Not Really A Cake Disaster, But...

Decorating By steph95 Updated 23 Feb 2006 , 9:00pm by DIAELI

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 5:36am
post #1 of 18

Ok, I've known for a week that I had to do a cake for Saturday. no problem. The mother calls today and asks if I can do 2 cakes, one for each son. No problem. Just starting and trying to get my name out, I need the practice. She tells me that if these cakes turn out well, she can almost guarantee that I get business from the rest of her family. (no pressure there, huh?!?!) I bake the cakes. I fix dinner. While plating dinner to put on the table, I grab the handle of a fry pan that I just took out of the oven. Might I add that I didn't use a potholder!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I ALWAYS put an oven mit on a handle after I take the pan out of the oven so that doesn't happen, so why do you suppose I forget today?? The bright side is, it was my left hand and I'm right handed. And, the constant pain eventually went away. Trying to mix several different colors with blisters on my hand was quite a treat. icon_rolleyes.gif The cakes are almost finished, except the borders. May be next time I have a cake or 2 to do, I should order pizza!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 5:40am
post #2 of 18

OWWW!!! So sorry for you mishap. I can honestly say, been there, done that. Hope your hand is better soon. And I think the pizza idea is great!!! Hang in there.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 5:45am
post #3 of 18

O man, been there done that bought the darn t-shirt!!!! ouch !!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 5:53am
post #4 of 18

Ya poor thing! Sometimes having our brain overloaded makes us do some dense things..I can say I have done worse...got any aloe vera? If not I can e-mail ya some?! icon_lol.gif

P.S. cheer up...at least you still made it thru it!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 18

Yikes!! OUCH!!! I agree--next time you need to order out!

glad the cakes turned out ok, though.

Lisa

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 18

Ooohhh! That sounds like it hurt. I'm cringing just thinking about it. Of course, it's probably makes me wince a little because, like others have mentioned, I too have done that. I hope it heals quickly for you. Good luck with your cakes, and hopefully some new business is generated from them.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 18

I'm sorry for your pain, but I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one that does these things. I do this kind of stuff, all the time.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 18

is south america we used to use milk of magenesia on our skin after a sun burn ... yes in the ignorant days when we didn't know how harmful that was.... anyway the other day I burned my finger I ran to the medicine cabinet looking for something to put on my hand ...well it occured to me to stick my finger in the bottle of Milk of magnesia.. it miraculosly took the edge of the pain.... go figure

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasmami

is south america we used to use milk of magenesia on our skin after a sun burn ... yes in the ignorant days when we didn't know how harmful that was.... anyway the other day I burned my finger I ran to the medicine cabinet looking for something to put on my hand ...well it occured to me to stick my finger in the bottle of Milk of magnesia.. it miraculosly took the edge of the pain.... go figure

Why is it harmful? Just curious.

Lisa

steph95 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 18

I was curious too. If I'm ingesting it, I hope I would be able to put it on my skin!! Wouldn't it feel like Noxzema?

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 18

I think she meant getting a sunburn was harmful not the milk of magnesia. icon_confused.gif

At least I hope that's what she meant. icon_redface.gif

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 18

We used to use MOM for topical treatment of pressure ulcers in the hospital. Some places still do (although there are much better products on the market for that now).

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 6:52pm
post #13 of 18

I should have been more clear sun bathing is harmful ...not MOM ... when I was a kid we would sun bathe till we were burnt to a crisp..... the MOM is what we used to relieve the pain of the sunburn

steph95 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for the MOM hint. I'll have to use that sometime. I'm sorry I misunderstood you. People interpret things differently, so what can I say, I'M JUST DIFFERENT!! icon_lol.gif

my hand is much better. My pinky, lower index, and palm are blistered, the pinky the worst. the pads of my other fingers are sensitive, but no blisters. thanks for all of your well wishes. I'm ready to decorate again!!!! Does anyone need a cake?!?!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 1:27am
post #15 of 18

Now you know for sure you are addicted not even the blisters on your hand will stop you.... thumbs_up.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 1:43am
post #16 of 18

That sounds really painful!!! We have had some bad luck around here with our hands too.

First my daughter sprained her finger in gymnastics and then I cut my thumb with a knife!(also on my left hand)

Anyway...while looking for tape for my daughter...I did come across these kind of finger covers at Walgreen's. They are really more for burns and cuts. They just slide over your fingers so you do not aggitate your injury.

In case your pinky starts bothering you...you might pick some of those up. icon_smile.gif

Hope you get lots of orders! icon_biggrin.gif

steph95 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 2:10am
post #17 of 18

The klutz that I am, I should keep those finger shields around!! Burn update: All healed!! I guess when you wash your hands as much as we do, your skin has to re-generate quickly!! icon_wink.gif

DIAELI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DIAELI Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 18

what a bummer burning like that, poor you!
Next time order take out or do what I do, sandwich night for everyone LOL
Yes here in Latin America the use of milk of magenesia is used dabbing it on burns -it does wonders! Great for sunburns, wind chap and ugly burns like the one you had... or a handy tip in case you don't have milk of magenesia handy is getting and rubbing a slice of tomatoe over the burn, it helps prevent blisters and relieves the paian too!

Take care of your hand!

Diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%