Too Cool - I Met Duff Today!!!

Decorating By LoriGross Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 3:04pm by BCo

LoriGross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriGross Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:55am
post #1 of 26

I went to the Mid-Atlantic Cake Show today, held in Westminster, MD. There were so many beautiful cakes.

It was awesome to see such beautiful work. What was more exciting was meeting Nicholas Lodge, Warren Brown, and Duff Goldman!!

I literally turned around and Duff was standing behind me. I felt like a "cake groupie" and could only say something silly like, "I love your show and your cakes." icon_redface.gif

He was very gracious - as were the other folks.

It was a really great show and if you are in the area, I would encourage you to attend tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me share! icon_biggrin.gif

25 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:02am
post #2 of 26

Wow, what an awesome experience!! Wish I could go!

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:04am
post #3 of 26

Wow! How exciting for you! You did great. Me, I would of been so nervous that I probably would of said something really stupid like "Can I have your recipes."

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:17am
post #4 of 26

I met Duff & Geof up here in Minnesota when they were here for the FN Challenge... My gosh I look like an idiot in the picture I got... The funny part is that I've done professional stage performance work so I don't get "star struck" anymore, and I have encountered people who have had that "she's a star" reaction towards me.. but for Duff... I guess we all have our own moments icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif SWOOOOOOON! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #5 of 26

I'm so jealous.... icon_sad.gif

If only I wasn't living that far away.....

sigh... one day.....

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:08am
post #6 of 26

Reminds me of when I went to a scrapbooking thing and met Becky Higgins from Creating Keepsakes magazine. I was like, um, uh, uh, can I have my, uh, picture taken with, uh, you? Such a dork I am! LOL!

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:22am
post #7 of 26

Wow! That's so cool! thumbs_up.gif Wish I could've met him/them!!!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:27am
post #8 of 26

I met him too!!! Here the picture I got with him!

~Chelle

***Moderator Edited***

Your MUST crop or blur out, all people's faces before uploading your photos. Uploading photos with people's faces, even your own face is a violation of Cakecentral.com's terms and your photo uploading privileges will be revoked.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #9 of 26

Wow, congratulations! Sounds like you had a great day. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:41am
post #10 of 26

party.gif woohoo! I'm so happy for youhoo!

I'll probably never ever ever get to be so lucky

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:59am
post #11 of 26

WOW! How nice for you. I'll be there tomorrow, hopefully I 'll meet him as well. icon_biggrin.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:18am
post #12 of 26

I'd be a gibbering wreck if I met any of my cake heroes - Bush, Blair etc. I could meet without a blink, but Colette Peters, Margaret Braun etc. I'd fall apart!

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:42am
post #13 of 26

Wow, you two are so lucky! I would love to meet Duff! Of course, I probably wouldn't even be able to speak to ask for a picture, LOL. He's a favorite of mine, very sexy.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 26

Duff? Seriously? A tad arrogant I think, although that does turn some people on!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm
post #15 of 26

Oh You Girls!!! I am in such a state of envy. I know it must have been a thrill for you. Wish I could have been there. Not only to meet Duff, but to see all those gorgeous cake entries. Post pictures please, lots of pictures.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 26

That is too cool! We were thinking of going to that show this weekend, but had too much to do at home (its 5 hours away)

I am taking a class with Nicholas Lodge in July and I am hoping I am not a complete fool when I meet him! I think he is the best in the business when it comes to gum paste.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 26

Im so jealous!! I was planning on going until I realized that march 10th is my nephew's 1st birthday and I promised my sister in law I'd make his cake 8( Maybe next year...

LoriGross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriGross Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:56pm
post #18 of 26

Loriemoms: There was a flyer at the cake show, advertising another show in Chespeake, VA on October 6th, I believe. It was the Tidewater Cake Show, or something like that. That might be a little closer to you. Sorry I don't remember much more than that.

I've seen the Nicholas Lodge classes advertised. I would imagine they would be great! He's renowned for his gumpaste flowers. I think it would so exciting to take a class from him. Enjoy that!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 11:53pm
post #19 of 26

Oh- me too - I met him too this Saturday - I'll post pictures tomorrow- I got a few pics with all the judges- and let me just say Sandy was soooo nice and she sat and talked to me for about 10 minutes and offered so much advice and info. I love her!

I just about started a riot when Duff walked in - I feel bad b/c I was sitting there watching Warren Brown's demo and I just happened to look to my left and there he was paying for his ticket - I turned around to tell my son and SIL who were sitting two rows behind me and I TRIED to be quiet about it b/c I didn't want to be rude to Warren (but I was SOOO excited) and the man directly behind me heard me and then so did a few others and the guy said - "your're going to start a riot" LOL So I quietly got up (oh, my I am sooo rude) and my son and I went to meet Duff and we got our picture with him and chatted for a few minutes and he was great - I'm such an idiot - my hands were shaking and I was like a teenager with a major crush!! LOL

I will post tomorrow when I have more time all about the show and I'll up load all my pictures- I'm such a cake geek!! LOL But I did go back to Warren's demo and then met him too afterwards! I just couldn't help myself! They ALL were super nice and were so gracious with their time and knowledge! It was a lot of fun!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:50am
post #20 of 26

CC is linked from Duff's website, at the very bottom of the FAQ page. Cool!

"We wish we could answer every question in stupendously personalized detail. However, due to the insano crazy number of emails we get, thats simply not possible and we cant answer questions about decorating. If youre looking for cake technique info, check out the books Cakewalk by Margaret Braun, Cakes To Dream On by Colette Peters, and Larry Powells Big Book of Cake Decorating. The web forums at www.sugarbuzz.us and www.cakecentral.com are also wonderful resources. " http://www.charmcitycakes.com/noflash/index.cfm?rd=faq

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:01am
post #21 of 26

LOL... I'm sitting here thinking "O.k. I can just imagine Mary Alice or (can't remember the other gal's name who pops on here from there) coming onto the boards and breaking out into a gut busting laugh at us icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .."(or worse yet, they show this to Duff on a day he needs his ego stroked and show it on a day they're filming at the bakery).. Oh man... too funny listening to all of us having the same school girl crush icon_razz.gificon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Btw, I wonder what happened with that one magazine that had the intern contest...

BCo Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:39pm
post #22 of 26

That's funny you mentioned the intern contest b/c my son said - Mom, I'm going to go tell Duff that you entered a contest to be his intern! LOL - I was like - uh, no you're not!! Then he'll really think I'm a stalker! But it was too cute- I think my son was excited for me to be able to meet Duff and talk with him - He was the one pushing me to chat and get a pic with him! lol

I think it was Jane magazine - we'll have to check their site to see how we can find the winner!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:53pm
post #23 of 26

It really was a great show. It was also really funny that Warren lost half of his audience's attention when Duff walked in!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:11pm
post #24 of 26

That is so awesome! You must have been thrilled. I know I would be!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:54pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

Oh man... too funny listening to all of us having the same school girl crush icon_razz.gificon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

My friend and I were joking around and I told her it would be fine with me if he came home with me icon_surprised.gif

BCo Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:04pm
post #26 of 26

LOL- My hands were shaking for about 20 minutes after I took my picture with Duff - I was like - OMG- Duff just touched me - he put his arm around me!! LOL -

No, but seriously - my hands were shaking for the next 20 minutes! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%