Needing To Vent

Decorating By hamlove Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 5:26am by hamlove

hamlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamlove Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 52

I have a love for working with fondant. My family hates it. They all tell me just use icing. You have to peel it off or it taste nasty. Does anyone else ever run into this problem. How do you deal with it. I love working with fondant. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks all

51 replies
calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 52

Are you working with MMF? My kids love it. The other suggestion would be to put a generous layer of their frosting under the fondant.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 52

Try MMF it doesn't taste bad. I never used fondant for the same reason, my family hated the taste until I tried MMF.

hamlove Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 52

when putting on fondant does the icing have to be completly dry or can it be some wet. How much icing can you have under fondant.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 52

So many people I know don't like fondant and it doesn't bother me at all that they peel it off.

Last night my SIL scraped off the frosting on my cupcake he was eating. He felt bad because he doesn't like frosting. I've tol him many time don't worry about it if you don't like frosting you don't like frosting. It doesn't hurt my feelings

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 52

I also recently discovered MMF (Thank you, CC!!!) and it tastes great. It is very sweet, but you can alter the flavour a bit with different extracts, and I've also used lemon juice in place of some of the water to cut the sweetness slightly. My kids LOVE it!
I had always shied away from fondant covered cakes, as well, since the Wilton fondant is beyond gross, and other fondants that I had tasted on cakes were the texture and taste of cardboard. I love working with MMF, and it costs pennies to make in comparison to buying fondant. It's opened up a whole new world of decorating for me!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlove

when putting on fondant does the icing have to be completly dry or can it be some wet. How much icing can you have under fondant.

I've put fondant over crusted and "wet" icing. I put quite a generous layer of buttercream underneath--enough that the fondant haters will have plenty of icing with their cake.

hamlove Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:01am
post #8 of 52

I use the european fondant but I did try the mmf and I had it turn out to silky. It was hard to work with. what could I do to help get mmf to work. When done right what kind of texture should mmf have. Some sticky or really elastic feel. Thanks

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:03am
post #9 of 52

I have a neighbor who does buttercream cakes only. I told her I was doing a cake with fondant and she immediately blurts out "don't use that stuff, it tastes horrible!" (I'm planning on using the marshmallow fondant.) So I ask her "have you ever tasted fondant?" Guess what -- she says "NO." So I tell her not to judge it before she's tried it, not all fondant's are created equal!icon_rolleyes.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:06am
post #10 of 52

Hi,

Well here in NZ we have a yummy fondant that we buy in our supermarkets or cake supply shops(more expensive in the cake suppliers) or buy direct form Baykels themselves... it is called:

Baykels Ready to Roll Pettinice... so of course we cover our cakes with it all the time... we of course do use other things too like buttercream ganache etc.

We have fondant in chocolate flavour too it is quite rich but still nice. we get ivory fondant also and of course almond icing. All these are yummy and infact recently the makers have altered their recipe i am sure as it is so nice and creamy like vanilla icecream hmmmm yummmo.....

Sorry you guys have such horrible thoughts on the fondant shame you cant try ours.

But i am gonna give the MMF a go though it sounds yummy too and especially for the kids .

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:07am
post #11 of 52

Hello Everyone!!!

What is MMF?

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:10am
post #12 of 52

OOOOhhh i can answer this one thanks to myself asking the same thing hehehe... and they lovely people on here told me to it is

Marshmallow fondant they make themselves there is a recipe on here somewhere but i cant remember where to find it someone else may be able to give you that info sorry...

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:14am
post #13 of 52

Have you tried using white chocolate with your fondant? I recently acquired a recipe. I havent tried it yet, but others say its really delicious. Let me know if you would like it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:15am
post #14 of 52

MMF = MarshMallow Fondant. It's found in the recipes section. Basically it's fondant made from marshmallows! icon_lol.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:21am
post #15 of 52

to dogluvr.............white chocolate fondant??? Oh, yes, I'd be very interested in receiving that recipe!! Can you post it here or pm it to me??? Many thanks!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:31am
post #16 of 52

I put the same amount of frosting under fondant as I would if there were no fondant. I consider the fondant pure decoration. I haven't tried covering a cake in MMF yet though. That's on my to-do listicon_wink.gif

Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:59am
post #17 of 52

Ariginal,

Shame on you, you are such a tease icon_razz.gif

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:06am
post #18 of 52

I don't like the taste of fondant but I love using it for decorations and flowers. I frost w/buttercream and only use fondant to decorate. 1/2 the family likes it and the other hates it. It bothers me to see people peel it off and throw it away. only because it is such a waste!!

