Black History Month

Decorating By tinanh27 Updated 22 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm by Toca

tinanh27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinanh27 Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 10

HI CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH A IDEA ON WHAT KIND OF CAKE I CAN DO FOR BLACK HISTORY MONTH. I WOULD LIKE TO DO CUPCAKES BUT IF NOT A CAKE WILL BE FIND ALSO THANK YOU .

40 PEOPLE EVERYTHING ESLE IS UP TO ME. THIS IS DUE ON THE 27TH.

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 10

a quick search on google images for black history month showed a common theme:

a collage of images of important people in Black History, often superimposed on an outline of Africa with either black, green, and red OR some type of native African fabric pattern as a background

you could accomplish this w/ an edible image.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 10

How about a cake decorated like a flag in their colors or cupcakes in the colors with different animals sitting on top.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 10

I thought the same, use the colors of the African flag and maybe do a search for cultural items to reproduce with royal icing or a transfer.

tinanh27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinanh27 Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 10

for those of u that responed thank s alot. if i offend anyone because of the bump i did i apoligize, i rec'd a private message asking not to bump. i only did it beacuse i wanted the message to get seen. if u are like me i pretty much only read the message that's on the 1st page very seldom go into the forums.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 10

Tinanh there is alot on here and if you don't check in often, the page is full of new replies and I don't read everything either but skim by topic. I do like to look at the new uploads everyday, if I have time.

Good luck with the cake/cupcakes, do a Google image search, you will find something!

kibibi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kibibi Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 10

I would try to do something themed with the civil rights movement, like marches and speeches, maybe the I Have A Dream speech . Or maybe even some african-american inventions. I personally dont like the african flag idea since most african-americans came from all over africa and there is no "one" flag that could represent all the areas or cultures. I think it would be safe to stick to something that happened here in america because most african-americans would recognize it better. MPO

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:51am
post #8 of 10

Hi tinanh27,

Just wanted to know if you had decided on a design yet icon_wink.gif

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 10

I agree with kibibi. To me, referencing Africa doesn't fit in. If you search google.com you could maybe get some ideas. Apparently the man that started this was named Dr. Carter Woodson.(I never knew this) Anyway, what about a sheet cake with a title. Let's Celebrate! February is Black History Month! Draw a calendar of February in middle of cake and list names of important people such as Dr. Carter Woodson, MLK, Jr., Rosa Parks, and others, around the calendar because these people were important in Black History. Also, add "I have a dream..." Maybe a few pics. PM me if you want more of my help.

Toca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toca Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker

I agree with kibibi. To me, referencing Africa doesn't fit in. If you search google.com you could maybe get some ideas. Apparently the man that started this was named Dr. Carter Woodson.(I never knew this) Anyway, what about a sheet cake with a title. Let's Celebrate! February is Black History Month! Draw a calendar of February in middle of cake and list names of important people such as Dr. Carter Woodson, MLK, Jr., Rosa Parks, and others, around the calendar because these people were important in Black History. Also, add "I have a dream..." Maybe a few pics. PM me if you want more of my help.

umm, I'm going to have to beg to differ here. using african references is appropriate, even more so than that of the civil rights movement, unfortunately, most fail to realize that the majoirty of black history is in Africa.and although there is not one flag that covers the continent it is understood among African-Americans that the Liberaton Flag (Red, Black and Green) is inclusive of people of African Decent throughout the Diaspora(the world). good luck on your search.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%