To Comment Or Not To Comment Why?

Decorating By vixterfsu Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 2:57am by Heath

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 46

Was curious when I look at the photo galleries. I notice how many views and then see 2 comment with 100 views. I always comment when I look at a cake. Some days I'll go through and comment on the non-commented cakes. This process took me 2 hours 1 day. I've seen such great work not even commented on, but viewed. 2 words typed, "GREAT JOB" would be nice to the many who have never had a comment.
When taking a look, try dropping a nice line.

45 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:17am
post #2 of 46

<-------Mary

I do the same but sometimes I can't help but find a cake I just don't like anything about it I simply say nothing, if I can help them on how to improve it I will do it but I am very new to this so advice I am not very good at it opinions yes! I don't wanna offen anyone but how can I say it ....
There's certain types of cakes I just don't like

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:36am
post #3 of 46

some days im out to give encouragement and leave comments, but other days im out looking for ideas. when im trying to find a little inspiration, i don't have time to leave comments, cause i've got lots of pages of cakes to look through.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #4 of 46

i can understand icingandsprinkles point. i stopped looking at so many pictures just because of the slow server issue we've been discussing in another thread. but sometimes, one will catch my eye, and if i look at it, i feel i could at least type in a word or two. i know when i do a cake and see very few comments, if any, it makes me wonder, is it really that bad?
i can't speak for anyone but myself, but if i look at a pic, i'll always try to leave some sort of comment. i consider them words of encouragement, and thats frequently something i find myself in need of.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 46

Also factor in that brides are visiting this site looking for design ideas and I'm sure they are window shopping and not critiqueing.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 46

and sometimes WE are window shopping for ideas and simply don't have time or patience to comment on all of the cakes we look at. When the gallery is loading fast, I comment a lot more.

shannas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannas Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 46

I know for me I leave comments when I can but for me with 4 kids all uner the age of 7 plus a full time volunteer position that leaves not a lot of time. Most of the time I am looking at pictures it is to get inspiration or ideas for something or to see how something is done (i.e borders, tposy turvey, etc).

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 46

I leave comments often but some days I am just browsing to get inspiration and might look at 20-50 cakes in a short time period. Also my kids love to browse the galleries (8 & 6) some days they will look at 5 others 100's. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 46

Personally, my computer is so slow and this site is slower than any other site I go on. Pictures take forever to load, and sometimes never do load. I rarely ever look at the gallery anymore for this reason so if I am browsing through a few pics, I never have time to leave comments. By the time I look through a few pictures an hour has passed and I need to get off here! If my computer was faster and everything loaded like it should I'd gladly leave comments.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 46

I pop in all day and sometimes night whenever I get a few minutes. I tried leaving comments yesterday but it took 1/2 an hour to leave 4 comments, it took so long for each step to download. Guess I will try in the middle of night maybe it is faster then.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 46

I do wish sometimes that people would comment more.... especially on those cakes where you see 400 views and 2 comments.... what's up? Although I do have to say I'm certainly guilty of not commenting. Sometimes "great job" just seems trite..... personal opinion of course.... sometimes I really want to say more and I'm just rushed for time. usually the worst is when I'm looking for ideas and I'm going through tons and tons of cakes...... if I look at one briefly, even if I think it's cute, sometimes I'm looking at 5 others and just trying to quickly get ideas and it takes a litlte time sometimes to leave the comment & reload the page to make sure the comment went through...... so sometimes I don't. Basically I think if you're cake has been viewed 400 times.... there must be something good about it even if it doesn't get commented on! Maybe we can take some solace in that icon_smile.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 46

I leave a comment if something really catches my eye. There are so many cakes posted - particularly over the weekends. I'm personally not one for giving, or wanting, simple platitudes without a whole lot of depth - which is one of the reasons I don't have photos posted. I know my work is average and looks just like half of the stuff that's here. If I've commented on a cake, you can bet I think it's spectacular. (Such as CakeMommy's? stringwork. Oh my, that woman must have some patience)

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:05pm
post #13 of 46

There's a thread on this topic on a daily basis. There are many reasons that people may not comment, hence the gallery support group.....I'm sure everyone agrees that it is nice to get comments....
Many times, members will start a thread a add a link to their photo, and, naturally, the comments will go to the thread...
Other times, a photo may be put on at 3:00 am and viewd by only a handfulof people.
Most of the time, folks are just browsing for ideas.
I comment when I think a cake is exceptional...or I think that the person did a nice job...it really all depends on what I'm doing at the time.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:07pm
post #14 of 46

