Sheet Cake Sizes

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 11 Apr 2014 , 9:36am by CWR41

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 15

I see so much conflicting information on sheet cake sizes! What do you call a 1/4 sheet, half sheet and full sheet? (sizes that is)
I looked on the Wilton site and I don't even reconize some of the sizes they have there! I see they have 9x13, 11x15 and 12x18 size pans. Are these 1/4, half and full? What really IS a sheet? I looked all over here and cannot find a chart anywhere...does someone have a chart I can look at?

Thanks!

14 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 15

hiya loriemoms,
a quarter sheet is a 9x13 a 12x18 is a true half sheet and two 12x18's put long sides together is a full sheet.
Hope that helps.
o BTW hun, all a sheet cake is is a cake baked in a flat, rectangular pan usually no taller than 2 inches.
As for servings; unstacked sheet cakes are, for the most part, cut into 2x2 slices.
a quarter will yield between 20-24 servings, a half 40-48 and a full sheet 90-96 about half that if peeps want a bigger piece of cake. icon_cool.gif

loriemoms Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

hiya loriemoms,
a quarter sheet is a 9x13 a 12x18 is a true half sheet and two 12x18's put long sides together is a full sheet.
Hope that helps.
o BTW hun, all a sheet cake is is a cake baked in a flat, rectangular pan usually no taller than 2 inches.
As for servings; unstacked sheet cakes are, for the most part, cut into 2x2 slices.
a quarter will yield between 20-24 servings, a half 40-48 and a full sheet 90-96 about half that if peeps want a bigger piece of cake. icon_cool.gif

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That helps SOOOO MUCH!!

MsTamara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTamara Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 12:05am
post #4 of 15

I hate to sound silly but can someone point me to a picture of a stacked sheet cake. I have never seen one and have eaten from a lot of sheet cakes in my day.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:34am
post #5 of 15

I'm not sure by what you mean by stacked but here is a standard 1/4 sheet cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_60_-23469.html

chaptlps Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:39am
post #6 of 15

hiya tammy
A stacked sheet cake is like those "present" cakes that you see. They are stacked just like any other cake. Just the shape is different. You can find all kinds of "stacked"sheet cakes square or rectangular in the "square" wedding cake gallery.

chaptlps Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:44am
post #7 of 15

k hun,
here is a picture of a "stacked" sheet cake or should I say cakes.
Looks like a full sheet and a half sheet and a quarter sheet.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_83_-20777.html

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 15

duh, I had a bit of a brain hiccup!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTamara

I hate to sound silly but can someone point me to a picture of a stacked sheet cake. I have never seen one and have eaten from a lot of sheet cakes in my day.

One layer on top of another layer and then frosted. Alot of people use this method for adding filling or for the extra height.

When you use this method, you are suppose to get more cake because you cut the slices smaller.

loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 12:31am
post #10 of 15

btw, if a 24x18 is a full sheet, where do you find boards and boxes? (it just sounds so HUGE!)

I have seen 25x17 but not 18 Do you trim it down?

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:00am
post #11 of 15

Don't mean to add confusion here I'll post this quote from another member. I've been trying to figure this out myself and there doesn't seem to be a standard. I think the best way to determine what sizes you want to make would be to either offer what the sizes the bakeries in your area do or tell your customers what size servings & how many pieces they can expect with your sheet cake. I tried finding out the sizes in my area and quickly figured out they don't all make the same sizes. I would even get different servings for the same size cake so now I just find out what size pieces they want to serve, how many people they need to feed and then I tell them what size will give them what they are looking for. Also keep this in mind too, I know here in my area they only do single layer sheet cakes but in other areas they sell double or torted layer sheet cakes. Anyhow, hope this helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

SHEET PANS:
Notes:
1. there is no standard!. No matter where you go or who you ask, everyone has their own version as to what constitutes what size
2. choose what sizes you wish to make - make up a dummy to display as an example of a quarter/half/full sheet [something they can hold in their hands].
3. have a cutting chart for the sizes you have chosen, together with a calculation of how many servings per cake
4. make sure your tins will fit in your oven.

ALL of these examples have been collected from numerous sites on the Internet. Lots agreed with some: lots don't match anyone: and lots make up their own [especially when they make and manufacture cake tins/pans.].

The annoying/worrying trend is companies that are pushing small slab tins as "sheet pans" - they would not produce the required number of serves for a business situation.

=====
Commercial Sizes:
* Quarter sheet pan Standard 13 x 9 or 12 x 8 x 2 or 10 1/2 x 15 1/2x2
* Half sheet pan Standard 18 x 13 or 16 x 12 x 2
* Full sheet pan Standard 26 x 18 or 24 x 16 x 2
======
Commercial Sizes:
* QUARTER SHEET CAKES - 9 X 12 inches
* HALF SHEET CAKE - 11 X 15 inches
* FULL SHEET CAKE - 18 X 24 inches
=====
Commercial Sizes:
* 1/4 Sheet 10" x 13" x 3"
* 1/2 Sheet 18" x 13" x 3"
* Full Sheet 36" x 13" x 3"
=====
Commercial Sizes:
* 1/4 size(quarter sheet) 8 x 12
* 1/2 size(half sheet) 16" x 12"
* Full size(full sheet) 16 x 24
=====
Commercial Sizes[new sizings]:
* QUARTER SHEET 12" x 8"
* HALF SHEET 12' X 16"
* THREE QUARTER SHEET 16" X 18"
* FULL SHEET 16" X 24"
=====
Commercial Sizes:
* 1/4 sheet 10" x 14"
* 1/2 sheet 14" x 19"
* full sheet 19 1/4" x 26 3/4"
=====
Commercial Sizes:
* 1/3 sheet : 11 x 15
* 1/2 sheet : 12 x 18
* 2/3 sheet : 22 x 15
* full sheet : 18 x 24
=====
Sheet Sizes:
* Small Quarter sheet: 7 x 11"
* Quarter Sheet: 9 x 13"
* Third sheet: 11 x 15"
* Half sheet: 12 x 18"
=====

Take your pick!

MsTamara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTamara Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 12:16pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for that picture chatlps I got it now thumbs_up.gif

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 15

I usually go to the local Grocery and pick up full-size sheet cake boxes & boards at the bakery. For a cake that size, you will need more than one board, obviously, so I usually get an extra Board, then cut a board out of thick Poster-board foam. I hate making cakes that big & heavy, cuz it's almost impossible to move them without them cracking! Guess I need to just break down and cut some out of plywood or something.

BTW Lorimoms, I use the same sheet cake dimensions as chaptlps.
9x13 = 1/4 sheet
12x18 = 1/2 sheet
18x24 = full sheet

I sometimes have to trim a little off of the 18x24, because the boxes/boards aren't always big enough to safely get the border on and
into the box.

Mrs Thompson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs Thompson Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:21pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you, This was very helpful for someone just starting out.

:lol:

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 9:36am
post #15 of 15

mrs t:

More info about full sheets (I wrote this in another thread):

A commercial Bun pan is 18" x 26" (outside measurement), and because they are tapered for nesting or making them stackable, the inside measurement is 16.5" x 24.5".

A commercial full sheet is 16" x 24". They are baked in 16" x 24" bakeable cardboard trays that fit into the Bun pans (flat surface portion) which are used during baking for support and handling purposes.

A true commercial full sheet (16" x 24") serves 96 (unit wt. 106-124 oz.).

If this size pan doesn't fit in your oven, and you are baking two 12" x 18" (54 serving) half sheets, they would serve 108 total.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%