Americolor + Mmf = Bad Combo??

Decorating By fooby Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 3:22am by Eliseawood

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 12

I just made two batches of navy blue MMF using Americolor for the first time. I put the colors in after the marshmallow has melted. What a mess!! icon_cry.gif I've never had problems with MMF when I just did it the regular way (no color) or even when I did it with liquid food color (the first time I ever made it and didn't know better icon_lol.gif ) Anyways, the navy blue MMF turned out to be soft and tears easily. The only way I got it to cover a cake was to refrigerate it overnight, roll it out thick and smaller than my cake. I know I wasn't supposed to roll it out smaller than my cake but it was stretching so quickly and that was the only way I got it to do the job.

Anyone else have this problem with MMF and Americolor? Maybe I should have made regular MMF and then added color? I know darlene_000 has had problems with Americolor and MMF as well. (See post http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-140251-americolor.html+mmf )

Anyone? Someone? HELP!!! icon_cry.gif

11 replies
gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 12

I have not had problems per say, I to add my color if I want a solid brick once my marshmellows are melted, but by adding the powdered sugar I get the right consistency. Adding my Americolors to a white brick of MMF can be sticky at first by I just keep working it, using crisco as needed, even damping some off with a paper towel if I go to much, usually I go to light and have to keep working it in.

Not sure I am understanding you right. How much color do you put in?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 12

I don't have problems when I add americolor. I have made navy, black, and red this way. I just find that when I add the color to the marshmallows I end up using a more PS than I usually do to make white. but I just mix in PS until I have the right consistency.

not quite sure what happened, but dont' give up!

fooby Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 12

The first batch I made, I added more PS and the second one I made I added the normal amount of PS. The second batch seemed to be the right consistency but when I checked this morning, it had the same consistency as the first batch. Was wondering if Americolor should replace water for the recipe. Could it be that by adding water and Americolor I am getting too much liquid in my MMF?

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 12

How much color are you using?

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 12

You need to add more powdered sugar and/or cornstarch. I've done the same thing before, but it can be corrected.

Angie

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 12

I had the same problem when I was doing the terracotta colour for my flower pot cake. I just kneaded in the colour and the MMF really went wonky. I needed the cake for that afternoon so i just went with it and tried my best to patch the cracks. Ended up calling the pot an antique pot.
I havent tried to use my americolor again for MMF so I can't help you.

fooby Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn2467

How much color are you using?

Well it's supposed to be navy blue so I prolly used a lot. I can't exactly say how much but I squirted around 5 times. Approximately 2.5 tsp, I guess.

fooby Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

You need to add more powdered sugar and/or cornstarch. I've done the same thing before, but it can be corrected.

Angie

Isn't this going to make MMF too sweet? Won't cornstarch leave a bad taste to it?

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 12

You already mentioned me... but yup Ive had some bad issues with using a lot of ameri color & MMF... my fondant gets crumbly and weird... and just won't work. I need to make a winnie the pooh character this weekend, Im hoping I won't have issues... I'll be making more pale colors...

If you figure it out let me know, its frustrating!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:48am
post #11 of 12

I only use Americolor now and dont' have any issues with coloring fondant once I learned that you add enough powdered sugar to get it of a workable consistency. If it's not working right it's usually the amount of powdered sugar you used that is the issue. Crumbly = too much ... Way to stretchy/sticky, not enough... Of course, sometimes you don't find this out until it has sat a while, but all isnt' lost, you can just kneed in a little more to get it to the right working consistency for you...

Eliseawood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliseawood Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 3:22am
post #12 of 12

I have had this very thing happen. When my MMF is just white, it works perfectly. But, when I add the paste food coloring to make a very bold color, it does exactly what you said, cracks, stretches easily, and just won't work well. I have tried to add powered sugar or cornstarch, and I have tried adding Crisco as well. I had to just throw 2 batches away! It was so disappointing! If anyone knows a solution I am dying to hear it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%