Wedding Cake ...help!!!

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 11 Mar 2006 , 2:29am by stephanie214

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 5:40am
post #61 of 169

AlamoSweets,

You are trully a caring person...you're making me cry.

The wedding is an hour from me. She is picking the cake up.

I'm seriously thinking of delivering it myself...I can see cake flying all over the way icon_lol.gif Might get to talk to some people.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 5:46am
post #62 of 169

Stephanie,
I can't wait to see your beautiful cake!!! It's going to look fabulous icon_smile.gif You are such a Sweetheart for doing it.

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

stephanie214 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 6:10am
post #63 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

Stephanie - those are really beautiful! All of the elements you mentioned will make a very elegant cake once they're all together...BRAVO to you!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Keep your fingers crossed for me icon_wink.gif

Thanks my Little Susan,

hope I can pull this off. I see what I want to do in my mind but it might not come together on the cake right.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 7:15am
post #64 of 169

Oh kiddo, I have no doubts at all that you will pull off what you can see in your mind. I love these molds, just love architectural (spelling ? it is late, haha) detailing like these items.
I have done a lot of cakes for free and for cost in my lifetime. With some of them I could have free rein over the design and I went nuts. After all, it is a perfect time to try something you want to do and since there isn't really any profit in it for you, you might as well have fun. Sometimes it was really well appreciated, other times not. But I always did it with the attitude in mind that I was going to enjoy it. I think that is key, we cannot do our best when we resent something, but if we do things with a good attitude, it is rewarding for us. And sometimes, it makes a difference in people's lives. Maybe not the lady ordering it but likely the couple receiving it.
I have enjoyed reading all of the posts here, I know a lot of you and know you are all being protective and supportive in your own unique ways. We tend to try to protect each other.
But I am going to offer a bit of a tip on this one. I would plainly state to the woman who asked you to do this cake, just how many hours you put into it, and what you would normally charge for it. I would state, "This is a $300 cake" or whatever you feel you would charge someone else. She may well mean well, or she may tell others that she got the cake for $60 and you may find yourself extremely busy with a whole lot of orders that are not worth your while, down the road. And the only reason I am saying that is that I have seen many, many posts here and on other sites where a church member was approached by a minister, a wife, someone from the congregation and it became an ongoing thing and they just couldn't afford to keep doing it.
I believe in helping out others, I most especially believe in making weddings and births of children a special magical time for the people involved and in doing this cake, you are adding some magic to this couple's special day. You do beautiful work and this will be a work of art, I have no doubt at all. How kind of you to participate!
Hugs Squirrelly

stephanie214 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 8:17am
post #65 of 169

Thanks so much Squirrelly,

Having such positive responses keep me wanting to trully make a cake that will add to their day.

Sometimes we have to put the money factor aside and lend a hand.

The lady that ask me to do this knows without a doubt that I am taking a lost on this. I will definitely give her a price that it would have cost.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 8:28am
post #66 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Thanks so much Squirrelly,

Having such positive responses keep me wanting to trully make a cake that will add to their day.

Sometimes we have to put the money factor aside and lend a hand.

The lady that ask me to do this knows without a doubt that I am taking a lost on this. I will definitely give her a price that it would have cost.

Hi kiddo,
You know, that is the protective instinct coming out in me. I think I have been awfully naive in the past and sometimes it was just fine but sometimes I got taken advantage of. But the main thing is to go into things with the right attitude because that is the only attitude we can control - our own.
I find that the memories we cherish most dear are the ones of things that strangers have done for us with absolutely no obligation to do so. Those are the memories I have of my own wedding when total strangers surprised us with an action, a deed, or some gesture.
I think down the road that most brides cherish the memory of their gown and their cake, seems to be the two most important tangible memories from that special day. So it is pretty exciting for you to be making a memory for these strangers!
You are a sweetheart, I know this cake is being made with love!
Hugs Squirrelly

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 8:36am
post #67 of 169

Those look beautiful Stephanie!!!
How did you do them? Just press the MMF into the mold & wait until it dried a little? Where did you find the mold for that?

