Stable Fillings For Sculpted Cakes

Decorating By rjtaconner Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 2:22am by sweetlybaked

rjtaconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjtaconner Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:37am
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have suggestions for fillings that are stable enough for sculpted cakes?

We've been doing mostly sculpted cakes and I'd like to be able to offer more choices for fillings.

14 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:48am
post #2 of 15

What about any mousse as a filling? That seems to be a thick and steady filling to use! Good Luck!

Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 15

I like using ganache.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 15

I use Rich's Bettercreme in Vanilla and doctor it to any flavor I want. It takes some time to get used to using it, but it does provide a stable mousse filling which is tasty (if doctored correctly) and it can sit out at room temperature up to seven days if necessary (which makes it great for those wedding cakes which are on display for 12 hours or longer and you don't want to use a heavy cream mousse.)

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 15

I would stay away from whip creams, jams, and jellies. I've mostly just used buttercream on anything "3D". You could flavor the buttercream differently though - like if you had a vanilla buttercream as the "outside" frosting, you could use lemon buttercream inside - or any combination of flavors you like.

Shim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shim Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 15

Can someone share this recipe please

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:11am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim

Can someone share this recipe please

Which recipe would you like?

Shim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shim Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 15

I have been so busy I just got around to checking my posts. I need the recipe for Rich's Better Creme.
Thanks a million

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim

I have been so busy I just got around to checking my posts. I need the recipe for Rich's Better Creme.
Thanks a million

Rich's Bettercreme isn't a recipe, it's a nondairy whipped topping that can be doctored to make stable fillings. For example, I made a "fake" lemon mousse by pouring 2/3 of the quart of Rich's Bettercreme in a mixer bowl, adding 1 small box of lemon pudding mix, some Vanilla and Lemon Oil. Mix for a while (don't overwhip or it goes crumbly.) If that happens, add the remaining liquid Rich's and it will bring it back to a creamier consistency. It's great for cakes like wedding cakes which will be on display for hours and hours where using a heavy cream mousse would pose a health problem.

By the way, Welcome to CC!! If you have any other questions, we're all here to help! icon_lol.gif

peggylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggylicious Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 15

Do you have a recipe for doctoring raspberry or strawberry rich's bettercream mousse?

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggylicious

Do you have a recipe for doctoring raspberry or strawberry rich's bettercream mousse?

Sure, for the raspberry I did it the same way as the lemon. 1 qt Rich's Vanilla Betterceme, 1 small box Vanilla pudding, 2 tsps Vanilla flavoring, 2 tsps Raspberry Oil (the kind used for candy flavorings), and 5 drops Burgundy food coloring. Make it the same way as you would for the lemon. Personally I like the lemon better because since it's a candy flavoring for the raspberry it tasted a bit like candy to me, but still raspberry enough to pass for raspberry mousse. I personally don't care for extracts (some are worse than others), I like the flavor that oils give better. They're sharper flavors. Hope that helps some!! icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. - As far as I know Rich's Bettercreme only comes in Vanilla and Chocolate. Those are the only ones I can find so they are the ones I use.

P.S.S. - Welcome to CC!! icon_lol.gif

peggylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggylicious Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks bobwonderbuns for the recipe. Have you ever tried adding raspberry or strawberry puree to the mousse? I'm thinking it might produce a taste that you would like. I use all sorts of real fruit purees in flavoring my Swiss meringue and the results are outstanding. I make my purees by pureeing whole fresh fruits in my mixer attachment and boiling it until it thickens.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #13 of 15

Where do you purchase the BEttercream from?
Thanks,
Korkyo

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:06am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggylicious

Thanks bobwonderbuns for the recipe. Have you ever tried adding raspberry or strawberry puree to the mousse? I'm thinking it might produce a taste that you would like. I use all sorts of real fruit purees in flavoring my Swiss meringue and the results are outstanding. I make my purees by pureeing whole fresh fruits in my mixer attachment and boiling it until it thickens.

Hi Peggylicious (Gee what a fun name to write!icon_biggrin.gif) When I was trying to develop my raspberry mousse I put an entire jar (10 oz) of seedless raspberry All Fruit or some such thing in it but it gave very little flavor and very little color so I just adapted what I had successfully done with the lemon mousse. I had read someplace to use the seedless jams and such but I didn't see any difference at all other than additional (and needless) expense. But that's just my experience. Maybe others have gotten it to successfully blend in with their recipes. Hope that helps some! icon_lol.gif

Korkyo, Rich's Bettercreme can be found online at Sugarcraft.com, at Gordon's Food Supplies in the frozen section and at better cake decorating stores.

And to both of you, Welcome to CC!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #15 of 15

Can you find Bettercream at Sam's Club, anyone know? I know you can get the chocolate kind at Smart and Final, but my renewing for Costco is coming up, and I wanted to know the pro's to maybe switching to a Sam's membership.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%