adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 1:27am
post #1 of 17

Tonight 9:30p est....

16 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 1:38am
post #2 of 17

I like the show but they don't ever seem to really give you the "secrets" Maybe I've just missed the right shows! Or they are picky on me!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 17

It was a bad "secrets" show....nothing new revealed....same ol', same ol'.....

cakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebox Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 17
prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 17

Wow, I could never get away with charging $45 or more for a 9" layer cake here. His cakes aren't even that fancy. Just goes to show it does matter where you live.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 17

Yeah it is so true. Some places...like LA (My Uncle lives in Beverly Hills) the way people think over there (and in other high-end areas) is if it's inexpensive it's not that good. The higher the price the better it must be! (I am not trying to offend anyone, I'm just saying)...

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 17

HI

Just checked out the website that was attached by cakebox and did you guys know that you can go on his blog....he asks people for ideas for upcoming shows and such....maybe you can tell him what you'd like to see.

Just go to www.cakeslove.com and it's under Cakes love official blog......

Just an idea....

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 17

I'd like them to do something that isn't rehashed form older Al Roker shows including sugar rush. Not to mention get away from the "names" in the business. Show "ordinary people!

I recorded the show when it first came on, but quickly grew tired of it, because of the way the show was produced. (took television broadcasting in school, so I know the potential of making a good show.)

I guess If I don't like it, I could try to do my own thing...

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:33am
post #9 of 17

Definitely overpriced but he is gaining popularity with the show and I'm sure it's increased sales.

I like the show very much though and I think he's a good host.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 3:44am
post #10 of 17

I enjoy looking at the other bakers works and styles.
I don't care to see his ookie hair hanging over all the cakes though icon_sad.gif

Caribou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caribou Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:25am
post #11 of 17

He's African American and wears his hair in a natural style, it's as ookie as Colette Peters when she makes a cake and she doesn't wear a net either. I know you didn't mean anything by that but I'm just commenting. I'd just rather focus on the cake or style than someone's personal appearance.

I like his cakes and the show. Sometimes it's the only airing of cakes on tv so I enjoy them. He uses unusal flavor combos too. His prices don't seem inflated in my area. We have an upscale bakery that is around that price too and there is no over the top sugar art. Just baked goodness sold at a price. I appreciate that he uses the best ingredients and can't wait for a trip to actually taste one of his cakes. They look yummy.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:29am
post #12 of 17

I don't know some of the recipes he makes on the show are alittle off, you have to wonder if they really taste good.While his bakery visits are always interesting the recipes he makes are kind of odd, like I watched him make a pound cake with cayenne pepper in it? That just doesn't sound good!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:38am
post #13 of 17

Cayenne in cake...::shudder:::...maybe I shouldnt knock it b4 trying but sounds eeeewwww...but I will admit to trying cinnamon chicken and loving it...

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:51am
post #14 of 17

I don't know about what cayenne in a pound cake would be like...but cayenne with chocolate is unbelievably yummy! I put a pinch in the chocolate layer cake from epicurious.com that Tripletmom posted here at CC...delicious! You don't really taste the hot, peppery taste you think you will...maybe just a teeny bit on the back end of all the flavors in the cake. But it doesn't make you go ...WOW - that's hot! or anything...lol. Just like salt and pepper enhance the flavors of foods, cayenne seems to do that for chocolate, for some unknown reason to me...lol. icon_rolleyes.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:54am
post #15 of 17

hmmm...I might have to give it a try jen...I know the exact enhancement you are talking about...i am guilty of loving a little extra popcorn salt in my almost all butter bc.....it just tastes awesome!

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:00am
post #16 of 17

This was not a pinch of cayenne, it was like a couple tablespoons and it was a citrus and vanilla flavored cake. Maybe it's great, but it just seemed odd to me. the other thing I saw him make was a tropical fruit trifle, it looked okay, but not great. But again I can't taste throught the TV so could be great. At any rate his shows are always entertaining nd interesting.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:24pm
post #17 of 17

[quote="Caribou"]He's African American and wears his hair in a natural style, it's as ookie as Colette Peters when she makes a cake and she doesn't wear a net either. I know you didn't mean anything by that but I'm just commenting. I'd just rather focus on the cake or style than someone's personal appearance.

I wasn't commenting on his hairstyle...I just freak when I see anyones's hair hanging over their food when baking or cooking because I'm always paranoid about my own hair falling in one of my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%