I'm positive it will be an absolutely wonderful cake that will be truly appreciated by the bride & groom.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 2:31pm
post #68 of 169

Do you have to assemble at home before you took it to there? You may want to consider assembling it there. You are putting so much hard work and so much of yourself into this cake if possible I would drive it there myself and present it to the Bride. I know it is a small wedding but you could volunteer to cut the cake at the reception. That way you can not only hear all the praises but you will be able to talk to people. All in all the price of the cake or what it would cost elsewhere doesn't have to come up. To me that would be a thing in the past and forgotten. Everyone knows how expensive wedding cakes are. A few people may ask you how much you would charge for something like it and you could tell them then but why bring the negative feelings back by even dwelling on what the lady asked you to do it for.

I know you will come out of this feeling the blessings and a renewed attitude and outlook on doing wedding cakes. What a great start for you! Wedding cakes can be intimidating. If it happens to you like it did me I could feel my heart in my chest when I left my first one and after everyone was going on and on about how beautiful it was. The Bride was saying it was so perfect and she was so happy. I couldn't wait to get another one! Deliver it if possible. You will have the most wonderful payment of all and that is to see the Bride's face when she sees the cake. It is a dream of hers like every other little girl has dreamed and YOU are making it come true and she doesn't even know it yet! In turn she will always always remember the wonderful person that gave so much of herself when she didn't need to and she will carry that with her and give of herself. So see, you are creating a landslide of caring and boy do we need more of that! thumbs_up.gif

AlamoSweets Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 2:57pm
post #69 of 169

Is there anything that I can do that would help you with this cake. I have a printer to do edible images. Do you want to do their monogram on the top? Butterflies? Anything? Don't hesitate to ask I will be more than happy to do what I can from a distance and ship it to you. It would be my pleasure! thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:37pm
post #70 of 169

Alamosweets,

You are doing it again!!! my tears won't stop.

I think that this cake will mean more to me in the long run than all the other paid full price for cakes that I have made.

My mouth is still hanging open from your cakes that you posted. Gosh, If I only had 1/2 of your talent...you are the bomb!!!

They want their name on the cake so I was thinking about just doing their initials in royal icing and covering with the dust. Sharone couldn't tell me whether or not if the bride would have a topper. Any ideas on a topper that I could do?

I was thinking about doing a bow in the ivory covered with dust and then putting their initials on top, think this would be to cheesy looking?

Yes, I am going to deliver the cake and sit it up. I would like to use my plates and pillars to give some height. Any ideas on that?

Can't you tell, I think that I'm almost as excited as the bride icon_lol.gif

Squirrelly Cake,

Squirrelly my old pal, you have a way with people and making them feel so comfortable. When I first met you on the Wilton forum several years ago...gee, has it been that long icon_surprised.gif I throught that you were an elderly lady, you have such wisdom and insight only to find out that you are just as young as I am icon_lol.gif . Yes, we might not be young in years but we are definitely young at heart icon_wink.gif

Thanks so much for all your help thumbs_up.gif

swoboda,

Yes, I just press the MMF in the mold and went around it several times to try to get all the imprinting. First, I applied a dusting of cornstarch so that the MMF woudn't stick.

AlamoSweets Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 5:14pm
post #71 of 169

I think the bow would be lovely. You could put their initials on sticks and include them in the bow. See the initials I did on this cake. I only used poster board and glued real crystal glitter on them. I had to make sure there was no way for the glitter to touch the cake therefore I made it part of the rose topper.

To give more height I have added a plate and columns on the bottom. You would need to put something in the middle of it though such as flowers. I also did that on the cake I am attaching. In fact I do that on all of my wedding cakes. I think it makes it look more dramatic.

I would be glad to do the initials if you need me to. I wasn't kidding when I volunteered to do anything you needed help with. You're the best and thanks for the compliment on my cakes. I truly have found the path I am suppose to be on. I really think we all have one and it is just a matter of finding it. Because of my love of making cakes I have met some wonderful and giving people on this site.
LL

stephanie214 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 10:38pm
post #72 of 169

Hi AlamoSweets,

I made my bow loops out of gumpaste, did them in ivory and peach.

This is my first time trying to do a bow. I rolled the gumpaste out kind of thin. For some reason, they don't look all that good icon_cry.gif

I like that idea with the initials. Where can I find the real glitter?

