black from white fondant. I know, I know....I need an airbrush!

Courtney

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 20

Maybe it's $50 before shipping?

Sarah

mamacc Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 20

I buy 20 lb buckets from my local bakery supply place here in Rhode Island. But I have also heard that you can buy it directly from satin ice, and that if you buy two 20 lb buckets, it's $100 and free shipping. I'm not sure if that is still true, but worth checking out! I think you would have to contact them and ask though, there's no shopping area on their site. http://www.satinfinefoods.com/index.shtml

They also have it at this site for $49, not including shipping. http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=876&trng=fgle

I hate paying shipping!!! I love being able to go to a bakery supply warehouse! The one I go to has a showroom store too, so of course I usually find plenty of extra things to buy I didn't know I neededicon_wink.gif

Courtney

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #13 of 20

Courtney - I'm in SE Mass, where is the bakery supply store you go to? I'd love to have the name and address if you don't mind!

~Chelle

maddyscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddyscreations Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 20

I'm going to contact satinice on Monday for a price I'll post the response. Thanks

mamacc Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

Courtney - I'm in SE Mass, where is the bakery supply store you go to? I'd love to have the name and address if you don't mind!

~Chelle

Hi Chelle! It's called JAR Bakery Supply. The address is 12 Crowe Point Rd, Linoln RI and the phone is 401-725-9660. You have to look for the number 12 b/c it's in an industrial park type area and not labeled very well.

Courtney

TToomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TToomer Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:14am
post #16 of 20

I have just tryed Satin Ice for the first time and love it!! It's way more forgiving than MMF. I bought it online and it generally arrives in 4-5 days. try www.countrykitchensa.com or www.cakesbysam.com

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:05am
post #17 of 20

I just bought some Satin Ice today, a little 2 lb bucket just to try it. It is sooo yummy! I tried it on No Fail Sugar Cookies and it was so good. I think I'm going to start using it all the time.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:19am
post #18 of 20

Satin Ice - hands down. I worked with Wilton and use it for NON edible pieces and lining my boards. I have worked with MMF but found it too sweet and difficult to control consistency. I have worked a bunch with Pettinice but have come across some batches that were ivory instead of white. I have also worked with Chocopan but it needs a lot of kneeding.

Plus I can get colors including red and black in Satin Ice from my local supplier.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #19 of 20

sonoma9
Is there a recipe or link on CC on how to make MMF with your KA.
Thanks
Kim

TToomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TToomer Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:50am
post #20 of 20

If you go under the articles section, there is an article entitled How_To_Make_and_Decorate_with_MarshMallow_Fondant_(MMF). It gives the recipe for MMF. But I agree I can be difficult to control the consistency. I only used the Satin Ice once, but I don't think I will go back to MMF. I personally hate kneading the colors into fondant. I think I will just take the lazy road and by store bought from now onicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%