I try to leave a comment on cakes I look at for ideas! I know with the servers being slow and everything it is time consuming. When I am leaving comments I type my comment in and let it go through but I walk away from my computer bc it is slow. I try and multitask on CC with pics.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:09pm
post #15 of 46

Weekends can be very difficult to leave comments and to get photos to load, lots and lots of people are looking and trying to load. The servers are over loaded and the "can't find server" comes up many times. I go in several times a day. I'll leave comments when I have something nice to say or something that might be helpful. If you look at a cake and like something about it, that is the time to comment, then you can minimize it and go on to something else until it finally re-loads, then close the window. Everyone want to know their work is appreciated and enjoyed. This is kindest place for putting yourself and your work on display. Each cake has a bit of your personality and of course, ego included. Leave a comment.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:26pm
post #16 of 46

Well, that's why they have a boat load of "GALLERY SUPPORTERS"...isn't it THEIR "job" the one they "VOLUNTEERED" for to do just that?

Spend the time looking at the pictures posted in the galleries and leave comments?

many of us come to the galleries to look for ideas...

Me, I'm guilty of looking at pictures and not leaving comments...first of all...I basically just look at the ones on the home page and if there is something that catches my eye..I will then click to enlarge it and if it's something that strikes me, I will comment..I have been trying to leave more comments ..but..sometimes it's hard.

Plus, you all know ..>WHICH gallery I'm spending my time in..lol, and I feel that if someone want's my opinion there...they will ask me for it...it's NOT my job to critique anyone's work...especially when I don't know the person...or how THIN SKINNED they are.

I mean, if you say something they don't like, you get so flamed!

I have had a few conversations with a cc members...( and yes face to face) that have been "FLAMED" for giving their honest opinons....WHEN ASKED!!!!!

so imagine what would happen if you volunteer something someone doesn't like or hasn't asked for opinions!!

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 46

I have to agree with imartsy's point - I would personally take more satisfaction in having 300 or 400 views on one of my cakes than that many comments.

I am guilty of leaving the non-descript "Good Job" or "Awesome" comment when I quickly click on something that catches my eye. Lately I've been trying to leave comments only when I have time and something specific to say about the cake. That's just the type of personality I have...I truly enjoy the quality of the comment (when both giving and receiving) more than quantity of comments.

Just my two cents. icon_biggrin.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 46

When I have time, I absolutely love looking through the galleries. I enjoy commenting on as many pictures as I can, however, I've browsed and commented a lot less lately because I get so frustrated with being kicked out. I have a high speed server yet almost everytime I try to download pictures, I get the message that the web server is not available. I finally just give up. Sometimes its just extremely slow but other times, I get nothing at all. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining but it does get frustrating. If it weren't for this, I would comment a whole lot more.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:42pm
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiescakes

I have to agree with imartsy's point - I would personally take more satisfaction in having 300 or 400 views on one of my cakes than that many comments.

I am guilty of leaving the non-descript "Good Job" or "Awesome" comment when I quickly click on something that catches my eye. Lately I've been trying to leave comments only when I have time and something specific to say about the cake. That's just the type of personality I have...I truly enjoy the quality of the comment (when both giving and receiving) more than quantity of comments.

I agree in this instant....quantity over quality! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiescakes

I agree in this instant....quantity over quality! thumbs_up.gif

Yep! PUt me in the Quality over Quantity category.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 11:03pm
post #21 of 46

I like the fact that people have taken the trouble to view, they don't have to comment. I am sad, & I have said this before on another thread, when I see that stacks of people have put pictures in their favs. & not commented on the cake at all. After all you must have really liked something about the cake or you wouldn't have put it in your favs. I also have a major problem looking at pics in the gallery, but as this seems to be a common problem, I know it isn't me alone.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 11:31pm
post #22 of 46

I'm a gallery supporter member and it's easy for me to comment on the uncommented cakes. I can pretty much find something I like about every cake I see. But that's just me. As for my own personal thought (gallery member aside), I don't really think everyone feels that every one of their cakes needs a comment just for having a comment's sake. If someone doesn't like me stuff, I'm not hurt if they don't want to leave a comment. My guess is that more people feel this way than not.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:18am
post #23 of 46
Quote:

Well, that's why they have a boat load of "GALLERY SUPPORTERS"...isn't it THEIR "job" the one they "VOLUNTEERED" for to do just that?