I appreciate you offering to do them for me but I'm scared that they wouldn't get here on time. I would love for you to walk me through doing them if you don't mind icon_wink.gif

You have something that alot of us could only wish for; a kind and loving heart and the willingness to help without being asked.

I am trully blessed having all my CC buddies behind me on this and giving me the encouragement to muddle through. icon_lol.gif

I will be using my Roman plates and pillars set. Can't decide whether to use plates under the 10" and 6" or just use cake boards.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 10:41pm
post #73 of 169

I think that after reading this entire thread that you both ( alamo and stephanie) are wonderful people! I too would love to know where to get the crystal glitter...craft store? And the cake sounds gorgeous! I cant wait to see it!

stephanie214 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 11:02pm
post #74 of 169

I don't know about it looking great but I'm giving it my all icon_lol.gif

Basically, this cake is allowing me to do alot of new things.

AlamoSweets Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 11:08pm
post #75 of 169

You are too, so kind, all of you.

I found the crystal glitter at the hobby store. The pieces are larger than the regular glitter. However, if it is hard for you to find I would go with regular. On the computer I found the font that I liked for the couple and printed their initials out as large as I wanted. The last name initial in the middle and is usually larger. The Groom's first name initial is on the left and the Bride's initial is right. Print 1 of each. Use these as a pattern to cut the initials out of a card stock. Cut two of each. Put glue on each to make a sandwich with the stick in the middle. If the card stock is thick enough you can just glue the stick on the back of each initial. If you have foam core board a skewer would slip into the foam and you wouldn't have to glue two together but make sure you put a dab of glue on the skewer before you insert it so it will stay put. You may want to use glue and glitter a little way down the skewer to cover the wood. After they are thoroughly dry brush on a clear drying glue being sure to get the edges. Be generous with the glitter and make sure none of the board show and the edges are covered too. Stick them in florist foam to dry. When dry you can give them a (very) slight spray of hair spray to keep the glitter from falling onto the cake. I hate using non-edible things on a cake. I think if I had to do it again I might try MMF and let it dry, brush royal icing on them and use edible glitter or sprinkles to match the decorations of the cake. You could "glue" those onto the bow with royal icing. At this stage in the game I think you should do what is the easiest for you.

I have truly enjoyed seeing this post come to where it has from all of the negative comments. I am sure everyone was only trying to protect you from being taken advantage of. With all of the support and encouragement from such a great group I think you have turned this sour grape into a fine fine wine don't you think?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 11:13pm
post #76 of 169

Hi Stephanie!

I love all of your ideas so far and your molded pieces are beautiful!

Have you considered maybe doing the cake sizes 10, 8, and 6??? Just wondering since it is a smaller wedding??? Well...however you do it I know it will be gorgeous! thumbs_up.gif

I have a wedding cake that I am doing in September that I will be doing for cost. It is for a friend of mine's son. My friend has experienced a lot of issues over the last year and I really wanted to do something nice for her. There is nothing wrong with doing nice things like this.

AlamoSweets,
I agree that ALL of your cakes are amazing! You are so talented! thumbs_up.gif I may ask you some questions soon about a wedding cake I have coming up in April!!!! Are you in San Antonio??? I am in Houston. You are very kind with all that you have said! icon_smile.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 11:17pm
post #77 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

It's not up to us, or anyone else, to assume the financial abilites of anyone else. And there's nothing wrong with being charitable to others, for whatever your reasons might be....period.

Well, said.

I think it is wonderful that you are helping this couple out with their wedding cake. I know it will be very special to them to have a beautiful cake instead of a grocery store slab. I'm not sure why people are so caught up about the price. 20-25 servings is a very small wedding cake. $2.50-$3 slice is the going rate for basic wedding cake here.

Good luck with your first wedding cake. Even if this cake does not generate orders from the church, you will have learned how to make a wedding cake and have a wonderful pic for your portfolio.

