Angel Food Cake

Baking By loriemoms Updated 4 Feb 2006 , 10:23pm by SquirrellyCakes

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking for a good recipe for Angel Food cake that is low in fat, and sugar, but doesn't have a funky aftertaste. Does anyone have one?

(I am also always in search for a good angel food cake recipe that can be served "naked" as well!)

Thanks!

5 replies
niki97062 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki97062 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 6

I would try www.cookinglight.com
They have low fat recipes and don't use chemicals, artificial sugars, and things like that.

Another good idea would be to serve the cake with a raspberry sauce. It can be as easy as pureeing some frozen berries and doctoring it up a bit. That website will also have easy, elegant recipes for something like this.

loriemoms Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 12:33am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I will check it out!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 2:12am
post #4 of 6

All angel food cakes are low in fat because you don't use fat in an angel food cake so they are virtually fat-free as the traces of fat in egg whites are almost non-existent. I have yet to find one that is low in sugar and tastes good but I hear in the U.S. you can purchase one at a grocery store that is sugar free.
This is the one I use:
1 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
room temperature egg-whites at least 3 days old if farm-fresh, approximately 8-12 to make up 1 1/2 cups of egg-whites
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. real brown pure vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 cup granulated sugar
Sift flour and measure out the 1 cup required. Sift flour and the first amount of sugar, the 1/2 cup, sifting together 3 times. Use 2 pieces of waxed paper to sift onto.
Beat egg-whites until frothy, then add cream of tartar, salt, vanilla and almond extract. Beat until soft peaks form. Soft peaks will hold shape but fall over when you test with a spoon.
Add the second amount of sugar, the one cup, but add 1 tbsp. at a time, continuing to beat on high with the wire whisk, 8-10 on a Kitchen Aid until it is all added and stiff peaks form. Stiff peaks hold their shape and will not fall over. Fold in 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time and fold using spatula. Turn into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 375F for about 35 minutes. It should spring back when lightly touched with your fingers. Invert pan over a heat-proof funnel or wine bottle resting tube on bottle neck and allow to completely cool in this manner. When the pan and cake are completely cool, loosen sides with a knife and thump the bottom of the pan several times sharply to release cake.
You should make sure that all items used in the making of an angel food cake are completely grease-free for the best performance. Never grease an angel food pan when making an angel food cake as it totally alters the texture of your cake.

loriemoms Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 10:33am
post #5 of 6

Thank you! That looks like a very delicious recipe!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Thank you! That looks like a very delicious recipe!

It is great and if you haven't a lot of experience with angel food cakes, don't let them scare you, the method makes them sound a bit scarier but they are really quite easy to make!
Hugs Squirrely

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%