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #19 of 52

Sure thing...I will pm it to you

Renelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renelle Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:13am
post #20 of 52

Hi ya'll..I'm going to try mmf tomorrow for the first time. Can't wait! My supply store is about 30 miles away and I really don't care for fondant either anyway, so, mmf it is!!

I would also love the white chocolate fondant recipe..can you pm me? THANKS

Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:17am
post #21 of 52

Amazon has Baykels fondant $38.80 for 5 1/2 lbs

renkly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renkly Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:18am
post #22 of 52

Could you please send the recipe of the white chocolate fondant to me also??
I just did a Bridal Show this past week end and did 6 large cakes in MMF and 2 little ones in buttercream. Everyone went nuts over the fondant cakes BUT said fondant is awful and they don't like it. A cake vendor at the show was telling everyone that you don't eat fondant but peel it off and throw it away (are they nuts????)I kept saying my is home made and yummy.
I did a taste test with a bride and groom today and they wanted to taste my fondant. They said they didn't like it BUT they also said my choco fudge cake (super moist and yummy from scartch) tasted like a Suzy Q. I think a lot of people just don't want to pay the extra dollar a serving for fondant. What a shame as I am sick to death of buttercream cakes and JUST love the MMF and all you can create. I am also from West Michigan, which is like 50 years behind the times. BOOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #23 of 52

dolfin, are you referring to the MMF, Wilton's, another brand, or fondant in general?

Once I started making MMF, I never looked back. I just bought some Wilton's to use on the boards for my W. Fondant and Gumpaste class and I can't stand the fact that I gave them business for that junk. When do you think they'll learn that it tastes disgusting?

I've also been told by many that Satin Ice is really good and so is Pettinice, but I haven't tried these (yet).

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:21am
post #24 of 52

I agree with Arignal. I use Bakels Pettinice here in California. I used to get it shipped from Pfeil and Holing in New York (http://www.cakedeco.com), but now I've found it wholesale right here. -- both white and chocolate. Pfeil and Holing sells wholesale so it is often less than what it costs retail locally, even with shipping, but you have to order at least $50.00 worth of stuff for them to sell to you. Not everyone likes it, but I've had very few who didn't.

Pfeil and Holing carries so much stuff that it isn't hard to make a fifty dollar order. They have good marzipan very reasonably priced too.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:29am
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr

Have you tried using white chocolate with your fondant? I recently acquired a recipe. I havent tried it yet, but others say its really delicious. Let me know if you would like it.

I would love that recipe.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:37am
post #26 of 52

I would like the wc fonadant recipe as well....Thank you!!!1

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #27 of 52

I would like to have it too dogluvr if you don't mind....White Chocolate fondant....sound really yummy icon_biggrin.gif

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:30am
post #28 of 52

I too would love the recipe, I have tried the MMF and love the flavor and the fact that it is easier to add other flavors to it. White Chocolate MMF ...oooh Fabulous.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #29 of 52

I agree with the previous posters that said you can use quite a bit of buttercream under fondant just fine! That way if people don't like fondant (and good or not some just don't like it) there's another option.

I also find that fondant seals my cakes and keeps them nice and moist on the inside. Plus, the slices are so pretty when you cut them, they stay nice and together. If people want to peel it off, so be it!

MMF and Wilton fondant are TOTALLY different to work with, just fair warning. I really like MMF I just would recommend doing a test run before you use it for a cake that you need for an occasion (or for an order for that matter).

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:50am
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

to dogluvr.............white chocolate fondant??? Oh, yes, I'd be very interested in receiving that recipe!! Can you post it here or pm it to me??? Many thanks!

Yes, PM me too with the recipe!!! Many thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%