Hugs and happy baking! icon_smile.gif

AlamoSweets Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 11:20pm
post #78 of 169

You know after looking at the images I have of the initials I remember that the card stock was just righ for glueing the stick on the back and that I really wasn't too concerned about it because the stick was covered with glitter part way too. I may have been to completed in my explanation. Sorry.

stephanie214 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 11:23pm
post #79 of 169

I think that we are all banning together to give this couple a special present and I wish that all of you could be there in person.

This project has really come to life and brought us back together as CC buddies. This might sound strange or weird but I can actually feel your warmth and kindness.

AlamoSweets Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:03am
post #80 of 169

Back at you Stephanie!

AlamoSweets Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:05am
post #81 of 169

traci,
I would be honored if you asked me questions about your upcoming wedding cake. I would consider it a compliment icon_smile.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:10am
post #82 of 169

Hi Stephanie! I'm jumping in on this kind of late but I think it's wonderful that you agreed to do this and help out this couple. Even if you don't get orders right now from this I really do believe everything we do comes back to us! And I know this will be a beautiful part of their wedding and reception. Can't wait to see it!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:13am
post #83 of 169

Hi Stephanie! I'm jumping in on this kind of late but I think it's wonderful that you agreed to do this and help out this couple. Even if you don't get orders right now from this I really do believe everything we do comes back to us! And I know this will be a beautiful part of their wedding and reception. Can't wait to see it!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:20am
post #84 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

All in all the price of the cake or what it would cost elsewhere doesn't have to come up. To me that would be a thing in the past and forgotten. Everyone knows how expensive wedding cakes are. A few people may ask you how much you would charge for something like it and you could tell them then but why bring the negative feelings back by even dwelling on what the lady asked you to do it for.
thumbs_up.gif

Well, our pal here pointed out her post to me late at night or perhaps the wee hours of the morning is more accurate, so maybe I missed something here. Why I said it would be good to tell her what the cake was worth was because I was under the impression that this same lady said she might have other orders coming her way as a result. Since this lady is paying $60 for the cake, which consists of two cakes really, the 10 inch and the top layer for the anniversary, I thought it would be a good idea for the woman ordering the cake to know the value, not the bride and groom. The reason I suggested that is that I do, do a lot of free cakes or for cost cakes. I have found myself often in the position of doing a cake for free or for cost that resulted in many orders from people expecting cakes for free or for cost. I am more than happy to do this when I can but I cannot always do so. So sometimes it is better to let a person know the actual value before they start getting your name out there and getting orders for you. That was all I meant. You don't want to find yourself in a postion down the road where you are working terribly hard and start resenting the fact that either your costs are not covered or that there is no profit for you. I was speaking from a few experiences that I have had. I have also had some wonderful experiences when I have provided a cake for free or cost.
Hugs Squirrelly

stephanie214 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:22pm
post #85 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

You are not late icon_lol.gif Thanks so much and please give me some opinions on the cake, bow, scrolls, or whatever.

stephanie214 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 7:27pm
post #86 of 169

Here's my bow and it is horrible icon_cry.gif

I'm just going out to find something else to use for the topper or either do roses.

This might be my first and last time doing a bow icon_lol.gif
LL
LL

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 7:39pm
post #87 of 169

Uhh, are you sure you posted the right bow pictures kiddo because the bow pictures I am seeing look really nice? In fact I cannot see a thing wrong with them, they look perfect and really pretty. Now you know kiddo if you are going to post Antonia or Ellespal's or Adven68's bow, you should say so, right? Because that bow looks to me to be very well done like theirs would be. What did you do, steal a bow picture, haha?
Hugs Squirrelly

traci Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 7:43pm
post #88 of 169

Stephanie,

The bow looks really pretty! thumbs_up.gif

However, I know you need to be comfortable with whatever you do. I think you should use that bow but here is another option. You could go to hobby lobby and have a pretty bow made out of some wired ribbon. They do not charge very much and I recently did this for the blue/yellow cake in my photos.

Anyways...I can't wait to see the finished cake! icon_biggrin.gif

stephanie214 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 7:45pm
post #89 of 169

Hey Squirelly,

Thanks for being so kind by ranking my bow with the masters thumbs_up.gif

The picture makes them look better than they do in person icon_lol.gif

traci Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 7:47pm
post #90 of 169

Did you make your bow out of fondant or gumpaste? It really does look good! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%