Well, This Isn't A Good Start

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 16 Mar 2007 , 6:28pm by mrsright41401

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 11

We went to visit the town we're moving to on the 26th. We met some people from the branch of our Church there and had dinner with them. They asked me about my cakes and started talking to me about people who were having events (baby showers, bridal showers, weddings) in the branch.

Than they asked if I was licensed. I am going to work on getting licensed the minute I get there, but as of right now - no, I'm not licensed. This brand new acquaintance - who is my age and is pregnant - than asks if I'm going to have much cheaper prices because I'm not licensed.

icon_confused.gif

Okay - it's not so much the question - that I can understand from someone who doesn't understand cakes. But it was the question coming from a person who I had just met, who doesn't know me, and has no clue of my past qualifications. I was incredibly offended and actually quite firmly told her "no, that my prices were already quite reasonable and that I still have to pay for supplies and utilities and make a profit on the cakes." I told her the extreme amount of time and effort it takes to make cakes and that discounting my cakes any further would cause me to lose money on my cakes. I also told her that if I discount my cakes I would be unable to earn the money to open a licensed shop.

Man did that discourage me.

Rachel

10 replies
angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 11

Some people just don't know...AND they are looking for deals, too. icon_smile.gif

Don't get discouraged. She's just one person, and she doesn't know any better. Let your work speak for itself.

Good luck!
Angie

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 11

A lot of people dont even realize the words that come out of their mouths. Do not in any way let it affect you further. You are a wonderful decorater, have beautiful cakes and are worth every penny. I think you handled the comment with grace, dont lose your cool and be strong but not mean.

Just a thought
~Alicia

mrsright41401 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 11

Here's the awesome news about the town we're moving to. There isn't a single bakery in town. The last one closed, though I don't know the reasons why.

I see immense possibilities, I just have to try and find a way to get the $ together to get licensed.

Rachel

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 11

Wow...I can't believe that! I think the others are right, people just don't realize what they are saying sometimes! It amazes me the nerve that people have sometimes though.

People in my area don't have any idea about licensing and that kind of thing, and I had no idea until I started getting on here. Regardless, I don't think that should really reflect pricing anyway. I mean I guess if I were licensed AND getting tons of orders I would raise my prices some because then it would be my fulltime job and it would be harder to do a ton of cakes a week as opposed to oneicon_smile.gif

But really you do amazing work and whether your licensed or not, you need to get paid for what you do! Try not to let this one clueless person bother you and discourage you in ANY way! She doesn't deserve your time and worries! Keep us posted!

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 11

Rachel

I wish you only the best. Do not let this one individual put any doubt or concern in your mind. Do what you have to do for YOU and yours!! And with you being the only bakery in town...I already see the $$$ rolling in! Your work is beautiful and it is worth it.

Best wishes
Carmen

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 11

Yeah, and when she asks to order a cake from you,
you can say I'm sorry but you can't afford one of my cakes. But that is the B---- in me. You are probably a much nicer person than me.

I did a cake for someone at work.. The girl loved it. Another woman (that we don't particularly like each other) made a snide comment about it.

A few weeks later she wanted to order a cake from me and I told her that I couldn't possibly do a cake for her, that my cakes are not up to her standards.
She has tried several times since then to get a cake and I give the same answer. All the other woman are raving about my cakes!!!!
It is driving this woman nuts that she can't get a cake from me now.

Soooooo, to my point. Don't let her get to you. She apparently is the type that speaks before she thinks. She'll be wanting a cake one day and then you can decide to do with her what you want.

You'll do great with your new business. I wish you all the luck with it and your move!!!!

Lu

mrsright41401 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 11

hehehehe - Lu, that's hilarious.

Thank you everyone. I would never let a sour grape get in the way of my success, but I knew that you all would understand my feelings over an acquaintance trying to cut my prices.

Now to go pack my cake stuff up for a few weeks. I have been putting it off but there just simply can't be anymore cakes until after the move.

Rachel

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 11

lu9129 - what was the snide comment she made? I'm so curious to know what would make you refuse to do a cake for her!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 11

I'm sorry, it doesn't sound to me like a weird question coming from someone who knows nothing about baking.
Of course, once she thinks about it, she'll probably be telling herself she was an idiot and want to bang her head against the wall...

mrsright41401 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 11

It wasn't the question, it was that someone who I barely know would ask me such a presumptive question. She wasn't ordering a cake so she wasn't even a customer - she was just someone who wanted to see if I'd cut my prices.

My husband puts it this way - it's become more & more acceptable for people to manipulate businesses who perform a service into cutting themselves off at the knees.

Rachel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%