Doll Heads?!

Decorating By cakecrumb Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm by KrisD13

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:07am
post #1 of 25

Okay, I just bought the Wilton wondermold pan today and it comes with 1 doll pick. I planned on trying to make a cake of a princess with her pretty hair up, tiara, etc. thumbs_up.gif

Well, I don't know if everyone uses real Barbie dolls when they do these cakes or what but all I have to ask about that doll pick is...
HOW on earth do you tame that mane?!!! Its crazy! That doll pick belongs in an 80's video! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

What do you all do if you want an up-do on the doll? icon_cry.gif Should I try a little Pantene on her? Maybe some Frizzeez?

Seriously, is the only way to get a nice 'princess' up-do to buy a princess Barbie?

Any help is appreciated. icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

24 replies
SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:16am
post #2 of 25

i know what u mean! icon_lol.gif ...if u look at my snow white doll cake in my gallery, she looks nothing but snow white except for her gown..i was scared to take off the snow white's head from my daughter's doll but u can swap it..i've read a lot of our fellow cc'ers doing exactly that..they also mentioned how easy it is especially for newer barbies..HTH.. icon_wink.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:19am
post #3 of 25

Cakecrumb... I am in the same boat! I want to make a doll cake, but the Wilton heads are JUST...PLAIN...UGLY!!! They really look awful in my personal opinion. I will have to try the swapping the barbie head trick and see how that works! Glad you started this thread so I could see that tip!

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:24am
post #4 of 25

There is a website that has techniques for doing updo's for barbie dolls

For the wonder mold doll pick, I just put some mousse in her hair and put it up in a pony tail. Her hair isn't long enough for an updo that I could do. The pony tail looks decent. YOu can see it in my photos.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:27am
post #5 of 25

I use Barbies for the doll cakes I've done. Much prettier! I did a Cinderella cake a while back and it was nice because I didn't have to touch the hair, it was perfect! The Kelly Barbie dolls work really well for smash cakes, too!

Just a tip, I wrap any part of the doll that will be in the cake with saran wrap.

Good luck!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecrumb

HOW on earth do you tame that mane?!!! Its crazy! That doll pick belongs in an 80's video! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

What do you all do if you want an up-do on the doll? icon_cry.gif Should I try a little Pantene on her? Maybe some Frizzeez?

Seriously, is the only way to get a nice 'princess' up-do to buy a princess Barbie?

icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

ROFLOL!! icon_lol.gif Sorry for laughing so hard but the way you put this is cracked me up!! Just today I bought the wondermold in hopes of making a Barbie doll cake in the near future and now I am scared to open the box for fear of what might come flying out at me!! icon_lol.gif

Glad you started this thread because now maybe I won't be in such shock when I take my frizzy head out of the box! I am no hair stylist that is for sure!!

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:39am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun33082

There is a website that has techniques for doing updo's for barbie dolls

For the wonder mold doll pick, I just put some mousse in her hair and put it up in a pony tail. Her hair isn't long enough for an updo that I could do. The pony tail looks decent. YOu can see it in my photos.

Your doll is gorgeous! I put her in my favorites. You did a wonderful job on her hair so I'll have to remember to mousse mine up good when I take her out of the box. You would think Wilton could at least send them with a decent hairdo since it is only half a doll!! Oh well, yours give me lots of inspiration. You did a beautiful job on her from top to bottom!

cakecrumb Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:46am
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

ROFLOL!! icon_lol.gif Sorry for laughing so hard but the way you put this is cracked me up!! Just today I bought the wondermold in hopes of making a Barbie doll cake in the near future and now I am scared to open the box for fear of what might come flying out at me!! icon_lol.gif

Teekakes: I suggest you arm yourself with a shield and a high powered can of Frizzeez!

The box that it came in was taped in 2 different places and I was thinking to myself 'wow, is there really a need to tape it twice?!' ...well, apparently there was!! There was an out of control mane in there!

***Proceed with caution*** icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:50am
post #9 of 25

You are all HILARIOUS. I popped her head off both times I did a doll cake. I could not control the frizz. I can barely tame my hair! thumbs_up.gif

Angie

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:56am
post #10 of 25

[quote="cakecrumb"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Teekakes: I suggest you arm yourself with a shield and a high powered can of Frizzeez!

The box that it came in was taped in 2 different places and I was thinking to myself 'wow, is there really a need to tape it twice?!' ...well, apparently there was!! There was an out of control mane in there!

***Proceed with caution*** icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh my gosh! ROFLOL WITH CRAMPS! My husband is cackling over this one now too! Geeeeeeeeeeeez! Your going to make me go get that wired wig out of the box before I go to bed aren't you!!!! Ok, I am heading BACK downstairs to get that thing unpacked! I'll take a quick digi picture and post my findings for you momentarily. Stay tuned for the season premire of "The Out of Control Mane"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:08am
post #11 of 25

You know, the worst part isn't even that she comes with a bad hairdo... (I'd like to see YOUR coiff after several months wrapped in a plastic bax and shoved in a box! icon_lol.gif Hahaha!) the bigger issue is that it's really cheap plastic hair. It's not as high quality as Barbie dolls are. That hair is easier to work with.

