How Do I Decorate With Modeling Chocolate And Fondant

Decorating By mrskennyprice Updated 18 Feb 2006 , 3:56pm by Jenny_nyc

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 2

I made some white modeling chocolate that I dyed pink for some Vday decorations. My question is, do I need to let the decorations dry before I use them? Do they ever completely dry out, or will they always be a little pliable? I am intending to use some for "striping" the sides of one tier and then cutting hearts out of some to decorate the second tier, so the "stripes" need to be pliable. Any suggestions on working with this?

Also, has anyone used fondant to make decorations? I have the same questions about that - I let my last bunch (pieces for a bow) dry overnight, but when I tried to assemble it, the pieces crumbled!

1 reply
Jenny_nyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny_nyc Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 2

My recent experience with modeling chocolate is that it seems to harden when chilled but becomes pliable again when brought to room temperature.

I used modeling chocolate to make a heart shaped "box" in which I placed a heart-shaped cake. I rolled out the modeling chocolate, after kneading it somewhat (to have it more pliable), then molded it onto the BACK of the heart-shaped cake pan. After I was finished trimming the choc. I stuck the shaped chocolate, and the pan it was still shaped over, into the refrigerator. The choc. became hard after refrigeration (and easy to remove from the cake pan) but after bringing the chocolate box to room temperature it was pliable again but a bit less so than before it was refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%