What To Use For Piping Decorations

Decorating By kitty_kat Updated 8 Feb 2006 , 10:38pm by kitty_kat

kitty_kat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty_kat Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 2:51am
post #1 of 11

I'm completely new to this.....what recipe/type of cream is used to make those lovely piping decorations. I've just bought myself a piping set but I have no idea what to use for the piping cause I know it needs to be fairly thick.

Can anyone help in this regard?

I'm wanting to do white piping

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

10 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 3:35am
post #2 of 11

I just use a simple all Crisco/powdered sugar buttercream for my piping. There are recipes on this site to use. Good luck!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 3:42am
post #3 of 11

You can use a true buttercream or royal icing! All three icings will work fine! It just depends on your consistency!!!

Amy

kitty_kat Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 5:57am
post #4 of 11

thanks I'll give those a go and see how I end up....the practise cake didn't turn out so well so I think I might have to practise a bit more icon_redface.gif

sweetsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsugar Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 11

It does take a lot of practice!

A good recipe to start with is the Wilton one. It tastes vile but it's easiest to learn with. Make it with all shortening at first, it's easier and more durable than butter.
Practice on your cutting board. You can reuse the frosting over and over, and the plastic cutting board makes it easy to just wipe right off.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm
Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine*
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk**
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

YIELD: 3 cups

*Substitute all-vegetable shortening and 1/2 teaspoon Wilton No-Color Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.

kitty_kat Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 12:35am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for that recipe!
I'm having trouble finding the shortening ingredient in my supermarket (must
be cause of being in Australia) I'll keep looking....I might have to go to a cake supply shop of some sort.
I tried some other recipes I found on this site but for some reason they didn't keep the shape of the tips. They just collapsed into one big blob. icon_redface.gif I don't know what I'm doing wrong!! Is it cause of the hot weather here or because I didn't beat the eggs long enough...? I'm so out of my depth with all this I'll need lots and lots of guidance! icon_eek.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 1:14am
post #7 of 11

Squirrelly cakes will save the day! Ask her and she will most likely be able to help you! The humidity might be working against you!!! You might need to use more powdered sugar in your recipe or an all shortening recipe. Good luck!

Amy

hn87519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hn87519 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 1:19am
post #8 of 11

I did a search and came up with this
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-15128-australia.html+shortening

You certainaly do not have to use shortening. I only use butter. Using all butter with the offical Wilton recipe is just as good. If it's really hot you may need to alternate bags, but it will taste a lot better!

Also, use heavy cream or half and half instead of milk. It's also a lot better with real vanilla.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 1:31am
post #9 of 11

We have alot of wonderful decorators from Australia on this site.( One of my dreams is to go there one day). I'm sure they can help you with the Ingredients. I know they have mentioned that you can't get Crisco there. Keep asking, they will be answering soon.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 11

An alternative icing to use is fondant (which developed in Australia). Add a little water to some fondant. Use a pallatte knife to 'mush' it down until you get a smooth paste of piping consistency. It will pipe wonderfully

kitty_kat Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks guys.....I'm gonna give it another shot probably this weekend (its thursday now) So fingers crossed and wish me luck. I'll try out all of your suggestions thenicon_smile.gif

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%