Easter Lily, March Lily... Help

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 7:07pm by marthajo1

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 7

My SIL wants a cake with the yellow March lily, or some call them Easter lily on it. I cannot make a flower to save me. Can they be made from MMF, or is BC better ? I have no idea where to begin so if anyone could give me a helping hand it would be great. thanks.

6 replies
brightbrats Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 7

Woole2- Thanks for the Bump.

missybase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missybase Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 7

They're actually a fairly easy flower to make, if you've got the right tools. I make them with royal icing, so they dry hard. I think buttercream wouldn't work very well, they'd flop over. Here are the directions from wilton.com:
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/lily.cfm

I make the recipe from the wilton coursebooks for royal icing, and pipe them into a foil lined lily nail. Then I pick the foil up and put it into an egg carton to let them dry--it helps them keep their shape.
(Here's the lily nail:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DAB4-475A-BAC0-55C9453462F55FAE)

brightbrats Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:58am
post #4 of 7

I have been everywhere looking for a Lily nail set. Where do you guys get them ? I need it for this week-end. Earlier really, I need to practice, I have never made them. Is there anything else I could use in place of the nail. My daughter has a really small funnel, that came with something, do you think that might work? If it is a stupid suggestion, then forgive me, because I am not completely sure what the nail looks like, but I know everywhere around is out. Anyone have any ideas ?

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:13am
post #5 of 7

If you are wanting to make what people around here call an Easter lily, it is actually a daffodil or jonquil. Here's that link:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/daffodil.cfm

I know that all the old timers here call them Easter lillies but that isn't the correct name for them. An Easter lily is the big white flower with the yellow thing in the middle.

Diane

missybase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missybase Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 7

You might be able to use a small funnel--just put a piece of foil in it and press down the middle to make a small (maybe an inch or so) indentation in the foil)

I got mine in the course 3 wilton kit.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 7

Anything you make on foil in lily nail is going to take time to dry. Our instructor said to give them a week. When I tried to take mine off the foil after a few days they cracked because they weren't dry all the way. They are pretty though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%