Bc Cake Mix Baked In A Tube Pan??? Help, Please.

Decorating By bakersofcakes Updated 5 Feb 2006 , 3:57pm by SquirrellyCakes

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 2:20am
post #1 of 4

I need to bake a Betty Crocker Butter Recipe White cake mix in a tube pan, NOT a bundt pan. I need the smooth pan here. The box instructions' bake times are for bundt pans. Is there even enough batter for a tube pan? I'll be using whole eggs, too. Any advice/suggestions? Should I use 2 mixes or would that be too heavy to bake at once? Should I bake 2 mixes separately & ice between? I don't really need the extra cake 'cause it's for a family b-day. I have thought about cake extender, but have never tried one before & money's too short to waste right now! icon_smile.gif I guess I'm just wondering if 1 mix will be enough? icon_confused.gif
Thanks,
bakersofcakes

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 4:10am
post #2 of 4

Well kiddo, before I had a bundt pan I always used a tube pan and it worked fine. However, it likely won't come up as high as the top of the pan but certainly high enough. Because of the design of these pans they bake up fairly high anyway and two layers would be too much - your cake will be about 3-4 inches high. I would just go with the one mix in the pan and check it about 5 minutes before the time alloted for the bundt pan, just to be safe, it may take the full time or 5 minutes more or less. Because I don't use Betty Crocker mixes I am not sure how much you will get in the pan, I use Dincan hInes but it shouldn't make much difference. But the cake will bake just fine, I still do this all the time. I do tend to use 1/2 cup oil and I throw in an extra egg, so 4 eggs total. I reduce water required to 1 cup or use 1 cup milk. I also use a pack of instant pudding. But you will be fine. 1 tube cake serves about 12-15. Oh, I also use Crisco and flour to grease the pan and usually cut a ring out of waxed paper or parchment to line it, don't bother greasing the paper though, just put it in the pan after the pan is greased and floured. You don't need to but it is just an extra precaution I like to use.
Hugs Squirrelly

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, SquirrellyCakes!

Would you bake it at 350 (box instructions) or 325? My pan is light-colored, not dark & not non-stick, just old-fashioned aluminum.

P.S. I don't usually use BC mix for decorated cakes since I prefer Duncan Hines, too.

-bakersofcakes icon_biggrin.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersofcakes

Thanks, SquirrellyCakes!

Would you bake it at 350 (box instructions) or 325? My pan is light-colored, not dark & not non-stick, just old-fashioned aluminum.

P.S. I don't usually use BC mix for decorated cakes since I prefer Duncan Hines, too.

-bakersofcakes icon_biggrin.gif

Hi kiddo,
I bake these at 350F unless the recipe calls for lower. It will be fine! It is likely a 10 inch tube pan as most of them are now. Just check it with a toothpick about 5 minutes ahead of the time the box suggests. Could go five minutes either way, or a bit longer. I actually prefer these pans as that inner tube makes the cakes bake more evenly.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%