Orange Specks! (In Yellow Cake Mix)

Decorating By cookielicious Updated 8 Feb 2006 , 7:35pm by angelas2babies

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 6

I just mixed a yellow cake mix from DH and used a CakeDoctor recipe. It has several orange specks in the batter! Is this normal? I went ahead and baked it and it is still in the oven, so I don't know what became of them yet. This cake is just a practice cake (for flavor, texture), so I will probably cut it up and look for those specks! What causes this????

5 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 6

I have no idea what causes it--I can guess that it's artificial coloring in the mix, but don't know for sure.

I have also seen them and when baked, they are not there, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Lisa

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, it must be something to do with the coloring. I've seen these specks in the batter and sometimes even in the baked cake.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 6

The lemon cake I made for my daughters birthday last weekend..each of the 4 boxes of DH I used had them in it! At first, I thought it was from the eggs..but then I saw it in the powdered form of the mix. It did not show up in any of the cakes I baked, and I highly doubt it's anything bad..

This was the first time I had ever seen them though!

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 6

Well, the specks almost disappeared completely. There were a few little ones I noticed, but I was looking!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 6

It's part of the artificial coloring. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%