Wilton Bc Or Dawn's Bc??

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 12 Apr 2005 , 7:36pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 26

Ok, im about ready to make some BC icing!! NOW>>>>
which icing do you guys recommend? WIlton BC or dawns BC???

tahnks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i want these cakes to be just right!! im passing them out to the neighbors icon_biggrin.gif

25 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 26

As long as its made with real butter you cant go wrong... but its my understanding that Cali4Dawns is the choice. I havent tried it YET, but this weekend I made wiltons with real butter and it was out of this world! Decorated nicely too!

momof3jotynjake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

As long as its made with real butter you cant go wrong... but its my understanding that Cali4Dawns is the choice. I havent tried it YET, but this weekend I made wiltons with real butter and it was out of this world! Decorated nicely too!

did you make it with the 1/2 c. short. 1/2 c. butter?
or the 1c. shortening, 1tsp, buttor flavoring?

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 26

Wilton's is probably good as long as you add the butter. I've never used it, so I can't say.

momof3jotynjake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

Wilton's is probably good as long as you add the butter. I've never used it, so I can't say.

Ok everyoen!!
dawns BC recipe ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks dawn!!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:42am
post #6 of 26

So, I take it you made a batch????

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:46am
post #7 of 26

Oh yeah- everyone needs to remember that I did not make up this recipe. I did make up the modifications for roses.. but I did not make up the recipe. I guess I've been using it and advocating it for so long that it has now become known as mine.

I don't want to take credit for something I did not do. I got it from another decorator about 2 years ago.

But man, it's good... huh???!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:54am
post #8 of 26

Calidawn, I saved and printed your BC for frozen transfers, do you use the same one for icing the cake? Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:56am
post #9 of 26

Yes, I use it for 99% of my buttercream needs.

momof3jotynjake Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 4:03am
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

Oh yeah- everyone needs to remember that I did not make up this recipe. I did make up the modifications for roses.. but I did not make up the recipe. I guess I've been using it and advocating it for so long that it has now become known as mine.

I don't want to take credit for something I did not do. I got it from another decorator about 2 years ago.

But man, it's good... huh???!

ooo yes!! very good! thank you!!!!

you know what i had a hard time with, knowing how much icing to put a side to decorate with and how much icing to thin for icing the cake...
i guess ill learn with time.. lol! thanks

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 4:05am
post #11 of 26

Thanks, just wanted to be sure.

I have a cake to deliver on Monday and will use your recipe this weekend. Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

you know what i had a hard time with, knowing how much icing to put a side to decorate with and how much icing to thin for icing the cake...
i guess ill learn with time.. lol! thanks

Oh gosh, I still have to think about that every time I decorate.

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 7:42am
post #13 of 26

I have only been decorating a few months but it seems that this will always be a situation to deal with as far as setting aside how much for decorating etc. I have to think really hard so I don't run out if I'm using colors etc etc. I think it's just trial and error and most of the time I overestimate and always have too much leftover. As far as the Wilton BC or Dawns - wilton's CLASS BC - NASTY! Now 1/2 Crisco 1/2 butter is what I use and it's soo much better than the CLASS, but I've printed off a copy of Dawn's and will be trying it soon as I am in search of that perfect BC to fit my style!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 26

Okay, so now where do I find this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!! I must try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy

Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 4:24pm
post #15 of 26

Where do I find Dawn's BC recipe? I have to do another cake tomorrow and two next week and all I have ever used is the decorator icing. Maybe I will get brave enough to post mine...I am my worst critic.

momof3jotynjake Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie

Where do I find Dawn's BC recipe? I have to do another cake tomorrow and two next week and all I have ever used is the decorator icing. Maybe I will get brave enough to post mine...I am my worst critic.

here is the link to the bc! sooo yummmy
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-0-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 4:58pm
post #17 of 26

I actually prefer both......kind of.

For decorating where super-stiff icing (like roses) is needed, I will make a half or quarter batch of the Wilton all-sortening icing (with butter flavoring added).

For icing a cake....it's an all-butter recipe...

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 26

I love Dawn's buttercream recipe and I've gotten lots of compliments on it since switching from the Wilton recipe. Mix it with ganache to make a chocolate buttercream or cream cheese and it's so tasty!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 7:39pm
post #19 of 26

Dawn's butercream recipe is a winner, hands down! It crusts beautifully, smells oh-so-yummy, tastes even better, what more could ya ask for?!?

momof3jotynjake Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 7:58pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletmom

Dawn's butercream recipe is a winner, hands down! It crusts beautifully, smells oh-so-yummy, tastes even better, what more could ya ask for?!?

mmmm mmm!! ill agree triplet!1

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:21pm
post #21 of 26

1.5 cups butter
1 cup shortening
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 pounds powdered sugar

you may use milk or a milk product to thin as needed. Do not use water.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 6:43pm
post #22 of 26

hehe Dawn icon_lol.gif
Isn't it supposed to be 2 teaspoons not 2 tablespoons.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 7:11pm
post #23 of 26

Nope- 2 tablespoons... I got this one right!! (wink)ROFLMAO!!!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 7:13pm
post #24 of 26

OK, just checking, I know you had it wrong somewhere else, did not want to get myself confuseded icon_confused.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 7:23pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

OK, just checking, I know you had it wrong somewhere else, did not want to get myself confuseded icon_confused.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

OK LOL NOW IM CONFUSED. THE ONE FROM THE INTERNET ON THIS WEBSITE SAYS 2 TSP??? lMFAO!!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 7:36pm
post #26 of 26

No, it probably says 2T- which in the states is tablespoons. If it says 2t- then that is teaspoons.... if it's not that- it's wrong and I apologize (Have I ever mentioned I'm dyslexic- for real???) anyway... I'm trying to do better about typing out tablespoon and teaspoon since we are international....

But it is tablespoon- or, actually, more or less based on your preference... I honestly just pour it in straight from the bottle- I don't measure....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%