Did Anybody See Collette Peters's Giant Cupcake-Shaped Cake?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 21 Feb 2006 , 9:15pm by SHADDI

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 18

It was featured on an episode of Sugar Rush that re-ran last weekend. I am attempting to do this cake for a birthday party next Saturday. If there is anyone that has seen it, can you give me some ideas (guesses) about how she did this? I really have no idea how she did the cherry on top.

I need help! This party will have 45 kids and all their parents. So this could mean lots of future orders for me! icon_confused.gif

17 replies
Misdawn Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 18

Anybody?

Niki7227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki7227 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 18

try food.com or cakelove.com

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 18

Is this the one you are talking about? I found it on her website.
LL

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 18

WOW....how in the world did she do that???

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 18

I'm sure the cherry was gumpaste that she painted with food color. That's what it looked like to me on the show.

katleg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katleg Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 12:40am
post #7 of 18

i know what you are talking about! i loved that cake... maybe this will bump you? what kind of fondant rolls out that good ?? hers looked like playdough?? mine is alot tougher than that..

izzybee Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:27am
post #8 of 18

Colette uses Carma brand fondant and Satin Ice gumpaste. One thing I noticed is she hand rolls her fondant, compared to other places that use a sheeter. So much more work. Not sure what the difference is in end product.

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:49am
post #9 of 18

That's amazing! She's the Queen of cakes! LOL
If anyone finds out how she did it, let me know too, please!

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:56am
post #10 of 18

I hear that Colette Peters will be a guest at the next New Jersey ICES Day of Sharing. For those able to attend, perhaps we can find out.

izzybee Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:14am
post #11 of 18

sweetsuccess,
I would love to find out more about the NJ ICES chapter. I didn't see anything on the ICES site. Can you PM me some more info please?

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:19am
post #12 of 18

Sure, izzybee.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:23am
post #13 of 18

their going to re-run the show again on sunday   February 19, 2006 7:30 PM ET/PT on foodnetwork...Suger Rush

the 3 cupcake picture is not the one she does in the show she does a cupcake but is only one BIG cupcake. she said in the show that the cherry is cake cover in fondant painted red...don't miss the show this sunday

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 12:27pm
post #14 of 18

Ok, I saw the repeat last night. I'm sorry, but I thought the cupcake cake was just plain nasty looking. Who the heck would wants fondant 3inches thick on cake? icon_confused.gif Ick!

I love some of her work, but the cupcake looked like one of those outdoor playground toys that are on the giant springs. It just did not look at all tasty. It was a cool idea for a cake, but I am spoiled by all the lovely work on CC. You ladies have beautiful cakes that also look delicious. icon_smile.gif

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:08pm
post #15 of 18

I saw the show last night. The cake was very cute.

The Food Network TV Schedule is right here.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/programdaily/0,1904,FOOD_9927__EST,00.html

Misdawn Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 18

The cherry was cake too? Do you thinj she used the ball pan? If so, I wonder how big the rest of the cake was! I was planning on using 4 10" layers for the bottom half and then bake in my stainless stell bowl for the "frosting". My version is only going to be about 12" high and 10" wide. What could I use for the cherry? The ball pan would be way too big! I have get started baking tonight! icon_cry.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 18

Do you have the mini wonder mold pan? That might work a little....or take a cupcake and carve to the shape that you need icon_smile.gif

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 9:15pm
post #18 of 18

i think that the cupcake ideas is a good one Mouse for the cherry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%