Making A Cake The Day Before?

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 16 May 2005 , 5:01am by SquirrellyCakes

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 13

IM A BIT CONFUSED AS TO WHAT TO DO.. BEING A BEGINNER icon_smile.gif...
IF MAKING A CAKE THE DAY BEFORE.... DO YOU FREEZE IT?
I HAVE SOME IN THE FREEZER NOW.. WRAPPED IN SARAN WRAP, THEN I WRAPPED IT IN FOIL? BUT, I HAVE THIS FEELING THAT.. OK,I HAND THEM OUT WITH OUT TASTING IT AND WHAT IF THIS... WHAT IF THAT.. LOL!! I GUESS I SHOULD TRY ONE ON MY OWN.. MAYBE THAT WILL EASE MY MIND??

12 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 13

If you're making a cake the day before you're going to deliver or eat it, you don't have to freeze it. You can just store it covered.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, the best thing for you would be to try it. Everyone has their own "method to their madness" icon_wink.gif Just read the tips here and decide what works best for you.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 13

Oh gosh.. the day before???? (wink) that's simply last minute to me (LOL)!! I bake a decorate cakes a few days in advance and they sit on my counter in their little cake box homes waiting to be picked up delivered.

You're fine with the day before....

momof3jotynjake Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

Oh gosh.. the day before???? (wink) that's simply last minute to me (LOL)!! I bake a decorate cakes a few days in advance and they sit on my counter in their little cake box homes waiting to be picked up delivered.

You're fine with the day before....

so, they are already decorated and ready to go for a few days!! thats nice to know! HOW COME THERE is so much talk about freezing theM?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 13

Because some people like to and some don't see the need. Also, some people freezing are talking of weeks in advance of decorating, as for a large wedding cake.

But yes, I regularly decorate up to 4 days in advance without any issues. If it's the high heat of the desert summer, I'll throw them in the fridge. Otherwise, they sit on my "cake counter."

momof3jotynjake Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:

Because some people like to and some don't see the need. Also, some people freezing are talking of weeks in advance of decorating, as for a large wedding cake.

But yes, I regularly decorate up to 4 days in advance without any issues. If it's the high heat of the desert summer, I'll throw them in the fridge. Otherwise, they sit on my "cake counter."

what about the filling in the middle? do you put one?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 13

If I use a fresh fruit filling it gets refrigerated but not frozen. I usually use the fillings that do not have to be refrigerated.

momof3jotynjake Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:

If I use a fresh fruit filling it gets refrigerated but not frozen. I usually use the fillings that do not have to be refrigerated.

great! what kind of fillings do not need to be refridgerated?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:09am
post #10 of 13

The kind I buy from my cake store. There is no label on them, so I don't know what brand they are... I just know they are good and can sit out a little while.

Sorry can't help you. I'm clueless.....

pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 13

What i actually do is make the cake the day before i want to decorate and fill it. I leave them in the pan and cover them with saran wrap. I find that leaving them in the pans leaves less chance of them drying out because you can wrap the entire thing right in the pan! hope that helps icon_wink.gif

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 16 May 2005 , 1:58am
post #12 of 13

HOw long do you let your cakes cool before wrapping? I put mine in the fridge the other day to speed up cooling...and then forgot about it and left it in for the duration....the next day,,,,(ew) I decorated it....Needless to say that was quite a dry cake. ew...but it was the brides white cake and it still tasted good, just crumbly......;o) the kids didnt mind. ;O)

I have to find anew hobby, i am eating too much cake! hahah!!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 16 May 2005 , 5:01am
post #13 of 13

Well, you should never put a cake in the fridge before it is completely cool. Always let your cake cool completely on a cooling rack before wrapping it. Also, some cakes do dry out from being refridgerated, a butter cake is a good example of a cake that tends to do this.
Never wrap a cake or refridgerate or freeze a cake until it is room temperature - usually 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on the size of the cake.
And the reason why you shouldn't do that is this. For one thing, when you cover a cake before it is cooled, you are trapping in the moisture and this is likely to make the cake a bit rubbery or more dense. By refridgerating or freezing a hot cake, you are creating extra condensation and you are also compromising the safety of other foods in the refridgerator or freezer by raising the temperature of these appliances.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%