Should I Post Mickey Mouse Cake To My Website?

Business By ellepal Updated 15 Feb 2006 , 1:04pm by ellepal

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 12:58am
post #1 of 7

Hi.....I just finished a MIckey Mouse cake, and I'm really proud of it. Both my husband and I collaborated on it , and it really looks like a cartoon. I just wonder, though, if I should avoid putting it on my business website because it is licensed. Any thoughts?

Ellen

PS_-I just put it in my photos if anyone wants to see......after all, I did have to endure my husband singing the MIckey Mouse song until 1 am last night!!! There should be some payoff!!

6 replies
tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 1:10am
post #2 of 7

it looks awesome.. but i have no words of wisdom for your website.. i suppose if you could post it as an example.. i just saw a cake website that had a paragraph stating that licensed cakes are not for sale and pictures are posted to show quality of work... go to cakecorner.com... but i guarantee "off the record" she sells a few..

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 1:20am
post #3 of 7

Very well done and Cute!

You cannot sell licensed cakes, meaning of you used the Mickey Mouse licensed pan. You can of course sell cakes with a mickey mouse theme, etc.
It looks like you just used various sized round pans and joined them together...I'm sure that would be fine...

And it's true...people sell licensed character cakes all the time...

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 6:23am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

And it's true...people sell licensed character cakes all the time...

And they're breaking the law. Disney is famed for being RABID about people using their copyright designs and should they find you, you WILL be paying out the wazoo for it. Bye bye cake biz, bye bye house... Hardly worthwhile for a couple of bucks in sales. Make another gorgeous cake without a copyrighted character or design, and post that and avoid the EXPENSIVE fallout.

Besides, it's illegal, no matter how much people wish it wasn't.

This copyright thing has been discussed dozens of times in the last while and it still doesn't change the fact copyright designs are not to be made and sold without a license from their owners.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 6:55am
post #5 of 7

Perfect and adorable, really well done as always!
I think your best bet is to do as was suggested, just display it as an example of your work along with a disclaimer that it is illegal to sell licensed character cakes, and it is still illegal even if it is a fascimile.
And now it's time to say goodnight to all my family...
MIC - see you real soon
KEY - and why, because I like you
mOuse
Hugs Squirrelly

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 7

Do not put it on your website at all. People will want it. Why tease them with something they can't have and also risk getting sued?? I'm not sure a disclaimer is enough.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 7

Ok, thanks for this advice!!! I'll definitely keep it in mind!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%