First Consultation--Help!

Business By loriemoms Updated 14 Feb 2006 , 9:39pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 9

Up to now, I have been doing birthday cakes (which have a lot just over the phone) and cakes of people who know me or are a friend of a friend. I now have my first bride, who would like to meet for a consultation. I have written up a form to use as contracts and have a pricing list and have designs, so I think I am set. But I am still not sure how to be in controll of a consultation. (I used to sell wedding photography to brides, so I know how some of them can be!) Do I go to her house or do I have her come to my house? I was going to offer her some samples (she wants one tier chocolate, one tier vanilla) and some design ideas. Should I make up a dummy cake and show her some ideas or do drawings?

My main question is though the staging set..to me it would make sense to have her come to my house so I have everything here if she has a question..but would it seem wierd for her to be sitting at my dining room table?

How are you doing your wedding consultations?

Thanks again guys!! This kind of caught me off guard, I thought wedding cakes were going to be after I was doing birthday cakes for millions of years! hahaha

8 replies
Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 9

I see No reason that she couldn't come to your house. Afterall, she would be going to the bakery if they were doing her cake. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

As far as making a cake dummy, you could I suppose, but I would think pictures are just as good. Do you have a portfolio?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 9

There is a great thread on here something about "how do you do your consultations" with lots and lots of good info like giving them the sample and then leave the room so they can try the cake without feeling pressure. I wouldn't go to all the trouble of making up a dummy. Have her bring pics and ideas of what she is interested in to the consult then you can offer suggestions based on what she likes. That way you aren't throwing too many choices at her. I see no reason not to do it at your house-unless you don't want them to know where you live icon_lol.gif

Good luck!

loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

There is a great thread on here something about "how do you do your consultations" with lots and lots of good info like giving them the sample and then leave the room so they can try the cake without feeling pressure. I wouldn't go to all the trouble of making up a dummy. Have her bring pics and ideas of what she is interested in to the consult then you can offer suggestions based on what she likes. That way you aren't throwing too many choices at her. I see no reason not to do it at your house-unless you don't want them to know where you live icon_lol.gif

Good luck!

yes I found the thread!! Thanks!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 4:20am
post #5 of 9

I meet my bride to be at a Starbucks and bring a small 4" decorated cake in a box for her to take home with her. Usually we discuss something other than cake at the beginning just to break the ice and make her comfortable. I have never had to leave without a signed contract and a deposit. I also think that since she is recieving a sample right off that I don't get into having to give different flavors and they leave happy.

loriemoms Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 9

Since this bride has asked for Chocolate and Yellow cake (different for each tier) I plan on just making htose two flavors.

I don't really have much of a Portfolio to show her...Do you think it would be ok to just show her some ideas from books, etc? (gee, you gotta get started somewhere, huh!)

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 9

I would show her what you have done (small portfolio is better than none) as well as other ideas from books and magazines. That way she can actually see your how good you are!
Leslie

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 9

I usually have my clients come to my home, I feel more comfortable here and since I have 2 little ones it is usually best. I show my portfolio and always have a few other books to take a look at. I also ask them to bring a copy of the invitation and color swatches for inspiration!

loriemoms Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 9

I am going to make some Dummy cakes this week with just fondant and then decorate them and take photos! I only have like three photos to show them! Sigh.
I am going to make cupcakes to sample, but I wish I had those square kind of muffin tins you see at gourmet shops. Wouldn't they make great samples?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%