Roses And Cascading

Decorating By shannas Updated 19 Feb 2006 , 12:17am by LisaMS

shannas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannas Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 13

Okay I know Roses have been dicussed into the ground but I have a different kind of rose question. How do you cascade roses made out of buttercream down the side of a cake? I tried it on a practice cake for Valentine's Day and I had a horrible time with it. Some I got to stay on toothpicks that were inserted into the cake but for the most part they had to be kinda on top of the cake. Can you cascade bc roses down the side or do they have to be royal icing roses? I have a wedding cake in April and the bride is thinking she wants bc roses cascading down the side of it. Any ideas?

Shanna

12 replies
NMyers01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NMyers01 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 13

Have you attempted allowing the BC roses to dry for a few days, or even freeze them so they are firm to handle? And maybe put a dollop of BC (like glue)on the frozen roses and place them on the cake then they'd stay.
Dunno, just an idea.

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannas Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 13

I KNEW I had seen something about it somewhere. I just could not remember where! I swear that when you become a parent your start losing brain cells!!! icon_wink.gif

Thank you ,

Shanna

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 13

Shanna, I use buttercream to "glue" my roses onto a cake but I also try to vary the sizes to create a nice look. You can make some buds also.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 13

Definitely dry the roses first. I also use BC as my glue. I don't use toothpicks. I have one in my pics if you want to take a look. You could always build up a base with icing and then place your roses on that.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 13

shannas,
it's a wonder i even have a brain lol!!
As for the cascading rose thing, I have heard of letting them firm up and using toothpicks or uncooked spaghetti to adhere them to the sides.

shannas Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 13

Okay because I just stink at roses. How do you vary the size? Do you different size tips? How do you make a bud? Do you just not add addition petals? I have tried to do the one that lays flat on the cake and mine look deformed. I have never had cakes that require flowers so I am at a loss.

thanks

Shanna

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 13

I did one, its in my photos.. I did freeze mine and then inserted a toothpick right in the center of them to hold them in place.. BECAREFUL, that you have it right down the middle.. I had a few fall off during delivery...

shannas Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 13

briansbaker,

So if I freeze them how long do I do it for?

Shanna

Smoochiefrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smoochiefrog Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 5:58am
post #11 of 13

I have a cake in my gallery that has cascading roses. It is the ONLY cake I've ever put roses on, and probably the only one that will ever have roses. I used b/c as a glue to hold the roses onto the cake side.

HTH

Tina icon_smile.gif

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 13

I have used buttercream roses on the side and let them dry for a couple of days just left them sitting and they did very well. I could pick them up with my fingers the outside is firm but the inside is still soft.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 12:17am
post #13 of 13

My answer to this would be to kind of stack them up on each other; smaller ones (using a smaller rose tip) on top of larger ones; and also to pipe rose buds directly onto the sides (which aren't so heavy so you don't have to worry about them falling off like you would the big heavy bc roses.) The rose buds and little roses on top of bigger ones will give the appearance of cascading without the engineering nightmare of trying to apply large (heavy) bc roses onto sides of cakes. I have one pic in my album of a basketweave and bc rose cake and this is the method I used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%