Need Tried & True Passover Rollout Cookie Recipe

Baking By magicalmakery Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 1:07am by kathik

magicalmakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magicalmakery Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:48am
post #1 of 14

hello,
a friend has requested that i make some passover cookies for her children. she wants my decorated sugar cookies, just made with "mitzvah"??? does anyone know a recipe i could use. she said all else is fair game b/c she does not keep a kosher kitchen.

thank you!!!!!

jenny

13 replies
calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:57am
post #2 of 14

Try the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe on this site. I tried it for the first time 2 days ago and it is great. I will never use another sugar cookie recipe.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 14

I second the NFSC recipe, worked great for me when I made 5 dozen hand/feet cookies last weekend!
If you don't know what a Mitzvah is, my best translation would be a good deed done for someone with love and care. If anyone else can give a better translation, please go ahead!
If you need ideas for Passover cookies, please PM me and I can help.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 14

For passover you cannot use regular flour.So it has to be a flourless cookie or use Mato which is sold around passover in the grocery store. It is an unlevened bread. It is also ground into a matzo meal. Also potato startch is used at this time as well. I am sorry I do not have a recipe and I think this one is going to be a hard one to find. You might check at the book store or library for a Jewish cookbook. They might even have one on holiday cooking. . I usually make choc. covered strawberries and dipped fruit for this holiday to avoid having to use anything with flour. Hope that helps a little!Curious to see if someone does have a recipe for a rolled cookie. There are many recipes out there for brownies and cakes following the restrictions of the holiday.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 14

I've never seen a recipe for cut-out cookies for passover. I'll keep my eyes out for it, though!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 14

It sounds like she asked for your regular cookies made with love (might want to double check that). If so, make them in shapes and with decorations appropriate to the season/holiday. If she wants a flour-less cookie, you'll DEFINATELY need to know so you can get a recipe.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 14

Jenny,

I too would check with your friend and check if she wants your regular cookies. I have been experimenting with how to make regular recipes Passover friendly and it takes some real work! It took me a week to get a yummy, soft chocolate chip cookies with a real cookie texture. I have never seen a recipe for cut out cookies for Passover either, but now I think, I may have to try and play with the NFSC recipe!

Just a suggestion, if you try to experiment with it, I would cut the recipe by a quarter (just beat 1 egg and use half of it). Matzo cake meal and potato starch are pricey, so this will save you money if it turns out that they are awful.

Kathi

kathik Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 14

Okay, I shouldn't have, because Shabbos starts soon, but I tried making the NFSC recipe Passover friendly. icon_redface.gif

I made a 1/4 recipe and I substituted 1 cup matzah cake meal and 1/2 cup potato starch for the flour, I used double the baking powder needed (1 1/2 tsp) and half an egg. They turned out a little crumbly, so I would increase that to 1 egg next time. You can't use regular vanilla for Passover either, but if she doesn't keep kosher she may not care. Anyway, other than being a little crumbly they were really good! icon_biggrin.gif Here's a photo of the first batch. The rest of the dough has to wait until after Shabbos. Now that I know it works I can be good. icon_wink.gif

So have fun!
Kathi
LL

bonniebakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Okay, I shouldn't have, because Shabbos starts soon, but I tried making the NFSC recipe Passover friendly. icon_redface.gif

I made a 1/4 recipe and I substituted 1 cup matzah cake meal and 1/2 cup potato starch for the flour, I used double the baking powder needed (1 1/2 tsp) and half an egg. They turned out a little crumbly, so I would increase that to 1 egg next time. You can't use regular vanilla for Passover either, but if she doesn't keep kosher she may not care. Anyway, other than being a little crumbly they were really good! icon_biggrin.gif Here's a photo of the first batch. The rest of the dough has to wait until after Shabbos. Now that I know it works I can be good. icon_wink.gif

So have fun!
Kathi

WOW - I can't wait to try that this year!
But, depending on how "kosher" someone is, the baking powder might be a no-no....

magicalmakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magicalmakery Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:30am
post #10 of 14

thanks everyone... this makes me wonder....... my son has autism and has been on a gluten free diet for his digestive issues. i can make a rollour cookie with rice flour, sweet rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xantham gum, sugar, chocolate chips and vanilla. do all these ingreds. sound ok? if not, i'll try the nfsc recipe with matzoh. thats the recipe i always use anyway...

thank you!!!!! jenny

icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 14

Jenny,

Again, I think it all depends on how "strict" the person is about keeping kosher for passover. I know some poeple who don't eat rice, so the rice flours wouldn't be "allowed" for them. Also, some poeple don't use vanilla, because it is classified as being fermented, which is the problem with yeast-based foods, such as bread.

I'm sure a lesson on Passover foods isnt'what you really wanted icon_redface.gif but it's pretty complicated if you really follow it. From what I understand It's not so much the flour itself (matzoh is made from flour, aferall) it's more the "processing" of the ingredients.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 14

How is baking powder KfP? It's leavening, no?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 14

Found this site, Passover recipes...
http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/passover/kosher-recipes/index.html
Includes this recipe:
Cookies

Sift together one-half cup of matzah meal and one-fourth cup of potato flour.

Add one-half cup of sugar, one-fourth cup of chopped almonds and two eggs.

Rollout in potato flour mixed with sugar.

Cut and bake on greased tins in a hot oven.
-
Hope it helps, some.

kathik Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #14 of 14

MaisieBake,

That is a good question, which the Rabbis spent a lot of time deciding. There is kosher for Passover baking soda and powder and they are acceptable because they are chemical leaveners as opposed to natural/organic leaveners. Some people still won't use them because they think it goes against the "spirit" of the holiday, however these are usually the same people who won't use matzah meal or matzah cake meal during Passover.

The average person who keeps kosher for Passover uses matzah meal and is open to a product that uses kosher for Passover Baking powder and baking soda.

Bonniebakes is right. Matzah is made from flour, it is the processing that is different. Matzah that is kosher for Passover has to be mixed, rolled and baked within 18 minutes. It is precisely timed and then every piece of equipment is scoured, including rolling pins sanded, before another batch is made.

Anyway Jenny, if you decide to make the NFSC kosher for Passover and would like some baking powder and can't find it where you are, pm me and I'll send you a can. I know how hard it can be to find something. I just came back from Miami where I spent over $200 in Pesach baking supplies. icon_eek.gif I have Plenty of baking powder!!

Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%