Pillowy Cake Board Thing!

Decorating By Phoov Updated 9 Feb 2006 , 5:19pm by SquirrellyCakes

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:13am
post #1 of 12

OK....I've looked at those gathered/shirred pillow-looking cake/board/displays....and for the life of me, I can't figure out how they're made. Can somebody enlighten me on this one!!!! Please! You know, the ones used for tiered cakes...usually in wedding presentations.

11 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:25am
post #2 of 12

Check out:
www.r-bdesigns,com
under Techniques in the Message Board
Making a Gathered Cake Base Stand
Here is the link, not sure it will work for you.
http://cakes.r-bdesigns.com/smf/index.php?topic=1483.0
Hugs Squirrelly

Phoov Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:33am
post #3 of 12

Thank you Thank you!!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:38am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoov

Thank you Thank you!!!!

You are welcome, you are welcome, haha! It actually looks better when you use thinner foam or use quilting or crafting foam on plywood or masonite but it can be adapted for just about anything.
Hugs Squirrelly

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:48am
post #5 of 12

Squirrelly, I just wanted to tell you that, I looked at your tutorial when you first put it on, and I thought that it was great. I still haven't made one but have 2 wedding cakes coming up one in August, and not sure when the other will be maybe next year. I think I may make one for use with one of these cakes. I am a quilter, and also do alittle appolstry on occasion so I think, I have about everything, except maybe time. Oh well I'll find some time somewhere. Thanks for all of your help.

Wilma

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Check out:
www.r-bdesigns,com
Hugs Squirrelly

The link worked just fine for me... but none of the referenced photos are visible. Not even a red "X" is there. Have the photos been removed, or do I need to register in order to view them?

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 12

It has been awhile, and I did register to view the entire site.

Wilma

Phoov Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 12

OK....another question (and I apologize if the answer is at the end of the tutorial...I skimmed it last night) - are these a one time use item? I can just see them spotted with icing, etc.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Check out:
www.r-bdesigns,com
Hugs Squirrelly

The link worked just fine for me... but none of the referenced photos are visible. Not even a red "X" is there. Have the photos been removed, or do I need to register in order to view them?

Yes, you have to be registered to view pictures.
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

OK....another question (and I apologize if the answer is at the end of the tutorial...I skimmed it last night) - are these a one time use item? I can just see them spotted with icing, etc.

No, not at all, that is why I made that one with a drawstring effect with the elastic underneath, so it was easily removable to wash. Or you can power staple or gluegun them on and they are still fairly easy to remove to wash. You can cover the top part where the cake will sit, with the clear contac too but for these I don't bother. And the grease from the icing doesn't spread out, at least not on any of the materials I have used so you won't see it on the material.
Hugs Squirrelly

Phoov Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 12

Obviously.......I didn't read enough to even post a second question! Great instructions. I've sewn for years and think that the elastic is the way to go for me. Anxious to give this a try... Thanks so much ML!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Obviously.......I didn't read enough to even post a second question! Great instructions. I've sewn for years and think that the elastic is the way to go for me. Anxious to give this a try... Thanks so much ML!

Well if you go with the elastic, have the material covering more of the underneath part, on this one I went too close to the rim, another inch all around would have been a better idea but it was a last minute wedding cake order. Haha, so last minute that I wrote on the box that I needed the stand returned, even mentioned it to the bride and her maid of honor, didn't take a deposit because it was a pal of my daughter and never recieved it back. Cake dummies are expensive here, fortunately I got a deal on the material but it still cost me $30 to make it. But usually, the good part is that your base too, regardless of what material you use, can be re-used several times whether it is a dummy of board and quilting material or whatever. That is, when you get it back, haha!
I normally gather the old way, with two rows of large stitches and you just pull, takes forever though. But I did find using the gathering tape that you get a lot more bulk, but then, for what we are doing this for, it isn't a big deal.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%