Passion Fruit Mousse Recipe?

Baking By Lillybelle Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 4:33pm by snarkybaker

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 12

I am looking for a passion fruit mousse recipe. I bought a liquid passion fruit puree from BevMo and I have no idea what to put in with it thicker and creamier and basically to make it a mousse. Any help is appreciated. I am definitely novice.

11 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 12
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 12

glad you got a response! I asked about this awhile ago, to no avail. The post got buried, I think.

thanks for asking again! thumbs_up.gif We had passionfruit mousse in our wedding cake, and I've been trying to find a good recipe...

I also bought passion fruit puree from BevMo, was it about $5? If so, it's not pure passion fruit puree (I emailed the company). I haven't opened it yet to taste it, though. just FYI!

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks everyone!

Cryssi, I did have the filling for my wedding cake, too. I wonder if it was the same place. Are you in San Diego?

And we probably have the same puree/not puree. I was hoping to reduce it and somehow thicken it up. We'll see. I am going to check out all of these recipes and experiment a bit.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 12

if its a thickened liquid (like a smoothie texture) you could easily thicken it by disolving about 3 tb of cornstarch in a small amount of COLD water per one and 1/2 cups of juice. heat it to a simmer, stir constantly until thickened. chill. you should end up with a very thick fruit puree that spreads well and holds up as a nice 1/4" layer of filling.

cryssi Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillybelle

Thanks everyone!

Cryssi, I did have the filling for my wedding cake, too. I wonder if it was the same place. Are you in San Diego?

And we probably have the same puree/not puree. I was hoping to reduce it and somehow thicken it up. We'll see. I am going to check out all of these recipes and experiment a bit.

not from SD, and probably not the same place...we got married at Disneyland! LOL I've been kind of obsessive about passionfruit lately, though...I'm thinking of planting some in my backyard...lol!

btw, a lot of these recipes have orange juice in them...I don't want orange flavor in my passionfruit...jmo

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 12

Passion fruit curd and mousse are two of my best selling fillings. I also make a passionfruit meringue pie that will knock you socks off.

For passion-fruit curd
6 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup thawed unsweetened passion-fruit (maracuyá) purée* such as Goya brand
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Make curd:
Whisk together eggs, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl until smooth.

Heat passion-fruit purée in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until heated through, then add hot purée to egg mixture in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Return to saucepan. Whisk in butter, 1 cube at a time, over moderate heat and cook, whisking frequently, until mixture is thickened and just comes to a boil, about 6 minutes. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes more. Force curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and chill, its surface covered with wax paper, at least 8 hours.

To make the curd into a mousse that will be strong enough to fill and stack, take 1 package of know gelatin and sprinkle it over 2 T. water. ( I actually use sheet gelatin, and use three sheets) Add, the gelatin to 2 c. heavy cream and whip to soft peaks. ( Don't over whip, or you can't fold your mousse. It will be lumpy.

Fold in curd to taste. I like mine tart, so I add one cup curd to 2 cups cream.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:42am
post #9 of 12

mmmmmmmmm sounds yummy!

cryssi Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 12

thanks for the recipe!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 12

yum! i love passion fruit. i should try this some time. what kinda cake do you use for this filling?

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 12

I use it with vanilla cognac cake, with a second filling of vanilla bean pastry cream and fresh raspberries. I usually make amaretto IMBC to ice the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%