Spend the time looking at the pictures posted in the galleries and leave comments?

Plus, you all know ..>WHICH gallery I'm spending my time in..lol, and I feel that if someone want's my opinion there...they will ask me for it...it's NOT my job to critique anyone's work...especially when I don't know the person...or how THIN SKINNED they are.

I have had a few conversations with a cc members...( and yes face to face) that have been "FLAMED" for giving their honest opinons....WHEN ASKED!!!!!

so imagine what would happen if you volunteer something someone doesn't like or hasn't asked for opinions!!

Here we go once again with the rudeness icon_rolleyes.gif

No one said that it was "your" job to leave a comment or "critique" some one's cakeicon_mad.gif .

And no, no one should have to worry whether their skin is "thick enough" to deal with the intentional cruelty that continue to come from you and certain other members who have been "flamed" icon_evil.gif

Why you and your followers continue to post with such ridiculous, unintelligent responses is beyond comprehension? icon_rolleyes.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #24 of 46

Hey Stephanie! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:51am
post #25 of 46

Thank you Stephanie! thumbs_up.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:52am
post #26 of 46

I really want to leave more comments-my new years resolution was to leave 10 comments a day, which I know is a drop in the bucket with all that is uploaded, but it is better than I have been doing. I too get aggrivated with the errors and slow loading. Haven't been doing very well with the resolution. But on the flip side of the coin, I have decided that all of my cakes are fabulous icon_lol.gif and people are dying to make comments icon_lol.gif they just can't due to the slow server. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:56am
post #27 of 46

I did volunteer as a gallery supporter, I am retired and probably have more time than many of you to look through the gallery and leave comments. Is it therefore only the gallery supporters who should want to comment on members work? We aren't paid to do it, is being a member of a forum not a place to support and encourage one another? For you Mara to make a statement like that shows me just how self centered you are. No, you don't HAVE to comment on someone's work but you are a member of this forum, was your only reason to join here to post your work and to make inflammatory comments in posts? I am sick of hearing you and a few others of like mind make comments about peoples "Thin Skin" "Over sensitivity." Apparantly you don't realize that people have feelings, it has nothing to do with their ego, it has to do with the fact that they were raised by someone who instilled in them common courtesy, and tact. You get "Flamed" because of the way you word things and your lack of caring whether what you say may hurt or offend someone. And it's like follow the leader when you do this, others who don't seem to care about peoples feelings jump right in and agree with you and whip the flames. Thankfully you are the minority here, not the majority. You have made really disrespectful comments about the moderators and Jackie and Heath locking threads, but this is exactly what's puts them in the position of having to do that. You make it uncomfortable for others who are caring and considerate. As for the majority I think they should all send a pm to Jackie and Heath and request that you be asked to leave Cake Central and not come back, even under a new name. I am not generally this opinionated or outspoken but I am angry and fed up with this kind of garbage. So, I have said my piece, the administrators or moderators may lock this thread if they wish. And I apologize to the members here who don't come to get involved in this kind of controversy, we are cake decorators who have a love of the art and wish to share or ask for help.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:56am
post #28 of 46
Quote:

It is not the "job" of our wonderful Gallery Supporters to be the ones to leave comments on the pictures in the Gallery. It's an honor that they took to make sure that everyones cake pic was viewed and commented on. They are a great group of kind hearted people that want to make sure everyone gets treated fairly. Unlike some others here that are just rude. Every one of us should be able to say something nice about every cake we view. If my "Great Job" or "Very pretty" puts a smile on the face of just one person, I will be happy.And if my words of encouragement might lift up the spirits of another member it may just give them the self esteem to continue to perfect their craft.

Quote:

it's NOT my job to critique anyone's work...especially when I don't know the person...or how THIN SKINNED they are.

Some people are just down right rude. Of course it isn't your job... thank goodness!

Quote:

Many times it's not how the criticism is taken but the manner in which it is given. A little tact and kindness goes a long way.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #29 of 46

Ok folks I know NOTHING about computers. I am now getting an error heading saying that I need to enable CC cookies. Was gonna ask DH about it tonight, but is this one of the reasons I am having problems with the gallery?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:07am
post #30 of 46

ShirleyW and Lazy_Susan thumbs up to you too! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%