I Need Advise On A 14In Round

Decorating By tkyker Updated 13 Feb 2006 , 4:57am by theflourshoppe

tkyker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkyker Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 11

This is the first time I have done a round this large. How do I plop the top layer on without breaking it in half?

I'm making the cake now so hope someone is around. Thanks for your help

10 replies
tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 11

i like to freeze mine first.. then its easier to manuver.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 11

I would use a flat cookie sheet with no edge (or a cake board of similar size, if you have one) Gently slide your top layer onto this. Then again, gently slide it off onto your bottom layer. You may need another set of hands to do this. I hope this makes sense. icon_smile.gif

tkyker Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 11

Oh thank you, I'm gonna try that! I'll be okay once I get that large one done. Great ideas!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 11

You can also sprinkle some powdered sugar on the board or sheet to help it slide.

tkyker Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 11

I DID IT!!!!!!! Okay, here's what I did. I put wax paper on the extra board. Then I put a little corn starch on the board, turned the cake over, onto the board and then just slid it off and onto the bottom layer. It worked great! The worst is over. Now onto the iceing........Thanks you guys! Therese'

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 8:31am
post #7 of 11

Glad to hear it was a success. I've never worked with a round THAT large...can't wait to see the final cake. icon_smile.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 11

Good for you. Don't forget to share your pix!

theflourshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theflourshoppe Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 11

I have 2 large wire racks. I also flash freeze my cakes which makes life very easy.

However, if you haven't frozen the cake and it is the top cake you're adding, put the side you want to lay on top of your filling, down on the wire rack. Hold it against your body with your right or left hand on the other side of the rack and with your free hand, gently slide the cake onto the waiting cake.

Funny, we all have our techniques but this one using a wire rack means cake stability where using a cardboard cake board to mean is scary.

IF for some reason the cake does break, get it on the cake anyhow and repair the split with icing...then, put a grease proof/wax paper cover on it, then a cake board or cookie sheet or the wire rack, and turn the cakes over making the original bottom cake, the bottom...ice and all will be ok.

I've been doing this since the early 80's...it's cute to read how new people still go through the things I did...I'm glad there is a place where people care enough to share.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 11

I use a large cookie sheet.

theflourshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theflourshoppe Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 4:57am
post #11 of 11

I messed up in my response I just noticed.

I said if when you put the cake on top and it does crack, turn it over so the bottom becomes, the bottom...NO, NO...the bottom then becomes, the perfect unbroken top.

SORRRRRRRy.

Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%