Great Way To Get Business!!!

Business By sugartopped Updated 20 Feb 2006 , 5:48pm by Cake_Geek

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:16am
post #1 of 15

hang out in the invitation isle of your local party store!!! icon_lol.gif

i was meeting a client at our party store...Party City...b/c she wanted to buy invites and then decide what type of cake she wanted. but anyway, I was showing her my portfolio and going through the 'ordering' process. Well a couple of people walked by and stopped to look through my book also!!! By the time i was ready to leave I gave 4 people my name and # and I had a small crowd admiring my pics!! (ok only like 6-8 people...but was enough to go around my entire cart icon_cool.gif ). I almost felt like a 'star' icon_rolleyes.gif

Was really nice confidence boost!!!!! I'm on cloud 9 right now!!!! But we'll see if the people actualy call!!!

Christine

14 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:32am
post #2 of 15

That's too cool! I'm going to have to try that. I've been tempted to pass out my cards at supermarket bakeries (while I'm just casually checking out the cakes) but figure I might get chased out icon_smile.gif

HaileysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaileysMom Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 15

How funny! I'm glad that happened to you. I might have to "stage" that scenario with the help of a relative!

Steph

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 15

cool...let us know!

arianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arianne Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 15

HMMMMMM..that sounds like a very good idea, thanks for the heads up. Wish I didn't live in such a small town..lol.

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:39am
post #6 of 15

I was shopping in my local M8ichaels storte in the cake decorating aisle, (where else), and the gentleman was looking bewildered at the fondant and a cake pan. I started talking to him and he said his daughter wanted a fondant cake for her birthday and he never had made one before. I explained how they were done and even showed him the fondant book by Wilton. He asked me if I would be interested in making it for him, and I told him I would be. I made it and put ballons and wrapped presents on the cake also. When he picked it up he told me it looked great and would be the highlight of the party. Made me feel great as this was my first sale!!! The best part was his brother just sold his bakery here in town so that made feel really good. You never know when/or where you will get some business from. cheffie icon_biggrin.gif

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:29am
post #7 of 15

I'm too shy to get clients like that, but a funny story is that I was shopping at Michaels and met another woman that sells cakes as well, we talked for about an hour an exchanged phone numbers in case we needed help from each other with recipes and techniques. It was nice, but she lives so close to me that I can't get it out of my mind that she's also competition (she's had many clients and her cakes are beautiful, while I'm still waiting for my first order - not from family, like all the ones I've done), so it's a little discouraging, but anyway.... never give up, right!? My time will come! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:45am
post #8 of 15

Well, I can understand how having a competitor practically on your doorstep can be a little disheartening. There will always be someone out there. The good thing is your "neighbor" can't handle every order, and she might steer some good business your way. Another thing, is to examine what she's doing, benefit from it, and look into yourself at how you can use your strengths to carve out a piece of cake for yourself. Also, if you find yourself lacking in some area--figure out a way to balance it out or improve your skills. And remember, you are you and she is she. You have your own personality and sparkle that is unique.

It took me a while to start getting orders, but when they came in I had to eventually turn some down, the orders came in so fast. Then for a period, I burned myself out, and took a break. I too have looked around at people who were just starting to get noticed way back when and now they are cake stars. There is sooo much competition, but I can't afford to focus on that. The food business is a billion dollar business. There is more than enough room for everyone.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:51am
post #9 of 15

Congrats! Pinkbunny! I too find it difficult to just start up a conversation with perfect strangers--especially being a native New Yorker. But I do carry a small portfolio of my cakes, and when I can work it into a conversation during social gatherings I do. I also have business cards ready to hand out to everyone so that people who need my telephone number will also know that I am a cake decorator. I really started getting orders though when I gave free samples of cake and cookies for charitable events and office gatherings with my business cards attached.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:41am
post #10 of 15

Pinkbunny~
That is SO AWESOME!
What a fun time it must've been to show your pics to an audience. icon_biggrin.gif I'll bet your feet were 2 feet off the floor! I know mine would've been.
I'm thinking about making up a little postcard or index card sized flyer to give people when I manage to weazel my cakes into conversation with strangers at the store. That way they'll have something w/a pic on it to remind them who I am. LOL

Congrats to you for some well deserved attention! icon_smile.gif

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 15

you know talk to the bakery manager at your local stores. There are a lot of cakes that they just can not do, ie carved cakes and charature cakes. Ask if you can leave some of your cards there so if they get a request that they can not do they could forward them to you. My nephews gf works in the bakery at a local store and she told me that some stores do allow this. Just a thought you might want to try.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 15

Ahhh, Michaels must be the buissness haven for a lot of people. I was shopping for some decorating stuff, and ended up helping a lady. Turns out that she is looking for someone to do 50 mini cakes for her daughters wedding and was wondering if I@someone who could do it. Well, naturally I said I could do it for her and gave her my number. I just am figuring out the rough pricing for her now...

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 15

Funny!! Every chance I get to tactfully work making cakes into the conversation, I do! We had a home inspection on Friday and the inspector was going to check out the oven and stove. I told him don't worry b/c I was going to rip them both out when we move in b/c of needing better appliances for baking. We got to talking and he asked for my name and phone #. My real estate agent did the same thing to me when she came to check out our house to put it on the market.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 15

I am interested in what kind of small portfolio you all carry. What size - small enough to put in a purse? do you use digital or regular photographs. I am picturing one of the "brag book" sized things with nice photos of your cakes. How often do you change out the photos, or do you have the "best" representation of the types of cakes you make. I am hoping to eventually get good enough and learn enought to actually carry a portfolio of my own, and make a couple of $$$ along the way.

Deb

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 15

I just have a small photo album with pictures of the cakes I've done. It fits into my purse for right now. I may upgrade or just leave in it a sampling of cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%