New Here...

Decorating By amywilfong Updated 9 Feb 2006 , 12:57am by subaru

amywilfong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywilfong Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 12

HI everyone!!
I just discovered your AWSOME website and I'm so hooked. I've been just reading and reading for weeks and I've learned so much already. Now what would you guys say are the "MUST HAVES" thumbs_up.gif for a beginner? I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go into a cake decorating store.
Thanks
Amy

11 replies
cpriojas28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpriojas28 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 12

Welcome Amy!! I'm new here too....joined in june but never really had time to sit and read until recently...NOW im hooked!!! Can't stop!! I start my first Wilton class tomorrow!! icon_razz.gif

nbowen3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nbowen3 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 12

Welcome to both of you! Watch out this site is addictive! I can't make anything anymore without getting on here to check it out first! Everyone on here is awesome! thumbs_up.gif

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 12

here is a small list to get started, I am sure some of the others will add to it.
good pans turn table parchment triangles
featerwieght bags color gels angled spatula
good cake mixes or recipes

I also like to have the Wilton year books, american cake decorating Mag. and other books for inspiration and CC for help and to give us all the support we need

missmelbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmelbox Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 12

I'm new to cakes, but I'm not new to the site. It's soo addictive it's crazy. I would suggest a good buttercream, a tip set, turntable/lazy susan, 100ct disposable bags (avoid clean-up), americolor, good pans, and a lot of time to hog the computer for CC!

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 12

Hi Amy,

I am fairly new to the site also, and am already addicted! I've learned SOOOOO much from the talented people on this site.

As far as Must haves, A good stand mixer. I would be lost without mine.
Also, you will need basic tips, and a flower nail. Some good icing tips to start with are #'s 2,3,12, 18, and 104. (these will do your writing, basic shell border, and buttercream roses) I don't know how far you are along in your cake making endeavors, so you may already have these things.

I also recommend buying one of the Wilton cases. There are 3 different ones, and they come with alot of the basic things you will need, plus they are an excellent way to keep things organized. You can usually get a 40% off coupon in the sunday paper, which makes the price much easier to swallow.

Good luck!

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 12

I'd have to say my mixer is my number one best buy for cakes. I'd never get all the frosting made up otherwise. Good basic pans are a neccesity IMO too. I also got the wilton case with the tips. They give you a list of all the basic supplies in course one. The turn table and the mixer are on the top of my list.

Happy Baking!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 12

Hi Amy,
I'm new at this too and already I think I need to get a second fridge for all my frostings and cakes. It is a bit addicting. I did a lot of reading also. Scoured my public library for any decorating books they had. My biggest joy in this has been the good quality pans I've bought. I like Magic Line. What a difference between those and the ones I've bought at the market in days past. I'm also a big fan of parchment for lining the pans and for smoothing buttercream after it has crusted. Other than that, it's tips, tips tips. Anyway, welcome aboard and happy baking!

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:26am
post #9 of 12

Im pretty new here too & only do cakes for fun but I think the best thing I invested in was going to the Wilton classes at Michael's. My instructor was great and really took the time to help us figure out how to do whatever we needed help with.
And I agree with everyone else... this site is addictive!! I LOVE to look at all the cakes on here - I get so many idea for things I want to try I don't even know which one to start with! And everyone here is very helpful with advice & suggestions on how to's etc.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:35am
post #10 of 12

If you like to use cake mixes for your cakes, I'd highly recommend "The Cake Mix Doctor" book for lots of fun and tasty variations! You don't want to have to eat the same flavor cake every time you want to try out a new decorating technique! icon_razz.gif

Welcome to our (huge) little cake family here at CC!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:50am
post #11 of 12

Welcome! YOu wil love it here! icon_biggrin.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:57am
post #12 of 12

You definately need to invest in some wilton cake pans. When I started out 27 yrs. ago I bought a cake pan each payday until I had the ones I needed. I also bought some of the character pans that I seldome used.
I would suggest the wedding cake set. It includes 3 or 4 different size round pans.(I eventually bought 2 sets, so I would have 2 of each size).
I would also suggest 1 each of the sheet cakes. I still have all the pans I started out with, so make sure to invest in the good ones. I don't do this professionally, but have sold a few over the years. I mostly do for family and friends, but dream of one day having my own shop.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%