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:17am
post #12 of 25

Hey! I was pleasantly surprised when I took "the thing" out of the box! She needs a little fixing but overall I think she looks "decent". What do you think? My husband and I are really cracking up over this one now! He is laying in bed and I am handing him this brunette barbie doll pick to inspect!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
LL
LL

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #13 of 25

I happen to love cakes and BARBIES - so here is the key to fixing the hair - boiling water!!!! The hair is made of a plastic material and dunking the hair in boiling water will soften it and make it pliable. Comb it out straight while it is hot. If you want some really nice curls in it use a small rubber band like you use for orthodontic braces and put it up in a high pony hail. Then you can section the hair and roll it on the smallest perm rods you can find. Once you have it all rolled up dunk it back in boiling water to "set it." Let it cool, take it down and then you can adjust the curls or curl it out or style it however. I have saved a few 80's do's like that. Hope this helps.

cakecrumb Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:25am
post #14 of 25

WOW!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif What a looker!!

Its like the doll pick had a makeover and mine is the "before" picture. Your girl is the "after".

I wish I had a digital camera to show you her crazy mane.

cakecrumb Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:26am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnebouche

I happen to love cakes and BARBIES - so here is the key to fixing the hair - boiling water!!!! The hair is made of a plastic material and dunking the hair in boiling water will soften it and make it pliable. Comb it out straight while it is hot. If you want some really nice curls in it use a small rubber band like you use for orthodontic braces and put it up in a high pony hail. Then you can section the hair and roll it on the smallest perm rods you can find. Once you have it all rolled up dunk it back in boiling water to "set it." Let it cool, take it down and then you can adjust the curls or curl it out or style it however. I have saved a few 80's do's like that. Hope this helps.

wow. thanks for the tip! i think i might give that a try. thumbs_up.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:06am
post #16 of 25

Just a question here.....

sun33082, what is the website for Barbie styling? I've just spend the last hour trying to find in and I've had no luck. Can you post the link, please?

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:25am
post #17 of 25

I just bought the pan, I tried to fix the hair and it wasn't working for me. I went out and bought a Barbie that had pretty hair! I am making this cake for my mom's birthday, she would always buy us doll cakes for our birthdays, so I thought it would be fun to make her one. Teekakes your doll pick looks a lot better than the one I got!

Melvira Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:03pm
post #18 of 25

Hey, she really looks good! I don't know about all this plastic nudity though... someone might get the wrong idea if they stumble in here... this this is a dirty dolly site. icon_wink.gif

And WOW bonnebouche... you are like the Barbie goddess!! Something tells me I would've loved hanging with you as a kid... you probably had the best looking Barbies in town! icon_wink.gif

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:57pm
post #19 of 25

Here are the websites. Sorry I didn't bother to post earlier. Didn't think I'd ever be able to find it, but then remembered the thread that I found them in was under my "watched topics." Gotta love CC icon_smile.gif

http://www.employees.org/~jbp/pages/swirlupdo.html

http://www.employees.org/~jbp/pages/updo.html

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:05pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnebouche

Thanks for that tip! I'll try it should I ever get one of those out of control manes! I have the little tiny latex rubber bands you are talking about too. They are wonderful to have around for lots of craft projects. icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecrumb

WOW!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif What a looker!!

Its like the doll pick had a makeover and mine is the "before" picture. Your girl is the "after".

I wish I had a digital camera to show you her crazy mane.

Oh you are toooooooo much! LOL A looker huh. That is NOT what my husband had to say but oh well...........she is plastic! haha!

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by neni

Teekakes your doll pick looks a lot better than the one I got!

Gosh, I am feeling really lucky here! I think if I would have retrieved a wild do out of my box she probably would have ended up right in the trash and been replaced with a boxed barbie. I am a barbie fan too and might go in to hysterical withdrawels if I saw one with such an awful do! LOL................

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:13pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hey, she really looks good! I don't know about all this plastic nudity though... someone might get the wrong idea if they stumble in here... this this is a dirty dolly site. icon_wink.gif

And WOW bonnebouche... you are like the Barbie goddess!! Something tells me I would've loved hanging with you as a kid... you probably had the best looking Barbies in town! icon_wink.gif

Oh! I never thought about the nudity issue! icon_surprised.gif Surely not!!! icon_rolleyes.gif Do you think?? icon_confused.gif

How funny! I am thinking I have been house bound for much to long!!!

Teekakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:21pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun33082

Here are the websites. Sorry I didn't bother to post earlier. Didn't think I'd ever be able to find it, but then remembered the thread that I found them in was under my "watched topics." Gotta love CC icon_smile.gif

http://www.employees.org/~jbp/pages/swirlupdo.html

http://www.employees.org/~jbp/pages/updo.html

Wow, sun33082, those are some fancy Barbie up-do's and may be a bit complicated for these hands but I will sure give them a try. Especially the first one. The second one, that requires the really long hair, would probably have me in the boxing ring with Barbie before all was said and done. Barbie would win. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the links!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #25 of 25

Thanks for that link, sun33082!

I've bookmarked it already...super looking up-do's!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%