Need Shiny Glaze To Go On Gumpaste

Decorating By Daisy1 Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 10:35pm by superstar

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 13

I need a shiny glaze I can mix up to paint on gumpaste. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

12 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 13

You can make gumpaste have a shiny finish just by steaming it. As for a glaze - I am sorry but I don't know the answer to that one.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 13

You can paint it with confectioners glaze. I know you can find it on several websites, and you may be able to buy it locally. I get mine from Nicholaslodge.com

sdanczak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdanczak Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 13

I have also heard of using piping gel - I saw a frog created by a friend out of gumpaste/fondant and painted with the gel -- it was very shiny and beautiful.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 13

You can also put a dab of Crisco in the palm of your hand, brush back and forth with a dry paintbrush and brush the gumpaste item. The warmth of your hand and friction of brushing will slightly melt the Crisco and make the gumpaste shiny. It is only temporary, probably lasts about 2 days. For more shine, after painting with the Crisco, steam the item for just a few seconds over a pan or kettle of steaming water.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 13

Have you tried steaming? You can get it pretty shiny that way. Just for grins, I have dipped entire roses in boiling water....VERY quickly...and it made them look like they were made out of porcelean. Took a while to dry again after that, but they sure were shiny!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:05am
post #7 of 13

You can also buy confectioners food glaze from Country Kitchen. I don't know how to do a link.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:05am
post #8 of 13

Dipping dried gumpaste roses in a mixture of airbrush color and a small amount of Everclear makes a very deep color and very shiny. It too takes longer to dry, about 24 hours. The roses on this cake were dipped.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=65

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #9 of 13

I dust with superpearl and then steam the item. or you can get food grade laquer spray if you want it super shiny

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:54am
post #10 of 13

Nicholas Lodge (internationalsugarart.com) and ChefRubber (chefrubber.com) sell edible spray on lacquer in small relatively inexpensive cans. It does a wonderful job in making gum paste shiny. You can also use full strength confectioner's glaze or glaze thinned with Everclear.

Rae

Sweetgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgurl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 13

I don't care much for the food laquer. When I need a fondant piece to shine I use a clear pan spray. I spray a fair amount on a dish and use a very soft, good paint brush to cover. I've even sprayed directly on my cakes and used the brush as I went around. Now the shine won't stay forever, but I refrigerate if I will use it within a day or two.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 13

I just ordered some GUm Arabic and that is supposed to be good for making things shiny and also noted for being used as a glue.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 13

Where do you buy everclear or can you use alcohol instead?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%