Iso: Creamy Chocolate Buttercream Recipe...

Baking By gmcakes Updated 7 Feb 2006 , 5:22am by stassy

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking for a CREAMY chocolate buttercream recipe. I have been using the Wilton recipe, and I love the taste of it. However, it has given me problems several times over the last few weeks. It keeps "seizing" up or hardening before I can get my cakes decorated. I have tried adding more liquid and adding corn syrup as directed in the origianl recipe...all with less than satisfactory results. I have been using melted chocolate squares, maybe I should try cocoa powder instead?

If anyone has a Creamy Chocolate Frosting recipe that can be used to frost the cake as well as pipe decorations, I would love to give it a try.

Any and ALL suggestions welcome!
Thanks,
glenda

6 replies
Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 7

I just made Chocolate icing for the first time yesterday. I used the
Chocolate Frosting III from this site. It was creamy and you could decorate with it also. I had to put it in the fridge since there is milk and I was not using it til the next day so it got a little hard, but if you served it right away I bet it would be really good. Tastes like the icing you get on brownies! YUM!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 7

I wonder could you use canned milk and not have to refrigerate?

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 7

I used the Wilton recipe this weekend and added 2 oz of unsweetened melted squares to it. I still added the meringue powder and used 1 cup of real butter instead of shortening. It was pretty yummy!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 7

Buttercream icing made with milk can be left at room temp for about two days. The sugar acts as a preservative.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 1:20am
post #6 of 7

This is the one I use. It crusted well and was thick enough to pipe a shell border for me. You can probably add more sugar if it is too thin for what you want to do with it. If you want a less dark icing try half Hershey's Special Dark Dutch Processed cocoa & half regular cocoa. I haven't tried all regular cocoa yet but if you want more of a milk chocolate color, I think this will work great. I used to use Wilton's recipe before I found this one and I like it a lot better.

Quote:
Quote:

Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Frosting
1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 c Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups.

Hope that helps!

stassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stassy Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 5:22am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyface

This is the one I use. It crusted well and was thick enough to pipe a shell border for me. You can probably add more sugar if it is too thin for what you want to do with it. If you want a less dark icing try half Hershey's Special Dark Dutch Processed cocoa & half regular cocoa. I haven't tried all regular cocoa yet but if you want more of a milk chocolate color, I think this will work great. I used to use Wilton's recipe before I found this one and I like it a lot better.

Quote:
Quote:

Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Frosting
1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 c Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups.

Hope that helps!

This is the recipe I use all the time, but I use 1/3 cocoa and it's delish. It's so creamy and easy to decorate with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%