On My Way To Specialty Bakery Business

Business By Mac Updated 8 Feb 2006 , 3:46am by Mac

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 12:18am
post #1 of 4

I have taken the first step to getting a small Specialty Bakery business. Here in East Texas, you have to have a certified food manager where food is prepared, so I signed up for the 2-day course. Boy, is it an eye-opener.

Alot of the things are dealing with restaurant-style laws and health inspections, but I'm getting great info on storing foods and food products and inventory. As well as legal kitchen set-up.

I have found out that alot of things that we do at home, would definitely be unsafe in a restaurant. So if you are thinking about a small business, see if your area has this type of course. I do believe it will help me in the long run.

3 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 1:32am
post #2 of 4

Congrats! Good for you!

Yes, many people are very lax with food safety/cleanliness in their homes. icon_razz.gif I try to eat as little as possible at pitch-ins because you never know what someone else's definition of "clean" is. (shudder)

Forgot to add: I learned all the basics of food safety working in a fastfood restaurant, but I believe that Indiana now has requirements for all caterers/cooks to be certified in food safety.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 3:40am
post #3 of 4

Mac,
when you signed up for the class did you have to say what company you will be the food manager in. Ive taken the regular food handlers class and i had to state where i worked for that. also how much does it cost. im in North texas.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 3:46am
post #4 of 4

Hey sweetcakes--
They did ask and they have a card for you to fill out, too, that asks. I went with a Chef that I work with for weddings and we told them that we are looking into buying a kitchen for catering purposes. No other questions were asked. The course cost $75.00 and is 16 hours, but day 1 went pretty fast and we got out by 4:15.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%