Way Ot! Attention: Cakeman66, Others W/ Info?

Decorating By gmcakes Updated 9 Feb 2006 , 5:13am by chellebelle

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 12

Cakeman66 has a signature line that reads "I bake for www.asoldierswishlist.org".

I clicked on the link for the site but saw no mention of "baking". I would love more information, it seems like a worthwhile cause...my kids would love to bake cookies for something like this!

Thanks!
glenda usaribbon.gif

11 replies
vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 12

Gmcakes, I was just on the website and clicked send a package and all the information is on there. I am sending them an email asking if our family can contribute. I am not sure cause I am canadian so I will need extra information cause we don't have usps in my area.

Hope this helps.

Sylvie

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 12

I was just talking to my Ma a few moments ago, when she visited, about the responses I'd gotten about this organization. It IS very legit, and they "sponser" over 2000 Soldiers, by sending goodies to keep their spirits up. Doens't have to be anything food related either.

YES, it's well worth contacting them about this. I'm not the only one that bakes for them, but when I do, it's usually big orders. They ship packages every month to soldiers, not just in Iraq. So whatever your views on the "war" are, forget them and support the soldiers, please. They don't make enough money to put their own lives on the line. They also, most of them, share whatever comes in their persoal packages with each other, and kids and adults of Iraqi Descent.

You can contact Julieann who runs the organization out of her home. (I don't know how, because it's a small house, but she does.)

Let me know in a PM or here, if you ned more info that's not covered.

Thanks for your interest.

CM66

P.S. - If you are serious about baking for them, it get's up into the tens of dozens of cookies that I personally bake at times for them, so it can take days of your time. But, as I said, it's well worth it.

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 12

This is a great idea. My brother is in S. Korea. I would love to send him some baked goods but I don't really know how to package this type of thing. I would think by time he got them they would have gone bad. If you know how to package cookies ect. I would love to know how so I could send stuff to him. TIA

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 12

The baked goods don't go bad, or haven't yet. (that was my biggest fear, as I like my Choco Chip cookies to be eaten while they're still soft and chewy, not dunkers). When we sent pkgs in November for X-mas arrival, we were aware that it could take 6 weeks to get the pkgs to the Soldiers.

If you have the info for your brother, I'm sure Julieann can give you some tips, if you contact her be email. BTW, yesterday was a packing day, so if she doesn't get to you right away, she will ASAP.

BTW, The soldiers really do love getting packages from "strangers", judging by the letters that the organization get's back from them. Some people don't have ANYONE to send them things like this, so it makes you feel even better.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 12:04am
post #6 of 12

I had never heard of the organization before seeing it in your signature Cakeman66! Thanks for the information, will definitely have to give this some serious thought. I would love to participate in some way! I have a cousin in Iraq, I know how special that "little something from home" can be.

Thanks for the info!

glenda

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 12

I had never heard of it either until Cakeman66's post. I emailed the website, they sent me a soldier's name, and I'm getting a package ready as we speak! This is a great idea, and makes you feel like you're helping the soldiers out! thumbs_up.gif

BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 3:12am
post #8 of 12

I tried sending an e-mail this past Sunday, and it came back undeliverable! What e-mail address did you use? I am not sure I would be sending baked goods, but my girls love putting together packages and writing letters to the soldiers!

Tina

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 4:44am
post #9 of 12

Yes, I had the same problem with the link on the website. I sent it again to: "[email protected]" and told them of the problem. She said she would look into it. icon_smile.gif

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 4:50am
post #10 of 12

Thanks to everyone who does stuff like this! My brother is in Iraq right now, and I know those guys and gals appreciate getting anything....even just a card!

Please continue to support and pray for our troops!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:06am
post #11 of 12

Thanks to CakeMan, our family now has a soldier! We were looking for a way to support someone overseas, and Julieann gave us the name and wishlist for a soldier in Iraq. (Julieann seems very nice, BTW) We're going shopping tomorrow for goodies for him! Yay!!

Deanna

chellebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebelle Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:13am
post #12 of 12

I noticed it in your siggie the other day. I have bookmarked it and will sit down with Hubby soon and see if we can't swing a donation. The doc I work for has a step son over there and I have many military friends.

Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%