Home Oven - Convection?

Business By scarlett873 Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 3:12pm by scarlett873

scarlett873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett873 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 9

We're looking at getting a new oven for our home. We've done some window shopping, but I thought I would gather opinions of those who actually bake regularly...

I want a convection oven, but does anyone have any advice in regards to electric vs gas vs dual fuel? We currently have a gas stove at home now, but I wasn't sure how well a gas convection would do. We love the gas stove top, but I don't like our gas oven.

And are there any brands that better than another? We've seen Jenn-Air, GE, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, and Kitchen Aid.

I think I'm going cross-eyed looking at all of these different ovens!

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 9

Duel fuel is the best, in my opinion. Electric ovens are more reliable in home ovens, and a gas cook top is great. Convection is usually more, it can be helpful, but not required. And cookies can fly around if they are little. icon_smile.gif

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 9

I agree- dual fuel is the way to go if you like to cook with gas. I have a Frigidare dual fuel that I decided on after much research...I've had it for 2 years now and my only complaints are that the fan only has one speed, and you can't use the convection feature at any temp. lower than 300F. But it bakes fabulously, and even had a convection roast setting which I love to use for chicken- I get such a nice crispy skin!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:38am
post #4 of 9

I agree. gas range, but electric convention oven.

scarlett873 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Hubby and I went to a local appliance store and ended up with quite a steal on a gas convection range! It was one of those you just can't pass it up deals...it was a floor model that they were trying to move and had it marked down in price. And then it turns out that I know the salesperson's sister (in culinary school with her)! So he gave us an additional deal...

We got this one in black! Image

I was a little concerned about it being an all gas convection oven, but hopefully it'll work for what I need! icon_smile.gif

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 9

How nice that looks!! I love how you set up the area for the photo thumbs_up.gif

Enjoy baking in it!

scarlett873 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:55am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcaker

How nice that looks!! I love how you set up the area for the photo thumbs_up.gif

Enjoy baking in it!

oh..heehee..that's the picture from GE...not of my kitchen! My kitchen is so dark that it doesn't photograph well...but thank you!

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:42am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett873

Quote:
Originally Posted by customcaker

Enjoy baking in it!

oh..heehee..that's the picture from GE...not of my kitchen! My kitchen is so dark that it doesn't photograph well...but thank you!

LOL!!!!! icon_redface.gif

scarlett873 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9

I have to say that I LOVE my new oven!!! I was a little concerned about the whole gas convection thing, but it works like a dream!! My cupcakes come out perfect...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%