Wedding Show! Anyone Do Exhibits At Wedding Shows?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm by melysa

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 9

I was just wondering if most people get themselves into wedding shows. Do an exhibit with all the wedding vendors and such. What do you do to get prepared for one? Do you do cake samples? or cake dummies?

8 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 9

Hi. I just started participating in them. It is so much fun but tons of work. I was only permitted a 6ft table so I added 2 small tables on each side.
I included: My portfolio, Samples, and about 4 larger dummy cakes with a few small ones to target for the bridal showers. Bring lots of business cards and brochures if you have them. I have a pic of my set up in my pics.

Good luck and be sure to have fun. It is also a great place to do some networking too!

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #3 of 9

yes, i deff. do wedding shows!
they are what really got my business started.
this last show i had 4 dummy cakes, and i have the stand up picture frames ( the kind like a room divider ) and have photos of my work in them. i also like to give away freebies. i dont sample cake at the shows because other decorators do. if they ask i tell them they are welcome to come to my home and sample cakes. im licensed out of my home. also, the first show i did there were 3 decorators and we all had samples. and i was the last one they would see, and the girls wouldnt try any cake. they said no, that they just had 2 pieces.( as you know, some people do watch thier weight! icon_lol.gif haha!!) the freebies i give away usually pertain to cakes, one year it was cake magnets with my business logo. another year wedding cake candles. you could sample something different , like cake balls or sugar cutout cookies in the shape of a wedding cake.

but the main thing is PRESENTATION!!! make your booth as nice a possible, it reflects on you and your business.

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:34am
post #4 of 9

How much of cake samples do you prepare? It sounds like you would have to make a lot of cake. What would be the best way to prepare these samples?

I'm thinking of doing a cake show here in the next couple of months and want to be prepared with all the time involved.

Thanks for your help!

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:44am
post #5 of 9

I guess there is no way to get involved in this shows if youre a homebaker and "not legal"??

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:31am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmc

How much of cake samples do you prepare? It sounds like you would have to make a lot of cake. What would be the best way to prepare these samples?

I'm thinking of doing a cake show here in the next couple of months and want to be prepared with all the time involved.

Thanks for your help!

i do not do shows, because i dont have a business, but from what i have seen, i think its smart to put the samples in containers that the people can put in their bags and eat later...sometimes people dont wnat to juggle a piece of cake in their hands while holding tons of stuff from all the booths. you could cut sheet cakes into peices of about 2-3 bites and put them in the small clear plastic cups w/ lids (used for small things like salad dressing in restaraunts) . that way too, you'll get more peices out of your cake than if you do larger servings. remember its a SAMPLE!

dessertprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertprincess Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 9

my work participates in one big annual wedding show. we team up with the other same named stores in town. each store brings an average of 4-5 cakes for display. and for sampling, we each bring about 4-5 half sheet cakes. we hand out brochures to the brides stating what we have to offer for their day, such as cake, catering, and flowers. on the back of it, there is a coupon to save a percentage off if they book within a few months of the show. this show and word of mouth are the biggest advertisements we do to promote business. the show is in jan. so come dec., we still get bride's that went to the previous years show stating that is how thye knew to come to us! so for the compnay i work for, it turns out to be a great idea.

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 11:12am
post #8 of 9

cake samples look nice in a white box, small one and attach a lable on them with you name etc.
ive seen another decorator who does this and its a nice presentation.
otherwise mini cupcakes, but they would have to eat it then.
call the vendor putting the show on as to how much traffic they usually get to get an idea of how much to make. some vendors set limits as to how much they give out.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtcakes

cake samples look nice in a white box, small one and attach a lable on them with you name etc.
ive seen another decorator who does this and its a nice presentation.
otherwise mini cupcakes, but they would have to eat it then.
call the vendor putting the show on as to how much traffic they usually get to get an idea of how much to make. some vendors set limits as to how much they give out.

i've seen the white box with label too. that is very pretty. maybe a mini cupcake with a swirl of icing on top inside a box?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%