Pricing Flowers

Business By prettycakes Updated 10 Feb 2006 , 3:06pm by Phoov

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 4

I finally decided to use the pricing matrix to price the cakes I make and wow, I have been way undercharging.

Anyway, I tend to make a lot of flowers and am wondering how one should price a cake that has royal icing flowers other than roses...say pansies, apple blossoms, violets, dasies, etc? Do you even charge for them?

And what about color. How many do you include in your price before you charge extra? How much extra do you charge?

Oh, do you charge for things like basket weave, cornille lace, and drop flowers?

These are some things I notice are not on the matrix and am wondering if other people charge for them?

Thanks for the help!!!

3 replies
Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 12:10am
post #2 of 4

At this point, I am charging $2 slice for tiered cakes. Extra for fondant. Extra for gumpaste. I dont' charge extra for royal flowers. I make tons of those at a time and store them and just consider them like buttercream.

I don't upcharge for basketweave, cornelli lace, sotas, or most anything buttercream.

I'm basically $25/box mix on other cakes.....no matter what I do to them. Sheet cakes are a little less if they're just scored with nothing but shell borders.

At this point, I'm trying to win customers so they're getting good deals in many cases. I'm just chalking it up as advertisement. It's working!

My prices are mostly based on what others have charged in this area. I'm not out to get rich....but certainly want to be paid well for my time/materials.

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 4

That is interesting to know. I am thinking Anthony, KS probably similar in size and economics as Clovis, NM (30,000 pop. and low middle income range). It is good to hear from someone else. Thanks.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 4

We are wayyyyyyy smaller.......rural farming community. Same on the income comparison tho~ Close to Wichita, which really is our measuring stick as far as pricing goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%